Concealed carry on a bicycle?

This is a discussion on Concealed carry on a bicycle? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've decided that even though I'm speedier than the average pedestrian while on my bike, it's probably a good idea to carry when I'm riding ...

I've decided that even though I'm speedier than the average pedestrian while on my bike, it's probably a good idea to carry when I'm riding by myself or in a remote area. So, I got the smallest gun I own (Smith and Wesson 637) and tried to fit it in my tube bag.

Please ignore the mess, I'm in the process of moving stuff around...

Anyway, as you can see, even crammed in there as much as possible a little bit of the grip sticks up out of the bag. Alabama is technically an open carry state (and I have done it before), and of course I have a permit and I carry it around with me every time I ride.

Should I be concerned that it shows a little? Buying another, smaller gun isn't really an option right now, neither is carrying it on my person for a variety of reasons. I don't think that anyone would likely notice since I tend to move pretty quickly, but I'd like to see what you guys think.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I wouldnt think so. The way I look at it, you have your permit so it shouldn't matter. And also you will be going so fast that it would be hard for the average person to see it. Mabey a fanny pack if you don't mind looking like a senior citizen on vacation! Lol!

I think TN_Mike is CCing on his person while cycling based on his account about having to draw while being chased down by a dog not too long ago. May be worth it to dig up read his thread and see if he can offer some ideas for you.

The average person may not catch it at first glance, but if your object is concealing, a long wait at a red light, stop sign, train or pair up with another rider or be in a situation where you separate from the bike for a few minutes and you're very likely to be "made"

Try looking at a larger bag? I've seen some that are a triangle that go inside the frame, the draw may be useless I've no idea how hard it would be to access while pedaling, but it would be the right shape to hide the outline of a firearm.

Glock Certified Armorer

Sling and Pack

I think this is what my wife uses. If it's not it's pretty close. She added a couple straps on the inside to secure a generic polyester holster in an up right position. It comes off easy enough to step away from the bike and the most important part (for her) it matches her bike. Hers holds a S&W M&P compact
    Last edited by Cattus Vir; June 20th, 2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: added info

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Why not have a full zip front jersey and a 5.11 conceal carry shirt under it or just the conceal shirt alone. It's easy to access while riding, the only problem is sweat so be sure and clean your HG after a ride.

Off your body is always a problem. You get hit on purpose and go flying into a ditch, now your HG is in the middle of the road and can be grabbed by someone.

GM
    I could be wrong, but if Alabama is an open carry state and you have a permit I do not see why you should have any problems. When I ride my bicycle - or exercise - I wear a PT-ONE; it works very well:
    Pistol Wear - Holsters for Concealed Handguns
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Links