Victim of Employer Descrimination of Gun Owners, What to Do?

This is a discussion on Victim of Employer Descrimination of Gun Owners, What to Do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Orignially posted by Claude Clay: its human nature when there is a questionable moment--event, that we want to smooth it over; minimize it and hope ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Victim of Employer Descrimination of Gun Owners, What to Do?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Orignially posted by Claude Clay:
    its human nature when there is a questionable moment--event, that we want to smooth it over; minimize it and hope it goes away. make nice. people who are basically good have difficulty accepting that the 'event' was intentionally malicious. they want to believe that it was a confluence of seemingly innocent items that came together to appear 'bad'; and that an excuse--though lame and left handed is sufficient for them to accept that it was indeed a innocent , though bad, event.
    it takes multiple events for them to realize there is skulduggery afoot and by than it is already too late to make exact accusations cause time has passed and the players have shifted allegiances.
    its hard to go back to the beginning yet that is what will work.
    a legal team is required to scare the players straight. cause in the beginning they will hang together and it is these new lies that will drag the team down. there is a time and place for those we seem to loath. it is for her, now.
    Claude: this is VERY WELL spoken. When a series of things "happen" at work, at church, etc, most of us normal folks want to believe the best about other folks, so we don't listen to that quiet little voice in the back of our heads that says: "there's something wrong here." Then, like the OP discovered, the "boom" is finally lowered and you get hammered. Hindsight is 20/20 isn't it. There's an old Army saying: "once is happenstance; twice is coincidence; the third time is the result of enemy action."

To the OP--stick to your guns (pun intended) and let your attorney earn his $$--there is not much worse than an organization that is twisted and crooked--doesn't matter if its a church, a hospital, a police department or the senate..........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Thanks very much. I am a little apprehensive about my attorney as she is female and is only a recent law school graduate within the last couple of years. I hope she has my best interest in mind. I am going over my statement today and all the firearm related issues have been thrown out, so it is strictly medical in nature. I'm just hoping that I am able to give some kind of statement regarding how this has affected my livelihood because it has made me unemployable. I have been rejected at every medical system in the city, some of those I even worked in before and had a good record in those places. I have been working in some form since I was 14 years old and never had a write up for any violations/misconduct until the issued in which I was terminated. I have been considered for some really great jobs until they check my references and then they drop me. Two of the those jobs were Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland and the hospital on Camp Lejeune. It would have been such an honor to take care of our military members and I was denied. I was also denied by another organization for veteran's. I was denied for a major health system in Missouri that wanted me to be neurotrauma preceptor to teach new RNs out of school to be trauma nurses. All of these places were very interested in me until they checked my references.

Hang tough in there. I wish you well. I have been there. It sucks.
    Semper Fi

Good luck with that. You're fighting the good fight. You were falsely accused, (stereotypically, at that) of planning a terrible event. That's exactly what the anti-gun community wants the public to think. We, as law-abiding and good-intentioned citizens don't deserve that label...I'm from Houma...Typically, the consensus on guns is different here. But I'm quite familiar with the NOLA constituents...God Bless.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Nobody at work knows what color underwear I wear, no one will ever know that I carry.

I'm very sorry for your trouble!!! You're in damage control mode now. No way to recover completely. Your goal should be to get your feet back under you and focus on moving forward. to do so may require planning and doing on a number of fronts.

1. Call all creditors and explain the situation and ask for relief. ALL of them. document your calls (names, dates, times, what was agreed to. Ask for lower interest rates, ask if you can pay a new minimum of $20 or whatever. Do this now.

2. Check with the State to see if they have an employment relations board or office. Check with the Federal Government to see if there's an agency you can talk to.

3. With the short supply of nurses out there, I have to belive that if your're willing to relocate (including out of state) you can probably get a job in another hospital. Problem is, moving seems impossible when you're in the financial situation you are.

4. Consider if there's family you could move back in with on a temporary basis. Tell them for how long and stick to it. do chores and agree to pay something to help with costs.

5. Consider selling the truck if it's worth more than you owe or trade it in on a lesser vehicle to reduce your monthly cost.

Stay cool, focused, and realize there's worse situations and that you can recover from this. Don't let the stress cause you to make poor choices that could make the situation worse. Write down your plan.

Eat right, sleep right and excercise. Force yourself into a routine.

Do you have a friend or someone to talk to? I hope you do. talk to someone and keep talking to someone as you work through this and finally...

call a lawyer but realize it's hard to find one that'll take a case like this without requiring money from you upfront. Lawyers who agree to take cases without pay until you get paid only do so because they believe it's a slam dunk. You're case sounds like a totally up hill battle but I'm not a lawyer.

Best of luck!!
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    You may want to have your lawyer check up on what the hospital's administration is telling the companies you are applying to, in my state it's illegal for a former employer to give a negative reference about an employee. All they can state is hire date, date you left, and amount of compensation you made. Anything personal or negative that would effect your employment somewhere else is illegal and the employment commission could fine them and you could seek charges against the hospital for damages.

If in fact your former employer is slandering you to prospective companies you may be able to add that to your case.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    You may want to have your lawyer check up on what the hospital's administration is telling the companies you are applying to, in my state it's illegal for a former employer to give a negative reference about an employee. All they can state is hire date, date you left, and amount of compensation you made. Anything personal or negative that would effect your employment somewhere else is illegal and the employment commission could fine them and you could seek charges against the hospital for damages.

If in fact your former employer is slandering you to prospective companies you may be able to add that to your case.
    Absolutely true here, that's a case for a lawsuit all in itself here.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Move on and find another job. Don't waste time trying to sue and stuff. Lifes to short. Get another job to support you and your family if you have one and take this as a lesson learned.

All I want to do is move on and away from them. Hopefully tomorrow will be the last day I ever have to deal with anyone from that place ever again! I have another job interview tomorrow afternoon with someone who is interested in my skills. I will be saying my prayers for sure.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I don't know what to tell you, other than you should have gotten a lawyer the day you were fired. If I were you, I would still be looking for ways to obtain representation. That is a sad story, and I hope someone here can give you some solid advice.
    Why? I believe that Louisiana is a right to work state. They have the right to fire you at will. I don't see the problem. Best not to speak on sensitive topics at work as you never know who is listening.

And the fact that you are safe and responsible with a fire arm is irrelevant to the discussion at hand along with you wanting to enter law enforcement. Neither is relevant as you were accused of making a threat. As far as getting a lawyer, go ahead and do it. The fact is that you should have had a copy of the these policies and were most likely given them at the time of hire. And the company does not have to give you copies of internal documents like evaluations if they don't want to, and it would not be a good idea to give a supervisor evaluation to someone who is accused of making violent threats. As far as blackballing an employee at other hospitals is hard to believe as they cannot ask specific questions about employees. They can ask if you are eligible for rehire.

Either way get a lawyer but I doubt it will help. I am sorry to be harsh but those are the facts as I see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Why? I believe that Louisiana is a right to work state. They have the right to fire you at will. I don't see the problem. Best not to speak on sensitive topics at work as you never know who is listening.

And the fact that you are safe and responsible with a fire arm is irrelevant to the discussion at hand along with you wanting to enter law enforcement. Neither is relevant as you were accused of making a threat. As far as getting a lawyer, go ahead and do it. The fact is that you should have had a copy of the these policies and were most likely given them at the time of hire. And the company does not have to give you copies of internal documents like evaluations if they don't want to, and it would not be a good idea to give a supervisor evaluation to someone who is accused of making violent threats. As far as blackballing an employee at other hospitals is hard to believe as they cannot ask specific questions about employees. They can ask if you are eligible for rehire.

Either way get a lawyer but I doubt it will help. I am sorry to be harsh but those are the facts as I see them.
    The stuff you mentioned is exactly why the OP needs a lawyer. You don't know the laws. I don't know the laws. The OP doesn't know the laws. You know who does? A lawyer. A lawyer can tell you what your real world options are, and how to act on them. Are you a lawyer Toorop? If not, you are just basing everything you stated on speculation. It would require an expert in the field of law who has dealt with prior legal situations involving work related problems to genuinely assess what options are available here.

Quote Originally Posted by stl2nola72 View Post
    Thanks very much. I am a little apprehensive about my attorney as she is female and is only a recent law school graduate within the last couple of years.
    As the father of a female attorney, I would suggest your main concern shouldn't be the lawyer's sex. My kiddo is a pit bull who has slapped down many male counterparts. However, inexperience could be a real stumbling block. Seek out someone who has done this before - male or female.

Would you pay money for an amateur surgeon?
    Last edited by MadMac; June 21st, 2011 at 11:07 AM.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by stl2nola72 View Post
    All I want to do is move on and away from them. Hopefully tomorrow will be the last day I ever have to deal with anyone from that place ever again! I have another job interview tomorrow afternoon with someone who is interested in my skills. I will be saying my prayers for sure.
    Good luck. I hope everything goes well for you, and you end up getting a better job than the one you had.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    As the father of a female attorney, I would suggest your main concern shouldn't be the lawyer's sex. My kiddo is a pit bull who has slapped down many male counterparts. However, inexperience could be a real stumbling block. Seek out someone who has done this before - male or female.

Would you pay money for an amateur surgeon?
    Most female attorney's I've seen are pitbulls. Some of them are downright vicious. LOL.
    The one's I've seen and worked with, well.... are very very "competitive" and they want to win.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links