Airport Rules/Almost had a free gun!

This is a discussion on Airport Rules/Almost had a free gun! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Odd occurrence while flying out of Atlanta. I declare my pistol and take it over to the TSA guy for my bag to be screened. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Airport Rules/Almost had a free gun!

Airport Rules/Almost had a free gun!

Odd occurrence while flying out of Atlanta. I declare my pistol and take it over to the TSA guy for my bag to be screened. There is a guy in front of me in line on his knees digging through his bag, and he politely tells me I can go around him. I give the pistol case to the TSA guy who puts it on the counter and then continues to check another bag. The guy behind me then stands up and says "hey, I am out of locks and cannot ship this gun, you want it? I hate to throw it away" (He was a custom knifemaker with multipe guns and cases and apparently hadn't done the math on how many cases he would need) He hands me a small soft-side case and inside it is a sweet little over/under derringer. I didn't confirm the make as I didn't want to attract attention, but it looked like a Davis or something similar in 45 ACP (could have been .357, definitely that size or bigger) I had to make a split second decison here, but as he was declaring other weapons, I figured he was a good citizen, and I of course wanted that gun. I said "sure", whereupon the TSA guy said "no, you can't do that, go tell your airline the situation." The guy said "Can't I just give it to him, what do you care?" The guy said "no, go tell the airline." (I must say that this TSA guy just oozed irritation with his job. He was stoic, never smiled, and was basically an unpleasant guy the entire time I interacted with him) I looked at the knifemaker and said "hey, I'm sorry bud, but you know how it is, don't screw with the government, they'll just squash you." He took his gun back and walked away towards his airline.

I have no idea what the legality of that exchange would have been, but I thought it was an odd occurrence I would share with the group. Would have loved to score that free gun though....
    Last edited by Cartman; June 16th, 2011 at 04:38 PM.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That stinks. As a former platinum flier, I've really come to despise most TSA agents, and I question his ability to stop the transaction.

It's now been 5 years since I've flown, and I'm really out of the groove. I was at our little crop-duster airport to pick up my wife and son this week, and it occurred to me as I hopped out of the truck to walk in, that my LCP was in my pocket . I ducked back into the truck and locked it up, but I nearly messed up in a bad way.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I was at our little crop-duster airport to pick up my wife and son this week, and it occurred to me as I hopped out of the truck to walk in, that my LCP was in my pocket . I ducked back into the truck and locked it up, but I nearly messed up in a bad way.
    I don't think it would have mattered. In OK at least you can carry into the airport, just not into the secured areas.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

damn, what are the chances of getting a free gun at the airport lol...too bad the TSA guy didn't let you take it

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I don't think it would have mattered. In OK at least you can carry into the airport, just not into the secured areas.
    Yah, you're probably right, but I still try to stay out of the evening news.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    just for the point of clarity, in some place you may be able to carry into an airport terminal but in many places, like FLA you cannot as always be aware of the local laws when traveling

Knowing my luck it woulda been a hand grenade,I'm pretty sure I would have declined
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    He had no authority to tell you that you could not take it. Private transactions are still legal. You could have taken it and simply declared it and took it with you.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

TSA agents are not cops and do not know the law, otherwise they wouldn't violate your 4th amendment rights every time you get on a plane. Just sayin......
    ExactlyMyPoint and Anubis like this.
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

That's too bad you couldn't take him up on the offer.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

TSA agents have nothing to say about it if somone wants to give a gun to someone else. I'm sure, he was defensive in that the guy didn't know you .... but hey, if you were checking in a gun then obviously you are probably legal to own it or taking some big chances. LOL. You know , the don't let someone you don't know hand you something at the airport scenario drilled into TSA agents.

But, you both may have needed to be residents of that state to do it. Know the laws of your state.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Do you know who the knifemaker was? Or his company name? Just curious.

His name wasn't Danny was it? Sounds like a guy I know. Sounds like something he might do too. He's not too far from Atlanta.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Administrator
    I dont think it was a gun thing, but a accepting a package from a stranger then flying thing. But I might be just crazy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    But, you both may have needed to be residents of that state to do it. Know the laws of your state.
    Exactly. The OP is from Fort Lauderdale [Florida, I'm assuming.] The "transaction" was set to take place in Atlanta [Georgia, I'm assuming]. This would have required an FFL [in FL] to be legal, even if Momo the TSA agent didn't know that.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links