Fox News: Conceal Carry & Bars Ohio

This is a discussion on Fox News: Conceal Carry & Bars Ohio within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I believe and hope the CC individual has the discipline to mix Alcohol and CC without extreme actions. If you plan on getting one on... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Fox News: Conceal Carry & Bars Ohio

I believe and hope the CC individual has the discipline to mix Alcohol and CC without extreme actions. If you plan on getting one on... then leave your weapon home.

Looks like the Ohio Bill is Advancing

As I posted in a previous thread on this same subject, Virginia has had the same law for over a year, with few problems...

And...these bars are already serving people with concealed weapons...they are just criminals, who drink and carry and don't care what the law says...while CC individuals (nearly to a person) are law abiding people...

Since the law came into effect here in Virginia, and can go to places that serve food and alcohol and enjoy fellowship with family and friends...and not worry about disarming before entering...

And if I intend to drink...I plan accordingly and don't carry...BUT ITS MY CHOICE, not the governments.....
    bigdog44 and Eagleks like this.
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Vermont has allowed carry in bars for 103 years with no problem. PA has allowed concealed carry in bars since it became shall issue, no problem. Lots of other states do as well and it's no problem there either. So, Ohio is finally coming late to a party that started 103 years ago and continues today with out any of the occurrances the handwringers worry about.

The statics show conclusively allowing CCW in establishments that serve alcohol is a total non-problem. Period. We CCW folks should be proud of that.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post

And if I intend to drink...I plan accordingly and don't carry...BUT ITS MY CHOICE, not the governments.....
    I agree. I have my CCL and understand that while I am carrying, NO Alcohol..........If I intend on having a drink, I leave my weapon at home. Otherwise on this note, I agree that criminals are already carrying concealed in the bars & drinking. So, the individual with a CCL that is now going to be permitted to carry I don't believe will increase shootings in bars (places serving alcohol) or other wise. I see nothing wrong with carrying concealed everywhere I go. It is my 2nd ammendment right. And I as a responsible law abiding citizen that has a CCL and understand the laws, should be able to do so.
    When seconds count........the police are only minutes away!!!

I don't know how it is in other states, but in Tennessee it is unlawful to be in possession of a firearm while under the influence of alcohol. This law applies whether a person has a carry permit or not. So, even though you can legally carry in an establishment that serves alcohol, the first law still applies. The new law does however allow you to enjoy a meal in a restaurant that serves alcohol without having to leave your guns at home or in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Vermont has allowed carry in bars for 103 years with no problem. PA has allowed concealed carry in bars since it became shall issue, no problem. Lots of other states do as well and it's no problem there either. So, Ohio is finally coming late to a party that started 103 years ago and continues today with out any of the occurrances the handwringers worry about.
    Add Connecticut to the list - a state where 10% of the adult population has pistol permits. A non-problem, to be sure.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gunsite View Post
    I believe and hope the CC individual has the discipline to mix Alcohol and CC without extreme actions. If you plan on getting one on... then leave your weapon home.

Looks like the Ohio Bill is Advancing
    Why are you perpetuating the myths of the anti gun left ?

There is NOTHING in the proposed Ohio law that advocates or legalizes mixing alcohol and guns.

The proposed law would allow a licensed CCW person to carry in an establishment with a liquer licences if the following conditions are met:

The establishment must make the majority of its revenue from the sale of food. (therefore we are talking about a restaurant, not a bar)

You cannot be drinking in the restaurant, and you cannot be under the influence at the time.

So, in summary, if you would like to go to a Fridays, or Applebees to have a meal you can carry so long as you have not been drinking, and you don't order a drink. That is a long way from the media's portrayal of drunken bar fights.

We all have the responsibility to provide accurate facts about CCW, leave the lies to the left.
    CowGirlUp36 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
    Why are you perpetuating the myths of the anti gun left ?

There is NOTHING in the proposed Ohio law that advocates or legalizes mixing alcohol and guns.

The proposed law would allow a licensed CCW person to carry in an establishment with a liquer licences if the following conditions are met:

The establishment must make the majority of its revenue from the sale of food. (therefore we are talking about a restaurant, not a bar)

You cannot be drinking in the restaurant, and you cannot be under the influence at the time.

So, in summary, if you would like to go to a Fridays, or Applebees to have a meal you can carry so long as you have not been drinking, and you don't order a drink. That is a long way from the media's portrayal of drunken bar fights.

We all have the responsibility to provide accurate facts about CCW, leave the lies to the left.
    Slight correction to what you said above. While you are correct that the law does not advocate or legalize mixing alcohol and guns--in fact you cannot drink BEFORE you enter a bar NOR WHILE in the bar while carrying--you are incorrect in your statement that the establishment must make the majority of its revenue from the sale of food. The quirk in Ohio liquor law is that it does not distinguish between a bar and a restaurant that also serves alcohol. A D6 license applies equally to both. So, Yes, once the governor signs the bill and after 90 days have passed and it takes effect, you CAN carry in a bar as well as a restaurant. But you cannot drink nor can you have drunk any alcohol, including beer, while carrying.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I was disappointed with Fox news when they did their clip. They showed scenes from a gun store and a firing ranng. Neither of which is related to the subject. They should have shown a nice restaurant scene. Here in CO we have no problems carrying where alcohol is served. I think carrying in a bar or restaurant that serves is a non issue. Also my opinion having a drink with dinner is no worse than driving home after having a drink with dinner.
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    If the law passes Ohio will learn the same thing other states that allow carry where alcohol is served have learned. It doesn't increase violence, and it doesn't cause shoot outs. Of course everywhere this comes up it is always the same negative press. Funny how none of the nay sayers will do an article 1 or 2 years after the law has gone into effect saying they were wrong.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The great thing is the Governor was on 55-KRC radio with Brian Thomas on Friday and was asked if he would sign the bill. His answer was he did not feel there was a problem with this bill. The concern is not law abiding citizens. He stated, "yes, I will sign the bill."

Good news in Ohio for us responsible folks. About damn time! Hope he signs it ASAP. The other part of the bill is it clears up many inconsistencies around how you can carry in a car as well. Good stuff.
    atctimmy likes this.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Slight correction to what you said above. While you are correct that the law does not advocate or legalize mixing alcohol and guns--in fact you cannot drink BEFORE you enter a bar NOR WHILE in the bar while carrying--you are incorrect in your statement that the establishment must make the majority of its revenue from the sale of food. The quirk in Ohio liquor law is that it does not distinguish between a bar and a restaurant that also serves alcohol. A D6 license applies equally to both. So, Yes, once the governor signs the bill and after 90 days have passed and it takes effect, you CAN carry in a bar as well as a restaurant. But you cannot drink nor can you have drunk any alcohol, including beer, while carrying.
    Well, I looked it up, and I stand corrected. My apologies for being wrong !!

I hope this passes in Ohio soon. I will avoid having a beer or a glass of wine responsibly while I visit my son and we are out to dinner. I disagree with the law as written but it sure is a lot better than it is now. Back here in NY there is nothing that prevents me from having a drink while carrying in a bar or restaurant. I know that when I carry one or two drinks is my limit. I have to be responsible while carrying, just like with driving.

If we are trusted to carry a weapon, then why wouldn't we be smart enough to know when to stop drinking? As has been mentioned previously the thugs have their beer and weapons. All laws assume we can't think for ourselves. Well, unfortunately they are partially right, however its not generally the law abiding citizen that can't think for his or herself. There is a lot of responsibility in carring a weapon. If I am able to responsibly carry a weapon and not shoot the dumb ******* that cut me off and gave me the bird. I believe I will walk away from the dumb drunks at the bar as well.

Gentlemen! And of course ladies, if you are present!

I am new to the forums, as you can see. I have been doing my best to follow this legislation as closely as I can, as I carry whenever I am gonna be off base for an extended peroid. However, information as to Ohio eludes me down here in Va, despite Google. from what I have gathered here, there is nothing official on the law yet, which is good enough considering I don't know the next time I will see Ohio. There were a few comments I wanted to make after reading through tho!

@DaveJay- I was speaking recently to a buddy of mine who claimed that nearly all Bars in Va make well over 50% of their profits from food sales. I do not carry in Va, as (to put it simply) my job and living arrangements made possession of a personal firearm a MASSIVE inconvenience, until about a week ago. do you have resources where I can find if the Law here dictates "bar" vs. "establishment with a liquor license"? not that I wouldn't take your word, but as always- better safe than sorry!

as for drinking with a weapon, I gotta say.. hell no, regardless if its legal. I watched a sober Marine damn near blow his foot off just a few weeks ago while simply racking an M16. Even a tiny bit of alcohol might have been the difference between the tip of his boot and his foot. Lucky him, he was aware of what he was doing. I've seen too many near-misses to add another "oops" to the equation!

Thats not to say I think people shouldn't be in a bar with a Condition One weapon. The truth of it is that in the end, the problem isn't us legal folk. If someone is gonna do something stupid, I think the least of their worries is "Oh crap! I'm not allowed to have a gun here!" I'd rather have my wits, and my weapon, about me when i run into those idiots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links