Interviewed for an RN position today...Nurse threatened by knife last night!

This is a discussion on Interviewed for an RN position today...Nurse threatened by knife last night! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a new RN graduate, passed boards and am officially a registered nurse. So I have been trying to find a job. Today I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Interviewed for an RN position today...Nurse threatened by knife last night!

I am a new RN graduate, passed boards and am officially a registered nurse. So I have been trying to find a job. Today I interviewed for a great position on an oncology/hematology floor. I really want this position, and if it is offered I am going to take it. An interesting side note is that during the interview, the nurse manager said that just last night a patient's boyfriend was asked to step out of a patient's room during a sterile procedure. He evidently was on something and pulled a knife on the nurse and threatened her with it. They called security and he was arrested. She said, "Thank God for security!"

Well in SC we cannot legally carry a firearm in a hospital. This is something I wrestle with a lot. Job or life? Well, it give me a lot to think about, including researching other non-lethal methods of self defense that I might be able to carry. I don't have the mindset to rely on security to save my life. Granted, this is the only incident they have had like this that they can think of...but as I always say, anytime, anywhere.

So what are your thoughts? Concealed means concealed (granted you will be in legal trouble if you are caught carrying AND fired). Find a different profession? (Not going to happen...too much time and effort for this degree). Look for other methods of self defense? (I have SOME martial arts training)

Please...speak your minds
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

You are on the right track, explore other tools that meet the requirements.

I know it's not as popular a conviction any more but a mans word is his worth. If you sign on the dotted line then your honor is riding on that line. If you think you can't abide by the rules, go elsewhere that allows you that choice.
    WvHiker, Philly Boy and Max Well like this.

Administrator
    I think it is very prudent for anyone in the health care field to be proficient in some sort of H2H self defense methods. You will end up dealing with crazies (either just plain crazy or as a result of a legit medical issue) often enough for it to be ranked pretty high in importance IMO.
    Diddle and WHEC724 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree with Sixto, I've heard numerous cases of junkies coming through the emergency room only to attack the people trying to save them. H2H skills are important, and I'd carry a contact weapon and knife. I'm iffy on a chemical deterrent. In a hospital environment you never know who might get the effects of that inadvertently and what damage it might cause them. I'd hate to use the stuff on someone and not realize you were right outside the room of a patient with poor respiratory function. Just saying.
    JOHNSMITH and gilraen like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I was going to say get pepper spray, but paaiyan makes a good point that a chemical irritant could have very ill effects for some in a hospital. Who wants to get sued for killiing grandma in room 327 with respiratory problems when you doused an attacker in the hallway with pepper spray?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think it is very prudent for anyone in the health care field to be proficient in some sort of H2H self defense methods.
    Interesting you point this out. Here is a article from the (Kentucky) Hearld Leader - Divas In Defence which is offered by a local hospital.

To the OP, my wife faces the same issues as you. Fortunately her profession, RN, CRRN is focused on physiological issues (brain and spinal cord) I would think than ER and substance abuse areas would be quiet dangerous.

Best!

diddle

Senior Moderator
    Get a Taser and keep it close by. You WILL get a chance to use it at some point in your career,especially if you do anything in or around the E.R.

It's better than pepper spray, it can immobilize someone until security gets there and cuffs em. Its non lethal( for the most part) and it does the job in away that no other detterant can do.
    sigmanluke likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I understand where you are coming from. In my line of work (firefighter), and in my particular territory (inner city) we get put in harms way a few times. I must add, noone carries firearms while on duty, as we are very fortunate to have a great police department and it is illegal. However, I did learn a few things. One of the more obvious things to do in a situation where you can feel the tension rising, is be sure to let the patient know you're not there to get them in trouble or hurt them. One of my famous lines on the scene of a medical call is "I'm not the police, you can tell me" or something along those lines. Granted, this only works on people with some sense of a sound mind. Secondly, there's power in numbers. Hospitals are packed (atleast around here). Get other people in the room with you if you feel the patient might become physical. And the most important thing, LEAVE. In my experiece if someone appears to be of sound mind and they say "Don't touch me!" I don't. You're there to help, but I've got to go home in the morning alive. I wouldn't risk losing your job by carrying a weapon at the hospital, just my .02 cents.

VIP Member
    While it sucks you can't be armed with your gun, it really isn't worth the risk of getting caught and loosing your permit.
    While OC spray is an option, as mentioned if used in the wrong location, it could have undesirable effects on others. Not sure about legality of other type contact weapons in SC.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Get a Taser and keep it close by. You WILL get a chance to use it at some point in your career,especially if you do anything in or around the E.R.

It's better than pepper spray, it can immobilize someone until security gets there and cuffs em. Its non lethal( for the most part) and it does the job in away that no other detterant can do.
    Tasers are great and work most of the time. My family got to witness police chasing a guy on foot through an intersection and they tased him in the middle. Dropped him like a rock. However keep in mind that if you miss, you need to move to another method of defending yourself in a hurry. They're also not always effective on everyone. Depends on where it hits and what condition they're in. I got tased as part of a demonstration and had the presence of mind and physical capability to remove the leads. I'm not saying I could do it again, but it's just something to keep in mind. I will say that despite being able to do that, it DID hurt like heck and did impair my movement. I also was tired afterward as it causes a hard contraction of the muscles.

Tasers are great and they have their use, I just always feel the need to say that they are not a guarantee, just like a firearm isn't.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

The best defense against a knife is to run. Running away doesn't do much for the ego, but if you've ever seen anyone killed in a knife attack you'll understand why.
    kaboomkaboom likes this.

I agree with H2H or F2A ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Along with handguns I do not believe nurses are allowed to carry pepper spray, tasers are knives in the hospital. Security and
    (if applicable) the hospital Police Dept are your best friends. H2H training, quick feet and the panic button are your first defensive tools. Now before I get blasted for saying those things that may not be the case at every hospital in every city of every county of every state but it is here.

VIP Member
    I completely understand, I've fought suspects at the hospital as well as other patients while I just happened to be there, it happens. My wife is also a nurse. They actually had policies of not fighting back against patients and just call security. We talked about that and I taught her some things about dealing with someone hands on, and she promised me she wouldn't let herself get hurt for a policy, but nor would she get herself into a bad spot and try to be the "hero"

H2H skills would be the first thing I would recommend in your situation
    OC is out like others have said, possibly taser, but then you have oxygen lines to watch out for
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Defend yourself with whatever is legal/permitted. Don't risk your career. Jobs aren't growing on trees these days.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links