Wisconsin on the way!

This is a discussion on Wisconsin on the way! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For cops, a concealed carry law turns every traffic stop, public event or encounter with an angry civilian into a nerve-racking test to figure out ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wisconsin on the way!

For cops, a concealed carry law turns every traffic stop, public event or encounter with an angry civilian into a nerve-racking test to figure out who might be packing heat and who isn't.
    (quote was from the article) That is insane. This is the same type of things I hear from the antis here in Texas. The problem is, most of those people don't understand the strict requirements our state has in order to get such a license. That being the case, the chances of police even having an encounter with a license holder is rare at best. And as far as knowing who is packing heat, there are bound to be plenty of criminals walking around with illegal packing of heat already.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    My mother (never throws anything away type) found my old fire arms training certificate from Minnesota taken in 1959. Hope either that or my Minnesota carry license just recently converted to a non resident permit as I just moved to Wisconsin. will work.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

It may be too early to say, but in terms of reciprocity, what about an Illinois resident with non-resident Utah/Florida permits? Will they be honored in Wisconsin?
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    It sounds very good! Illinois will be the only state that does not allow a private citizen to carry a a handgun

"The weapons would be barred anywhere within 1,000 feet of school grounds, police stations, jails and prisons, courthouses, secure mental health facilities, and beyond airport security checkpoints."

I hope they do not add more places to that list.
    I wonder what kinds of carve outs the have for people who live in property adjoining (or within 1,000 feet of) said institutions. Heller/McDonald require the state to allow the guns in the house, but must you unload and carry under federal guidelines til you are 1,000 feet from the institution? Also, what about those roads that pass in front of such institutions and are not 1,000 feet away. This law, as reported in the article in the OP's post, is problematic. Hopefully, the actual law is more sane than the report.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The way it works, and it is part of the open carry language that was not carried over in entirety for the CC bill, is that if you live within 1000 yards of any of the aforementioned places you can have as many weapons on your private property as you want. They can be OCd or CCd because it is on YOUR property. This means inside, or outside, of your structures on your property.

That's the way it is in Wisconsin.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    The way it works, and it is part of the open carry language that was not carried over in entirety for the CC bill, is that if you live within 1000 yards of any of the aforementioned places you can have as many weapons on your private property as you want. They can be OCd or CCd because it is on YOUR property. This means inside, or outside, of your structures on your property.

That's the way it is in Wisconsin.

But if I do not live within 1000 yards of any of the those places and I want to go somewhere - or just walk - in the city while carrying my firearm, I will also have to carry a recently updated map that shows where those places are located so I can avoid them, otherwise I could get in big trouble. A 1000 yards radio implies a big area, not to mention if two or more of those institutions are located within 2000 yards from each other.

In any case, I am glad they approved lifting the ban
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

the permit will allow carry up to the border of school grounds, drive thru's to drop-off. i'm still amused about the fuss over police stations. law abiding citizens are still among the most feared why? maybe instead of a permit to carry we should just be required to wear uniforms, good guys wear white hats and bad guys wear black hats. it worked in the old westerns, you didn't fear the man in the white hat and you knew the one with the black hat was the one you couldn't trust.

mel
    The reason that law abiding citizen's are put under scrutiny is the simple reason that they are easy targets. Simply put, law abiding citizen=victim. Wisconsin has only gotten three things right since statehood: Beer, Bratwurst and the Green Bay Packers.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    (quote was from the article) That is insane. This is the same type of things I hear from the antis here in Texas. The problem is, most of those people don't understand the strict requirements our state has in order to get such a license. That being the case, the chances of police even having an encounter with a license holder is rare at best. And as far as knowing who is packing heat, there are bound to be plenty of criminals walking around with illegal packing of heat already.
    Every cop I talk to, in right-to-carry states, has no problem just asking whether or not whomever they stop is packing heat. An honest, law abiding citizen will always answer honestly. After all, their CC future depends on it. The bad guys are always going to be bad guys and CC will not alter that fact. This is just another non-issue worry from the anti's.

Life in Wisconsin is different than most of this country. We have been brought up to fear the gun. Look away from the bad man and he cannot hurt you. Kind of an Ozzy and Harriet life, what would anybody need a weapon for, we have others appointed to watch over us. Law enforcement has been provided for our protection. And that may be fine most of the time. But every now and then my cell phone cannot find a signal, or God forbid, I left the damn thing at home. And of course we've all been told to walk away from trouble, stand your ground and you will probably get what you deserve. Being raised in WI means that sometimes bad things happen to good people, oh well, at least you made the six o'clock news. Here, the "right to bear arms" has always meant I can choose to wear a short sleeve shirt. Besides, only a crazy person would try to defend themselves. We can never have enough government sponsered training for that, besides, that is the properly trained police officers job. "Protect and Serve" is a pretty catchy motto.

Man I love those brats!

What are you talking about? In almost the entire state people are hunters/fishermen. We group up with guns, are taught to respect guns, and use guns from an early age. At least that was the way it was as I grew up in the 80s. Guns are ingrained into our lives like beer, brats, and cheese are.

The only two places that don't believe in responsible gun ownership are Milwaukee and Madison. The two bastions of liberals who don't understand certain aspects of the real world and fear what they don't want to understand.
    limatunes likes this.

Yes, where the laws are made and the liberal media sends out it's propaganda. those two areas control much of the state in law and opinion. It's hard to believe Gov Walker rose to power through milw. county. The new power of the people comes from the Tea Party's. Stay involved.

I doubt Walker will get elected a second time. He's pissed off too many independant voters who coted for him. Had Doyle signed the CC bill either time it reached him, Walker would have lost. It's really that simple.

I can't wait til they start naming Gourmet Cheeses after Guns,
    Glock is a great cheese made from an old Austrian recipe
    Sig Sour is a cheese made with Swiss Goat milk and is extra sharp,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links