CC and gun ranges

CC and gun ranges

This is a discussion on CC and gun ranges within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, here's an interesting one: a lot of ranges do not allow for drawing from a holster and shooting. OK, that makes sense. Then there ...

CC and gun ranges

OK, here's an interesting one: a lot of ranges do not allow for drawing from a holster and shooting. OK, that makes sense. Then there is the "variation" upon that: range where I shoot does not allow loaded guns between the doors and the actual shooting stations (or whatever you call those things). They don't allow holstered weapons either.
    So here's a dilemma: if a person carries, then they have to unholster and unload in the foyer of the range building. But that means that everyone who walks in at that particular moment will see how the weapon is carried (also I think that depending on states and rules it might be consider brandishing if someone wants to get really picky). Anyways, the solutions to that are to unholster and unload in the car, but the problem with that is that if anything, the walk between the car and the range door is the prime moment for a BG to go after you if he wants to obtain some extra guns. Then on the other hand one could carry loaded in the range bag, but that might prove to be impractical as the gun might be slightly hard to reach in case of emergency.

So anyone else had to deal with such a dilemma? What did you do?

Concealed means concealed. Unless you plan on practicing with your "legally concealed" carry gun and there isn't a legal reason you cannot have your concealed handgun on your person then there's no reason to remove it in my opinion.

I carry concealed all the way into the range and never even move toward my handgun until I am at my assigned shooting station and ready to start my range time. I always check my six before clearing holster and then go about my buisness.

If I have been seen on camera by the rangemaster clearing my holster, he has never said anything to me. The range employees and rangemaster are armed at all times and carry OWB.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

the ability to draw your weapon and shoot it instinctually is just as important as practicing shooting the weapon. if youre just standing in front of a target shooting youre only training for half of the proceedure. id recommend finding somewhere else to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalSelection
    the ability to draw your weapon and shoot it instinctually is just as important as practicing shooting the weapon. if youre just standing in front of a target shooting youre only training for half of the proceedure. id recommend finding somewhere else to shoot.
    I agree, but for when I just want to go to shoot I want to go to the range that's only 15 minutes away which points me back towards the original dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalSelection
    Absolutely. I'll be doing that as soon as funds allow. Not anytime soon though. It's wonderful that dry fire is free!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Assistant Administrator
    I am lucky - my two local choices are small clubs with adequate range facilities and - more often than not I can be there alone or with a buddy - we practice how we wish.

I can tho see the larger ranges that are run as commercial ventures having to play to the lowest common demominator - which unfortunately means the sorta guys who treat safety as a joke, including their own safety sometimes.

We all need active ''holster time'' for sure and it's a pity that larger ranges have to adopt these policies but much as I would hate being limited by them - can, if imagining myself as the proprietor, imposing similar.

May be only one in one hundred shooters who cannot act safely and responsibly but that would be enough to see a tragedy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have two nearby indoor ranges. One has a very, very strict policy of no loaded weapons of any kind from the front door to the range. You violate it you'll be shown the front door, probably permanently. Problem is it's also the best range. However at the other range since I'm allowed to carry my concealed weapon but not allowed to ever draw it. Hmm, still not the best option but at least I'm not disarmed.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I've visited clubs to participate in plate shoots. The club is also a "cold" range. I remain armed, wait until I'm at the indoor range, then ask the designated rangemaster to identify a safe area to clear my weapon. It hasn't been a problem so far.

So here's a dilemma: if a person carries, then they have to unholster and unload in the foyer of the range building.
    For reasons of history, our club rules prohibit concealed carry. However, I recommend to new members that if they are carrying, that they stay concealed until the get on the range. Once they are at the firing line, they can unload facing that big, safe backstop. Safer than unloading in the vestibule.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I'd find a new range as well.....
    i prefer outdoor ranges, due to the exposure to the elements and various degrees of lighting as well as temperature, you may find these offer a bit more freedom in what types of training they allow...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Links