Victim of Employer Descrimination of Gun Owners, What to Do?

This is a discussion on Victim of Employer Descrimination of Gun Owners, What to Do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SIGguy229 - Just FYI. That would be because she had a problem & joined DefensiveCarry & then obviously did a forum search related to her ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Victim of Employer Descrimination of Gun Owners, What to Do?

Administrator
    SIGguy229 - Just FYI.

That would be because she had a problem & joined DefensiveCarry & then obviously did a forum search related to her specific problem.

Her search pulled up an older, defunct, thread & she had originally posted in there.

I sent her a private message and asked her to open up a new discussion thread all her own.

It would be quite normal for a person who finds themselves thrust into a dire and life changing firearm related situation to join a firearm related forum with the hope of getting answers, suggestions, or possible solutions to their problem.

Hopefully she will get some useful help here.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Anyone else think it's weird that we have two threads with this kind of scenario within the last 24 hours....eerily similiar in facts from brand new members w/ a low post count?

To the OP: highly recommend you consult an attorney.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    its human nature when there is a questionable moment--event, that we want to smooth it over; minimize it and hope it goes away. make nice. people who are basically good have difficulty accepting that the 'event' was intentionally malicious. they want to believe that it was a confluence of seemingly innocent items that came together to appear 'bad'; and that an excuse--though lame and left handed is sufficient for them to accept that it was indeed a innocent , though bad, event.
    it takes multiple events for them to realize there is skulduggery afoot and by than it is already too late to make exact accusations cause time has passed and the players have shifted allegiances.
    its hard to go back to the beginning yet that is what will work.
    a legal team is required to scare the players straight. cause in the beginning they will hang together and it is these new lies that will drag the team down. there is a time and place for those we seem to loath. it is for her, now.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Fair enough....just thought it looked suspicious....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Lawyer up...its the only way you will get any possible resolution.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

You should consult an attorney. If you do your research and contact some pro 2nd amendment organizations you might find an attorney that will pick it up pro bono because that is their fight/cause/passion.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

* Complaint filed to the State Labor Board on the whole friggin thing.
    * Complaint filed to EEO (Equal Employment Opport) .... include failure to advise of you of policies and time periods to file grievances...a NO NO with the EEO.
    * Hit them with a request per the Freedom of Information Act for the copies of the appraisals, as well as copies of any termination papers, investigations or reports with your name on it... essentially, your HR file. They have to give it to you.... under the Freedom of Information Act (I believe it's 30 days).

They will act like they don't have to do it... demand it. They can't deny it. Google it for more info.

* I'ld hit them with a slander and defamation lawsuit, including specificially the Supervisor, the person who complained, her friend who works there, and the Supervisor's boss for failing to take appropriate action, and the hospital. You were "damaged", which is what any attorney wants to know, if they in anyway ... or anyone... communicated this to other people, employees and / or employers ...... which impacted your being hired by them, plus your loss of wages, etc. and so on.

I'm sure there are more, but that's where I would start.

I would also record all conversations without them knowing it ..... which can prove helpful later. If "one" person (YOU) agree to the conversation being recorded, it can be recorded, and in civil suits those recordings can be used (here at least). Hint hint (voice activated with a cord up to a 'button' or 'very small clip' mic, both work really well.

Attorney, attorney , attorney ! ! ! ! !
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Your situation isn't really about you being a gun owner, having a CCP, or carrying a firearm. That may be the #1 reason they canned you, but they have documented it as you doing something wrong (administering a drug). The hospital's administration has fired you for that reason and it's going to be impossible for you to use the supervisor's actions to get your job back or use the false complaint as a defense to correct this issue because admin. is just going to deny that it was the issue.

You should have gone to see an attorney the day you were fired. Was the hospital's policy to not allow concealed carry? If so they have every right to release you from employment if you carried on their property. I don't think it's right to post property and keep honest people from carrying a licensed firearm, but it isn't my say, it's the hospital's choice and if you violated policy they can and will terminate your service.

I think they covered their bases pretty well and don't see how you will have any recourse against them unless you can prove that you didn't violate policy when you administered the sedative. That is the key, you need to document the issue they fired you for and drop everything else because the firearm and threat doesn't even apply to the action the company took.

Venting on a firearms forum may help to get it off your chest, but I would seek counsel with an attorney instead of asking for advice on the internet.
    I am sorry this happened and hope it works out.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Gather all your documentation and consult an attorney who specializes in employment law. Gather references and possibly statements from anyone who can hep your cause. if your attorney tells you it's OK to do so.

If the health care system there is anything like it is here, you should have no problem getting a job at a nursing home or possibly a Doctor's office. Perhaps a traveling nurse position. It's not ICU work but it pays the bills.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

matthew03 - It started out as a firearm related incident (pulled off duty) and once they figured out that they [management] screwed up, then it went medical related.

She has not responded to this thread, but the way I read the story, it started out that her and another co-worker owned a gun during a discussion with the local Brady Bunch BOD at the hospital. The fact that she has a CCL is moot, the discussion sounded like it was merely gun ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by stl2nola72 View Post
    I am new here. I am a female in Louisiana with my CCL. I have an issue that happened to me at work and I'd love an opinion. I am a Registered Nurse working in downtown New Orleans. I was terminated from my job for retaliation over an issue involving a firearm. I found that some of the people in my unit were opposed to guns. Some of them made comments at lunch about how they think that people shouldn't be allowed to have guns. It came up that I had one and so did another guy. People were asking me questions and I politely tried to divert them. I had some words with a supervisor one day because they took our cell phones away on the job. My doctor was trying to call me about my lab results and I asked to keep the phone and she said no. I told her that I felt it was unfair but I put it in my locker.

A week later I was in a procedure with a patient and I was called out to go to the supervisor's office immediately. She got me in there and closed the door and told me that someone told her that I said that I was going to bring a gun to work and shoot everyone. Anyone who knows me and my gun safety and responsibility knows that is something I would never do or say in a million years. I was so shocked and stunned that I started crying and of course said that it was false, and that I would never do that. She told me to stop crying and that she was going to "investigate" to find out who made the accusation.

There were no witnesses to this discussion and it happened late on a Friday afternoon. I went home and was freaked out all day on Saturday because I was afraid the police would be showing up at my door. The crazy thing is that I am actually trying to become a police officer next year. I called a friend who is the police commander of my district and told her what happened. She suggested that I lock my guns up at her home until it was settled. She also told me to go to the hospital police and make a complaint. I did that first thing on Monday morning. The hospital police told me that they knew NOTHING about this accusation. All of this happened 20 days after that psycho in AZ shot up all those people. The hospital police found it totally inappropriate that they were not notified by someone in my department regarding this. The idea of a possible workplace violence threat is serious-even if it is totally false. It should have been reported to them and they should have been present when she accused me.

I went to her boss and complained and she did nothing. The woman's idea of an "investigation" was to spread the accusation among all the staff so that my coworkers were all acting afraid of me and no one would speak to me-hostile work environment. The hospital police suggested that I complain to HR for a hostile work environment and that's what I did. The HR lady was nasty on the phone and told me that "guns have nothing to do with this". All the supervisors and the head nurse refused to address my concerns about what amounts to defamation of character, over this false accusation. I told them that I was prepared to obtain representation to clear my name. At that point I was told that the issue would be dropped because the accusation was heresay and that it was never to be discussed again.

They neglected to tell me that I had 7 days to file a grievance over the accusation. The head nurse told me that "we won't be offended if you feel you need to go find another place to work". I already had job apps out for a month prior to this occurence due to unsafe practices in our dept. I filled out more job apps but wasn't getting responses. Two weeks later I was in a procedure with a patient and another RN who was best friends with woman who made the gun accusation. This patient was on a respirator and was acting wild and the MD told me to sedate him better so he could do the procedure. I followed his order and we finished the procedure w/o incident. The next day I am called into the VP's office and told that I was to leave because I was under investigation. This other nurse in the room told her that I gave a sedation drug illegally beyond my scope of practice, which again, was COMPLETELY untrue. ...
    If the first three paragraphs are accurate, true, and the OP can get proof, I'd bet a lawyer will start drooling over it.

Management and their favorite pets/social clique flagged her as a Leper and treated her as such.

I too suffered a career ending injury with the State. Within a week of a management re-structure in my department, I was terminated from a job (that I really didn't like anyhow), and their reason for termination changed 4 times in all of a minuet and a half. Every time I challenged one of their "Reasons" they had nothing to back it up or knew that it would bite them. Finally landed on an incident that was 3 months old but still qualified since I was still in my first year (4 days shy). Probably could have fought it, but was able to land another job in a week.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBoun View Post
    I'm truly sorry for your troubles. But one thing that I firmly believe is that if you are going to carry concealed.....be quiet about it.
    Apparently you told somebody or didn't carry discretely enough. If it was against company policy you started the ball rolling by defying company policy. Was there a no-gun policy in place?
    Someone else here also assumed she was carrying at work.

Could they please point out where she said that?

I reread it twice and see nowhere that she said she carried at work.

Gotta watch our assumptions.

I have yet to see a Medical facility that openly allowed guns and I'm betting this one didn't either and that she didn't carry there.

Would appreciate a mention of what medical facility allows guns inside? I suppose it could happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I would also record all conversations without them knowing it ..... which can prove helpful later. If "one" person (YOU) agree to the conversation being recorded, it can be recorded, and in civil suits those recordings can be used (here at least). Hint hint (voice activated with a cord up to a 'button' or 'very small clip' mic, both work really well.
    I would check your state laws. The ability to record conversations with only one side being aware is regulated at the state level.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Thanks ya'll. I do have an attorney representing me on the case. The appeal hearing is on Tuesday morning and it's a telephone hearing. The thing that sucks about it is that everything relating to the firearm is being thrown out due to it being hearsay. The supervisor that made the accusations did it without any witnesses in a closed office alone. She made a point of telling me to close the door because people were walking around the area. I did not tell anyone that I had a CCL. They were aware that I own a firearm and that's all and no, the firearm never went into the building. It only came with me in the truck when I was called out in the middle of the night for emergencies.

I ended up finding out after I was terminated that the police officer never made an official report, and he didn't tell me that. When I told him that I needed to make a complaint, he was writing things down when I was talking, so I assumed he was making a report. He told me later that one wasn't made. I started to wonder if he was told to say that. I spoke with two different additional attorneys in town and they both said that a case would not be won over the firearm issue due to it being hearsay with no witnesses. They were really slick in that respect.

The entire appeal hearing on Tuesday morning is only based on the case involving the patient and the medication. The Louisiana State Nursing board protocol/policy says that I did nothing wrong. The hospital looks almost identical to the state board one. I received the information that the hospital submitted today and there were several untruths in it regarding things that I allegedly said and their documentation definitely conflicts with mine regarding what actually occured in the case. They basically made themselves out to smell like a rose and made me out to look arrogant and paranoid-two things that aren't at all part of my character.

That's why there is a Freedom of Info Act, which I'm sure your attorney should be quite aware of.... to challenge "doctored" or manufactured paperwork, etc. on individuals.

Stick to your guns.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Please everyone understand that I was NOT CARRYING at work. That is against the law in Louisiana and my CCL would be yanked for that. The state allows a firearm to be kept in the vehicle, as it is considered an extension of the home. The discussion on the job was related to firearm ownership-not CCL. Several people in that discussion decided to make comments saying that they did not think that people should be allowed to have guns. At that point, I zipped my lips and diverted the conversation off of firearms and onto something else. As a previous poster said, it started out over ownership and then went medical related because I made an HR complaint and a police complaint for workplace hostility, regarding the incident. I didn't come here to obtain advice from the internet. I already had representation and I was just curious to know if anyone else had issues like this, or if I was the only one. I'm beginning to feel a little sorry I came to this forum. Thanks for your responses.

Good luck to you.

Stick around, there is much to learn here on matters of CC, OC, Defense, tactics, methods of carry...
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links