The need to accept aesthetic attrition

This is a discussion on The need to accept aesthetic attrition within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Talking today with a fellow CCW and he was bemoaning the fact that his ''pretty'' Colt 1911 was showing holster wear! I am firmly of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The need to accept aesthetic attrition

Assistant Administrator

The need to accept aesthetic attrition

Talking today with a fellow CCW and he was bemoaning the fact that his ''pretty'' Colt 1911 was showing holster wear!

I am firmly of the opinion that this ''goes with the territory''.

My SIG has now had a year and a half's carry and has several areas of wear showing, despite being stainless - no way can it be carried, as now over 500 days, and not show some effects.

I expect most will (should) accept the changes in their piece - call it character building, whatever My first long term carry, before I used the P95 way back, was a trusty old M85 and boy, has that got some loss of blue!!

I don't carry a gun planning to resell!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Exactly, Chris. My carry piece isn't a monetary investment and I don't much care about the blemishes it will accumulate over the years. Rather, I see it as an investment toward the safety of me and mine.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

no doubt...
    The only gripe about that from me is when I'm trying to buy a gun that has holster wear on it. They are trying to tell me that its worth
    almost as much as that new one that I see 2 counters down. Don't think so....

Firearms are tools. My shovel doesn't look as nice as when I brought it home from the store nor does my axe. Time and use have taken their toll and left their mark. It is the same with a firearm.

Regardless of your occupation/profession, well-used, well-maintained gear is the mark of a professional.

Assistant Administrator
    Thing is Art, ideally - the exterior should for sure if worn, drop value quite a lot and yet - like as not, instance police trade-ins - we could finish up with a gun mechanically still quite ''young''.

I saw a trade-in 228 a ways back which was obviously a carry/duty gun but on appraisal reckoned it had only been shot for qualification/training. Probably never had more than 500 thru it and so was a great value purchase. To heck with the externals
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris, I concur, but when that price is close to a new one....unless it has very tasty internal upgrades.... I won't be going home with it.
    I bought a turn in from the Ohio state police once.
    A Beretta SS 96DAO with 3 Mec-Gar mags. Everything was coated in Robar NP3 (mags too...) Shot like buttah... a steal. Like you said... betcha the cop never shot it.
    Last edited by artz; July 31st, 2006 at 12:11 AM.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Goes with the territory..you cant drive a vehicle and expect it to stay spotless...unless you leave it in the garage....but that is no fun.

Those "carried" but not shot out trade ins are sometimes absolutely great deals, and with all the refinishing options out today, like DuraCoat, thats just another opprotunity to apply a sweet new finish.
    Fear No Evil.

Both my PT-111 and my XD .40sc show holster wear. My wife's Sig P239 shows holster wear.
    We bought these guns not to be presentaion pieces but to be working guns. They will have wear on them. If they didn't, it would be proof that they are not being carried enough.

My first carry gun, a full size PT-99 is finished in satin nickle. I am sure that if it was a blued gun, it too would show plenty of wear but its finish hides it very well. The barrel does show some wear marks where it contacts the slide during recoil, testiment to the over 25,000 rounds this gun has had pass through it.

But, I am with you all, a working gun will show wear from holsters, from being handled, from sitting on your hip and rubbing against you. They should show this wear. I think it adds character to them. And if they did not show this wear, you aren't carrying that gun enough.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

i would have to agree with you all.....if you carry the marks add a lot of character to the weapon and tells just HOW MUCH that person loves the gun to carry it that much =O) but if buying one used.....if they want almost the same price as a new one...they could at least blue it again....lmao

The advantages of buying used guns for carry

I have bought new guns a few times, but tend to prefer buying slightly used guns that I can examine before buying. And I will be very patient and wait until I find one at an attractive price. I am also not afraid to offer a lower price than the seller is asking. An added advantage is avoiding sales tax on the transaction, which cuts 5% to 8% off your price in most states.

The net result is that I often obtain a gun that looks pretty good, is broken in, but might already show a few signs of wear. So I don't feel too bad about using or carrying that gun, because the additional wear is not nearly as obvious as it would be on a brand new gun.

I do have a few guns that are "collector" items and in new condition. But these don't get fired or carried, and just sit in the safe to be admired and allowed to appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6
    Firearms are tools. My shovel doesn't look as nice as when I brought it home from the store nor does my axe. Time and use have taken their toll and left their mark. It is the same with a firearm.

Regardless of your occupation/profession, well-used, well-maintained gear is the mark of a professional.

Well said
    Blade-tech newbie
    steve@blade-tech.com

Lead Moderator
    Have to admit, I never understood the gripes about holster wear. The only way to avoid it is never carry the weapon. Sort of defeats the purpose.........
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lead Moderator
    even my 1911 which is less than a year old shows some wear from holstering. Just goes with use, I don't mind at all.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO holster wear is honest wear that shows the pistol is a dependable journymans tool , to me honest wear does not detract from a firearms enjoyment value at all . I do haggle the price a bit over it tho lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member

Well said everyone!

My new truck (actually it's a year and half old) now has a dent in the driver's door from a big rock thrown by a neighbor's kid.

I should have done that myself the day I got it!

Now it's a truck again and I can use and enjoy it!

The same goes for my handguns, now I no longer have to worry about wear.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links