Need advice for wife.

This is a discussion on Need advice for wife. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; adric22 , if she's also going to be carrying unchambered, be sure that both her as well as her firearm selection, if she goes with ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need advice for wife.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    adric22, if she's also going to be carrying unchambered, be sure that both her as well as her firearm selection, if she goes with an autoloader, allows her to get that first round in there *reliably*. The smaller you get, the harder this often becomes - and it's an interplay between how much of the firearm you may have to actually physically get a grip on with how tough the recoil spring happens to be with your wife's grip strength. There's some things that can be changed/made-better, so that you can get a positive rack-and-chamber, but sometimes, it just may be impossible, so help her select her firearms carefully! This should also extend to running malfunction drills, insuring that she can rip out a double-feed.

As for carry, indeed, it's the curves that kill. Combined with your hot weather and her choice of dress, that makes things doubly difficult.... I wish I could better help in this area, but my wife (who is, by the looks of your picture, of similar build/shape as yours) does not carry.

Best of luck!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    adric22, if she's also going to be carrying unchambered, be sure that both her as well as her firearm selection
    Yes, she carries unchambered too. However, I have made it clear that is her personal decision and I am not forcing her to do that. Heck, I'm just glad that when she does carry it, it is loaded! The first few times she went out she was afraid to keep live ammo in it. ?! (yes, I was scratching my head too)

We looked at the Ruger LCP since it is a popular one, but it is too hard to rack the slide. I'm not sure why, but it takes about twice the force as the Taurus. She can barely do it. So that one is off the table for the moment. Also, she has a belly-band holster she bought recently, but doesn't like it. In fact, she's bought about 5 holsters over the last month and doesn't like any of them. Between hers and mine we could probably open our own holster outlet.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. I'm still working with her, but I'm trying to be helpful and not overbearing.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Between hers and mine we could probably open our own holster outlet.
    I feel your pain on this one. I literally have a bucket of holsters in the closet. Most are used strictly for transport (when I don't have a spare rug available, I'll transport guns in holsters in the range bag).

A lot of holsters end up as trial and error, especially for women. It took me forever to find holsters I like for guns I'm reasonably proficient with. I either open-carry my 1911 on my hip, or conceal an SP101 or J-frame appendix carry - either OWB or IWB, depending on mode of dress and which belt I'm wearing. I usually wear a 5.11 belt - nylon with velcro. It may not be fashionable, but it's comfortable, and more adjustable than leather for those days when the waist size changes.

And I wouldn't worry too much about her carrying unchambered. For a long time I carried my 1911 that way, until I was more comfortable with it. It takes time. Count your lucky stars that she's willing to carry it, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Yes, she carries unchambered too. However, I have made it clear that is her personal decision and I am not forcing her to do that. Heck, I'm just glad that when she does carry it, it is loaded! The first few times she went out she was afraid to keep live ammo in it. ?! (yes, I was scratching my head too)

We looked at the Ruger LCP since it is a popular one, but it is too hard to rack the slide. I'm not sure why, but it takes about twice the force as the Taurus. She can barely do it. So that one is off the table for the moment.
    Yep, that's a concern - and again, remember that some guns, like the Kahr PM9, doesn't like to feed from "first round rack," so it becomes a hidden bogey that you guys should be aware of!

I'm glad that you guys were able to pick up on this concern already, and tried before you put up the cash. This is one of those things that we in the concealed-carry community routinely come upon.

Also, she has a belly-band holster she bought recently, but doesn't like it. In fact, she's bought about 5 holsters over the last month and doesn't like any of them. Between hers and mine we could probably open our own holster outlet.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. I'm still working with her, but I'm trying to be helpful and not overbearing.
    That's a hard compromise, ain't it? As a married man, I know that feeling all too well, too. And I definitely know the feeling of having a lot of holsters. But as a gear-whore, well, I kinda like that feeling!

The belly-band has another worry, too - a local concealed-carrier offered this tip for those of us who were considering it: that you pay special attention to the carry pistol, in terms of moisture/corrosion (including deodorant residue).

How about Thunderwear/SmartCarry?

Just some closure to this thread. I took my wife to the gun store yesterday and told her to pick a small gun for Summer carry. I thought it was going to be a show down between the Tauras TCP, Ruger LCP, or Keltec. But she decided the only one she liked was the Sig Sauer P238. She had to like the most expensive one they had, just figures. The reason she liked it was it had the easiest slide to rack, and fit her hand the best. Gun and holster set me back $550. But the good news is that she likes it and seems to fit her more comfortably. However, she still isn't carrying it because she wants to take it to the range and put a box of ammo through it first. I don't blame her on that one, so I guess we'll go try it out tomorrow.

Since your wife already likes the Walther check out the PPS it is a thin little gun. My wife carries one that migrates from her purse to a smart carry or occasionally OWB depending on the outfit. She really likes the smart carry and it does hide well although she might put on quite the show drawing it in a hurry I don't think you will find many women that can or are willing to make one carry method work all the time
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

I was going to suggest CorneredCat, SmartCarry and PPS but someone beat me to it.

I am glad she selected a Sig. Great weapon! I tried the P290 recently. It is a little heavy for a single stack 6+1 9mm, but it is VERY concealable.

We have my Wife's CCW on order. She will own a CZ 2075 Rami BD once CZ ships it to my dealer. Likely to be ankle carried in a DeSantis rig.

The Sig P238 will be excellent as long as it is reliable. Some specimens have feeding problems - you can do a search and find numerous related threads. So give the Sig a thorough wringing out.

Holsters are also a personal thing. Petite short waisted ladies sometimes prefer to carry crossdraw rather than strong side because strong side puts the gun butt too high to allow a reasonable draw. It also can be more concealable as it lays the gun butt beside the "lady profile" so it blends right in. Straight draw or a slight forward rake - maybe 5-8 degrees. I had a crossdraw version Gibraltar custom made by Ken Null K.L. Null Holsters Home Page for my petite wife after many other trials and errors. She carries about 9 O'clock position. Given the cost of custom you might want to get a cheepie to experiment first.
    FIST HolstersFIST, Inc. has a Lady Fist line worth a look. Their quality is excellent.

I was thinking maybe you should just get a new wife? : ) Never mind it will be cheaper to keep buying holsters and guns.

Thats easy for me to say. My wife is getting ready to take her cc class and we have already had many discussions on what to carry and how and yada yada yada. She has a Ruger LCP but i'm pretty sure we will end up with something else. Oh well, I'm like a kid in the candy store(Gun Shop)

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    I was thinking maybe you should just get a new wife? : ) Never mind it will be cheaper to keep buying holsters and guns.

Hey buddy, the best advice I have is to spend the money and enroll her in a good 2-3 day Defensive Shooting Course.

It will do several things. It will help get her into the right frame of mind. Survival is a very personal thing. Some people need some helpful nudging from professional gunfighting instructors to help her realize how serious she should be about wanting to carry the gun in the first place.

Once she gets her mind wrapped around the fact that it's a very dangerous world out there and the criminal thugs play for keeps out there. Also women are particularly vulnerable as they are a natural prey for predators in general. She'll understand that having the gun is her best option for dealing with those threats.

Also, she'll get first class training and will have a boat load of self confidence established. She'll definitely be much better prepared than you are, until you also receive the same type of training.

She'll also get some good idea's on how to choose a gun suitable for her, as well as how to dress for it.

Lastly, she'll have a lot of fun.

So seriously, spend the money and send her to a reputable shooting school.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

^ I wholeheartedly agree - and I actually think that this would be a good thing for any paired/family situation, too.

What I learned in such classes is so much more valuable than even tens of thousands of rounds and hundreds of hours spent target-shooting. All the more so if the course incorporates Force-on-Force simulations.

Before attending such courses, I did not fully realize that the overpressure from a close-range pistol discharge would cause me to literally pause - in an extreme-close-quarters it's-all-going-sour scenario, that quarter of a second could well have cost me my life or the life of my loved ones: but now I know. Before attending such courses, I did not fully understand the concept of what it means to shoot-on-the-move. That's just two things that comes right to mind, this very minute: give me ten more, and I'm sure I'll have a list of two dozen other things, and I've only been actively shooting since this past November, and have only taken about 40 hours of live professional training....

Particularly for those of us who've never had any formal martial training, these classes are worth their weight in gold.

Adric, I think you and your wife are working very well together towards the goal of everyday comfortable carry for her.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I just received a pair of compression shorts from Lady Kickbutt and the top too; so far fits snug to my P380 and SW640 pretty well; for days I want to wear summer attire.
    S&W 640-3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links