Cc in Ohio, calling ahead for permission to carry in a Church. Is verbal enough?

This is a discussion on Cc in Ohio, calling ahead for permission to carry in a Church. Is verbal enough? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'll be driving across the state to a wedding with my family in a few weeks, and my wife asked me rather pointedly if ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ccman

Thread: Cc in Ohio, calling ahead for permission to carry in a Church. Is verbal enough?

Cc in Ohio, calling ahead for permission to carry in a Church. Is verbal enough?

So I'll be driving across the state to a wedding with my family in a few weeks, and my wife asked me rather pointedly if I was comfortable leaving my gun in the car for 4+ hours while we were in the church for wedding and reception. I admitted that I was not a fan of the idea, and got to thinking about it. Today I decided it was better to call ahead and ask for permission of the church leadership than to just put it in the glovebox and hope for the best.

It was a pretty unremarkable conversation (he was nice, didn't seem alarmed by the idea) but the pastor said he'd never had any requests for cc permission so far! I told him that I was driving fairly far, that I'm a permit holder, and I would prefer to keep my weapon on my person rather than leave a loaded gun in a car for hours and hours. He seemed to grasp why that would be safer, and said he would be glad to look into the subject a bit and call me back.

So my big question, and maybe I've missed the answer in my googling efforts, is this; if he calls me back and gives me the green light, is that good enough? Or should I ask him to send me an email, or even mail me a letter? I surely would rather not presume on his good nature, so to speak, by asking him to jump through hoops if it's uncalled for. Do any of you have some past experience or legal references that could help with this?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Verbal is fine.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

If you are carrying CONCEALED then why would you need to ask? If I don't see a sign saying no guns (and not a single church I have ever been to has one)then my permit is all the permission I need.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    If you are carrying CONCEALED then why would you need to ask? If I don't see a sign saying no guns (and not a single church I have ever been to has one)then my permit is all the permission I need.
    Because its the law in OH.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    So I'll be driving across the state to a wedding with my family in a few weeks, and my wife asked me rather pointedly if I was comfortable leaving my gun in the car for 4+ hours while we were in the church for wedding and reception. I admitted that I was not a fan of the idea, and got to thinking about it. Today I decided it was better to call ahead and ask for permission of the church leadership than to just put it in the glovebox and hope for the best.

It was a pretty unremarkable conversation (he was nice, didn't seem alarmed by the idea) but the pastor said he'd never had any requests for cc permission so far! I told him that I was driving fairly far, that I'm a permit holder, and I would prefer to keep my weapon on my person rather than leave a loaded gun in a car for hours and hours. He seemed to grasp why that would be safer, and said he would be glad to look into the subject a bit and call me back.

So my big question, and maybe I've missed the answer in my googling efforts, is this; if he calls me back and gives me the green light, is that good enough? Or should I ask him to send me an email, or even mail me a letter? I surely would rather not presume on his good nature, so to speak, by asking him to jump through hoops if it's uncalled for. Do any of you have some past experience or legal references that could help with this?

Thanks!
    Technically, oral is fine. But consider this. The pastor says yes, then you are outed and he does not back you up. Maybe he fears his job or other repercussions. Now it's your word agains his. Admittedly, any pastor worth his salt would not recant and leave you in the lurch, but not all are worth their salt. I would get the e-mail.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Technically, oral is fine. But consider this. The pastor says yes, then you are outed and he does not back you up. Maybe he fears his job or other repercussions. Now it's your word agains his. Admittedly, any pastor worth his salt would not recant and leave you in the lurch, but not all are worth their salt. I would get the e-mail.
    This is exactly the scenario that had me a bit worried by the prospect of just accepting verbal as good enough. I think if he leaves me a voicemail response that I can save for a while, I'll be happy with that, but I'll request an email otherwise.

VIP Member
    If he gives You a verbal, e-mail Him thanking Him and throw in another question about the wedding or area so he replies to the e-mail. That way he got it and replied. Let us know how You make out.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    If he talks to an attorney I will bet he will call back and say NO! Once he says yes he is accepting responsibility for you and your firearm. Not saying anything will happen but it opens up the Church to liability. Attorneys don't like to do that and his Attorney will advise him to say no. His Attorney will tell him why take a chance on someone he has never met or even knows and open the Church to Liability. I believe it was written this way in Ohio law to give Pastors the ability to carry if they wanted or have security.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Because its the law in OH.
    You have to ask permission to conceal carry in Ohio even with a license? So every time you are carrying and walk into a store you stop at the managers desk and ask if you can come in because you are carrying?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    You have to ask permission to conceal carry in Ohio even with a license? So every time you are carrying and walk into a store you stop at the managers desk and ask if you can come in because you are carrying?
    Nope, only applies to a church (house of worship). Generally, you get a blanket written letter from your pastor and that covers you for all time. However, if you want to go to a different church, you gotta do the dance. Stores either post or don't and live with their decision.

I got a call back today, and he was apparently got his advise from a very poorly read attorney or other 3rd party. He claimed that they couldn't deny me the right to carry in his church, due to the recent bill that was signed in Ohio regarding carrying into bars and such (as far as I know, it had nothing to do with places of worship, fairly sure of that). He said they would prefer I not carry, but they couldn't enforce that preference.

I didn't try to inform him of what I believe the law says, or argue my case further; told him I'd be glad to honor his wishes on the subject, and got off the phone.

Ah well, it didn't hurt to ask.

If its concealed who will know? Just my .02

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    If its concealed who will know? Just my .02
    So, using that logic, do you carry in schools?

NOTE: This is just a question for thought. If you do so carry, do not reply in the affirmative and implicate yourself. In OH, legally you are in the same position in church as school if you don't get the church leadership's approval.

Links