Help me please! Decisions decisions

This is a discussion on Help me please! Decisions decisions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm new to the ccw world. I need some help deciding on a gun. Now, I have done alot of research, and read alot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Help me please! Decisions decisions

So I'm new to the ccw world. I need some help deciding on a gun. Now, I have done alot of research, and read alot of articles about various firearms etc. A bit about myself. Im 6'3, 200 pounds, and wear your typical "cowboy" attire, fitted jeans, tshirts, untucked button up shirts, and boots. I've thought about just carrying the glock 26 IWB, but realized id have to buy a whole new wardrobe of wranglers. I was pretty well set on a LCR for IWB, but the owner of the local gun shop showed me the Sig p238, which is a sweet looking gun. However, I've heard mixed thing about the 380acp for protection. Any help? I want something with some power, that I can IWB carry that wont require my jeans to be bigger. I've looked at the crossbread supertuck as my holster, now I just have to figure out which firearm to go with!

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    you say your a cowboy, get you a good commander sized 1911, nice and thin, .45 acp round, 8 round capacity which is three more than the LCR, 9 rounds with a loaded chamber, nice and thin, easy to conceal, and fun to shoot. thats what i would pick in your situation
    claude clay likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    I'm with Chris

but IWB generally calls for 1" larger in the waist and belt.
    its sort of one of them things thats hard to argue around

1911 with a 30 to 35 degree cant at 3:30 fit me fine when at 32x 32, 6'1" 185lbs

check out post #24 Am I the only person in the world that has this problem with Kydex holsters? (pics)

this is most interesting and may be what you are looking for.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I have some of the same problems and I went through different gun and two boxes of holsters.

Now I carry a Kel Tec P3AT with CT laser for low light and inside building etc. right front pocket in a Uncle Mikes #1 pocket holster modified to also carry my spare mag.

Am trying to work in a G36 45acp Glock IWB carry.

Wish you good results, but it has been my experience that finding the right carry and holster is not easy.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Before you decide, try to shoot as many different types of guns as possible. Be aware that CCW requires adjustments in your dress. You should shoot a pistol in the largest caliber that you carry and shoot accurately and conceal adequately. Look for something with a reputation for reliability. When you go to the range, ask people about the guns they are using. People are generally friendly. I have been invited to shoot lots of guns at the range, and I have invited others to shoot mine as well.
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

Trial and error. I started of with bigger and badder but ended up with smaller and more concealable.
    Cattus Vir and MadMac like this.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Wink

I also wear tighter jeans (levis) an boots but I carry a smith and wesson m&p .45 in a cbst. I also have a kel tec pf9 with ct grips that I absolutely love for carrying on relaxed pant days. Lol. I think you will find that a bigger gun hides better than you think. Just remember that your going to see it way more than anyone else. Also a little side note, the .380 is fine for carry in MY PERSONAL opinion. I Know someone personally who shot a intruder with one and geuss what, it worked. If you have something that looks like a gun and goes BANG like one, I promise they will be reconsidering there choices.

From your post, it seems that appearances are not unimportant to you. For a guy who's six-three and two bills, most of the .380 launchers like the P238 are going to look pretty puny on you.

Clint Smith (of Thunder Ranch) has a standard quote- "carrying a gun should be comforting, not comfortable." I'd steer you toward a compact 9mm, several of which are just a tad bigger then the .380s you've been considering. The LCP and P238 can be comfortably carried in as pocket (in a pocket holster), but something like a Kahr P9/CW9 or Walther PPS offers a more significant punch (9mm vs. .380) and possibly a round or two more.

Getting used to carrying a significant defensive handgun may take a little getting used to. Slender guns like the Kahr and Walther fit pretty easily in an IWB holster, but the Glocks, XDs and M&Ps are pretty chunky and IWB may not be comfortable for you with those guns.

Whichever direction you head, be aware that you need to dress around your weapon if you have made the serious decision to be armed. There will be some wardrobe accommodation necessary.
    Diddle likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Go size the Springfield Armoury XD subcompact. It comes in 9mm and 40 cal. It fit my hand better than the glock 26/27.

I picked the SA XD40 SC, love this gun.
    Diddle and thephanatik like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Just get a desert eagle gold plated and forget about it. But make SURE it has pearl grips and pimp that biachhh!!!

Another vote for the 1911. Nice and thin. Plus it's a classic, and you can't beat the classics, right?

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I didn't know there were any cowboy's in Greensboro, you must be a transplant from farther west. Damn, what do you wrangle down there, do they even grow cows in NC? HAHA! Just kidding, but for a cowboy a 1911 would look pretty bad ass with wranglers, boots, and a big belt buckle. With tight jeans like those I don't think you will want to carry anything IWB. Maybe reconsider and use a holster meant to be worn in-between a belt and the pants or just go OWB all the way since you wear untucked button up shirts.

I just did a review of a OWB holster for a 1911 Government Model in the holster section. It has a radical rake which keeps the bottom of the holster easily hidden by an untucked shirt. I do agree with some of the other posters though a .380 is going to look like a tiny gun with your size. I'm 6'1" and I have no problem concealing full size pistols, I switch between the aforementioned Govt., Sig P229, and XD .40 Service. On days where deep concealment is called for I pocket carry an S&W J frame 442.

DSC00776.jpg

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I carry a full size 1911 in a Desantis Speed Scabbard covered by an untucked shirt. I have a beautiful Milt Sparks VM2, but IWB is just not that comfortable for me.

Make sure you use a good gun belt.

Welcome! My main advice is go with something with the reputation of being very very reliable. And then...reliable.

And then practice with it, dry firing, range, drawing, drawing in non-optimal conditions (off-hand, 'injured', etc), finding an outlet like IDPA to practice moving and shooting. In other words...HAVE FUN and learn as you go.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links