Wisconsin on the way!

This is a discussion on Wisconsin on the way! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Taurus is a bull, what kind of cheese do you get from them? Walker should do just fine if the consrvatives stay in the fight. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wisconsin on the way!

Taurus is a bull, what kind of cheese do you get from them?
    Walker should do just fine if the consrvatives stay in the fight. the Tea Party's are great motivators, you'd be suprised at the variety of people we get to them, everybody but public union people.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    It sounds very good! Illinois will be the only state that does not allow a private citizen to carry a a handgun

"The weapons would be barred anywhere within 1,000 feet of school grounds, police stations, jails and prisons, courthouses, secure mental health facilities, and beyond airport security checkpoints."

I hope they do not add more places to that list.
    Whomever wrote that wrote it badly...1000 feet from a police station?

That said...I don't even see schools mentioned in the prohibited places list...

(16) Prohibited activity. (a) Except as provided in par. (b), neither a licensee nor an out-of-state licensee may knowingly carry a concealed weapon, a weapon that is not concealed, or a firearm that is not a weapon in any of the following places:
    1. Any portion of a building that is a police station, sheriff's office, state patrol station, or the office of a division of criminal investigation special agent of the department.
    2. Any portion of a building that is a prison, jail, house of correction, or secured correctional facility.
    3. The facility established under s. 46.055.
    4. The center established under s. 46.056.
    5. Any secured unit or secured portion of a mental health institute under s. 51.05, including a facility designated as the Maximum Security Facility at Mendota Mental Health Institute.
    6. Any portion of a building that is a county, state, or federal courthouse.
    7. Any portion of a building that is a municipal courtroom if court is in session.
    8. A place beyond a security checkpoint in an airport.
    (b) The prohibitions under par. (a) do not apply to any of the following:
    1. A weapon in a vehicle driven or parked in a parking facility located in a building that is used as, or any portion of which is used as, a location under par. (a).
    2. A weapon in a courthouse or courtroom if a judge who is a licensee is carrying the weapon or if another licensee or out-of-state licensee, whom a judge has permitted in writing to carry a weapon, is carrying the weapon.
    3. A weapon in a courthouse or courtroom if a district attorney, or an assistant district attorney, who is a licensee is carrying the weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    My mother (never throws anything away type) found my old fire arms training certificate from Minnesota taken in 1959. Hope either that or my Minnesota carry license just recently converted to a non resident permit as I just moved to Wisconsin. will work.
    Your MN license will suffice.

(4) Training requirements. (a) The proof of training requirement under sub. (7) (e) may be met by any of the following:
    1. A copy of a document, or an affidavit from an instructor or organization that conducted the course or program, that indicates the individual completed any of the following:
    a. The hunter education program established under s. 29.591 or a substantially similar program that is established by another state, country, or province and that is recognized by the department of natural resources.
    b. A firearms safety or training course that is conducted by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors.
    c. A firearms safety or training course that is available to the public and is offered by a law enforcement agency or, if the course is taught by an instructor who is certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors or by the department, by a technical college, a college or a university, a private or public institution or organization, or a firearms training school.
    d. A firearms safety or training course that is offered to law enforcement officers or to owners and employees of licensed private detective and security agencies.
    e. A firearms safety or training course that is conducted by a firearms instructor who is certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors or who is certified by the department.
    2. Documentation that the individual completed military, law enforcement, or security training that gave the individual experience with firearms that is substantially equivalent to a course or program under subd. 1.
    3. A current or expired license, or a photocopy of a current or expired license, that the individual holds or has held that indicates that the individual is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or in another state or in a county or municipality of this state or of another state unless the license has been revoked for cause.
    4. Documentation of completion of small arms training while serving in the U.S. armed forces, reserves, or national guard as demonstrated by an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions or a certificate of completion of basic training with a service record of successful completion of small arms training and certification.

The 1,000 foot rule comes from the current law. All government buildings are specifically referenced. The question here is, does a CC permit allow you to ignore the distance ruling specified in current law? I imagine it will, but no ruling has specifically been given yet.

It seems that even in the enrolled version of the bill the amendments are STILL at the end of the bill rather than threaded into their respective sections...

Section 91. 948.605 (2) (a) of the statutes is amended to read:
    948.605 (2) (a) Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is [s]a school zone[/s] in or on the grounds of a school is guilty of a Class I felony. Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school is subject to a Class B forfeiture.

or is 948.605 the current statute that you speak of?

Funny how fast people get paranoid. I live in AZ but was visiting my old stomping grounds near the Horicon Marsh and went to the Piggly Wiggly (Grocery Store often called "The Pig") and found a newly printed sign on the door that said firearms are not allowed. I think it was the very day news broke that the legislature approved the bill. How idiotic. I asked why the sign was on the door and the nice lady said it was from "Corporate". I told her that was creepy....a policy that resulted in criminals carrying, but not honest citizens. She shrugged. I hope all you Wisconsinites will fight for your new-found freedom. The bill, when signed by Walker, is just the begining, there are a thousand little battles to be won and I hope you are all up to it. I sent this email to the Piggly Corporate office as the first salvo:

When I went to the Pig in Juneau, WI last week I was greeted with a new sign that said no firearms allowed. I assume this is a response to the newly passed (albeit not signed yet) legislation allowing concealed carry of firearms for self protection. Illinois is now the only state out of 50 that does not allow a person to protect themselves in this way. I found the sign and policy very odd - those who may want to use a firearm maliciously will certainly ignore the sign, but all the other customers who have been through a background check and deemed to be law-abiding will have to shop elsewhere or forfeit their ability to protect themselves and loved ones in your store. You certainly have the right to post a sign and not allow honest people to carry concealed firearms in your store (criminals of course will still be carrying in the store). I have many other places to get groceries in the Beaver Dam area and will not place my family in danger in order to shop in your stores. I hope you reconsider this apparent knee-jerk reaction. I doubt your thoughtful customers will feel safer with that piece of paper on the door.

Thanks, JIM
    Jim Heffelfinger
    Wildlife Biologist and Author of "Deer of the Southwest"
    http://www.deernut.com

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Wisconsin has only gotten three things right since statehood: Beer, Bratwurst and the Green Bay Packers.
    Don't forget cheese. Wisconsin makes pretty good cheese. Yum!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by DeerNut View Post
    When I went to the Pig in Juneau, WI last week I was greeted with a new sign that said no firearms allowed. I assume this is a response to the newly passed (albeit not signed yet) legislation allowing concealed carry of firearms for self protection. Illinois is now the only state out of 50 that does not allow a person to protect themselves in this way. I found the sign and policy very odd - those who may want to use a firearm maliciously will certainly ignore the sign, but all the other customers who have been through a background check and deemed to be law-abiding will have to shop elsewhere or forfeit their ability to protect themselves and loved ones in your store. You certainly have the right to post a sign and not allow honest people to carry concealed firearms in your store (criminals of course will still be carrying in the store). I have many other places to get groceries in the Beaver Dam area and will not place my family in danger in order to shop in your stores. I hope you reconsider this apparent knee-jerk reaction. I doubt your thoughtful customers will feel safer with that piece of paper on the door.

Thanks, JIM
    Nice letter!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Will they issue out of state premits? if they don't allow reciprocity that is. I will get one since I have family there.

I do believe training should be required. If you can't hit a target at 15' or so no soup/permit for u.

A follow up (within 12 hours!) to my letter posted above. Kudos to the Pig! Please everyone, take advantage of these opportunities. I have had resturants respond by taking signs down if you are polite and nice and explain that the sign is meaningless to criminals.

The response:
    Good afternoon Jim. My name is Jonathan Jensen and I am the owner of the Piggly Wiggly in Juneau. I was made aware of your concerns about the sign on my doors. Let me first say the sign actually says No Weapons allowed in the store unless law enforcement. This sign has been up for over 3 months now. You may recall that a few months ago all the turmoil in Madison concerning the Walker Budget. At that time there were reports brought to attention that people who were disgruntled with the budget were at that time disgruntled that the concealed carry bill was not passed yet. The sign was put on the window just as a safety measure until the bill was passed so we did not have people bringing in concealed to make a political statement. You will be happy to know that the signs did come down today because Governor Walker was to sign the bill late this afternoon or early Friday morning. I am all for the bill since it is in our Constitution the right to bear arms and think it is great that they added the safety measure of training to get the permit. I did find your website very interesting and will have my sons look at it since they love to hunt.
    Thanks
    jonathan Jensen
    Jim Heffelfinger
    Wildlife Biologist and Author of "Deer of the Southwest"
    http://www.deernut.com

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    Will they issue out of state premits? if they don't allow reciprocity that is. I will get one since I have family there.

I do believe training should be required. If you can't hit a target at 15' or so no soup/permit for u.
    they will not issue to non-residents.

What started out as an excellent Senate authored Constitutional Carry Bill was rapidly bashed by the Senate and Assembly into a poorly written (complex) Shall Issue Permit Bill. Yet again, law abiding citizens are expected to sign up to exercise a Constitutional Right. Where do I need to apply to attend a certain Church? Where do I need to sign in order to speak? Who do I pay so that I may vote?

Welcome to the Aristocracy. Thank goodness these folks are here to provide for us, and take care of us.

I will go do the DNR Hunter Safety Course, and I will go get the permit. Sad, but true that it's the right thing to do...

Menasha, WI.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

My understanding is they will reciprocate, in most cases, but will not issue to a non resident.
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    My understanding is they will reciprocate, in most cases, but will not issue to a non resident.
    I'm desperately waiting to see where they're going to honor and where they won't, I'd like not to have to disarm every time I go back there, but I also don't want to have to be paying every state in the union to be permitted exercise my rights; so I'm trying to keep the list short. I also don't want to have to do card tricks to figure out which permits the officer will recognize and accept.

Also will this be going into effect, when signed? 30days later? 90 days later? Jan 1, 2012?

Glock Certified Armorer

It says something like similar training. So since the DNR Hunter Safety Course seems ok, another State sponsored safety course is likely ok too. That part seemed ok, but. No permit state (Constitutional) is out of luck. Permit and State issued photo ID required to be shown, if requested by police.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links