Arkansas/New Mexico Reciprocity???????

This is a discussion on Arkansas/New Mexico Reciprocity??????? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Arkansas is reporting that they have signed an agreement with New Mexico. Arkansas State Police | Regulatory Services New Mexico is not reporting this and ...

Thread: Arkansas/New Mexico Reciprocity???????

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Arkansas is reporting that they have signed an agreement with New Mexico.
    Arkansas State Police | Regulatory Services
    New Mexico is not reporting this and it is not one of the eighteen states they have listed on the New Mexico site as having informal recognition of.
    New Mexico DPS | CCW Info

New Mexico has a bad reputation when it comes to talking to other states. They have been stating on their website for the last 14+ months that they are "reevaluating" the states they honor and nothing has been added or subtracted. I have had 4 or 5 states tell me that New Mexico has not answered inquiries about reciprocity or honoring their permit/license and they can't even get a reply.

Now Arkansas is stating they have an agreement. I am hoping this is New Mexico coming of age and that they may finally be getting their act together. But until they post that they honor Arkansas I will not add that to Handgunlaw.us. Lets hope this is a sign of more good things to come out of NM and settle a lot of confusion about who they honor and don't.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

New Mexico has a new govenor, Susana Martinez, that belives in the second ammendment and is a CCW licensee herself. I think that reciprocity will be more forthcoming in her administration.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Yes, we have a new very pro-gun governor. Although the old one was very pro-gun too and supported all pro-gun legislation. I think the problem is inside the DPS bureaucracy. According to carryconcealed.net, NM does not honor AR, but AR does honor NM. On USACarry NM does not honor AR and AR does not honor NM.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

My understanding is that AR's policy is that we will honor any state that honors ours. So NM not honoring AR would normally mean that AR wouldn't honor NM. I wonder what the story is.

Senior Moderator
    Just got this email a few minutes ago.

Hello all, A quick note to bring all up to speed on gun club actions: 1.) Arkansas and New Mexico have finally entered into a reciprocity agreement for concealed handgun permits! Arkansas and New Mexico will now honor each other's permits. Make yourself aware of any differences of our laws before you travel there! Say thanks to the folks in the Arkansas State Police Concealed Carry Permit Department when you get the chance! So, if you count Arkansas and Vermont (where you don't actually NEED a permit), your carry permit is honored in 39 out of 50 states!
    Not bad!
    I just talked to Jeff Holt an hour or so ago.He got the offical notification today. He is the man responsible for getting the last several states on board to reconize our permit. Lt. Cora Gentry of the ASP has basically given him free rein to negotiate on her behalf with any other state that could/would offer reciprocity with Arkansas and Jeff has been pretty successful with it.

39 states out of 50 aint too bad, but the it will take a miracle to get some of the anti-freedom states on board.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

NM and AR have signed an agreement. Attached is a copy of the Reciprocity Agreement.
    Attached Files
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Senior Moderator
    What...?
    ya didnt beleive me?

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

HotGuns, I believed Arkansas but was not sure of New Mexico. They have done some weird things in the past. I wanted to see something official with their signature on it. What I can't understand is they have stated for the last 14 months they are trying to get agreements with the 18 states they honor on an informal agreement. Arkansas is not one of those 18 states listed. Some of those 18 states they have listed now will sign with anyone. Why haven't they signed with a few of them in 14 months but sign with a state they didn't even have on the list previously? Plus I have had other states tell me New Mexico wouldn't even reply to their inquiries about reciprocity. So I am skeptical of NM.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Links