Getting in shape has unexpected advantages to CCW

This is a discussion on Getting in shape has unexpected advantages to CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About 5 months ago, I was told by my Doctor that I was diabetic. Now, this was a surprise to me but in hindsight, it ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting in shape has unexpected advantages to CCW

About 5 months ago, I was told by my Doctor that I was diabetic. Now, this was a surprise to me but in hindsight, it shouldn't have been.

I was medically discharged from the US Navy due to a shipboard accident in Feb. 1992 where I basically bent my knees backward. I broke bones, snapped ligaments and tendons. I had a total of 12 operation on my knees to repair the damage and I now carry approx. 2 pounds of metal in each knee. I walk with a slight limp as my right knee is a little worse off than the left.
    As a result of these injuries, it is painful to say the least to run. So, I don't jog anymore. My knees occasionally slip out of joint also and seem to do it more if I try to run.
    So, needless to say, I had gotten fat a soft over the years since my military career came to an end. I am 5 foot 8 and I weighed in at 265 pounds at my heaviest, when the Doc told me about my diabetes. He also told me that the diabetes could be lessened by losing weight.

I decided to get into shape. I bought a Nordic Track elliptical trainer (no impact) and I have been using it. I go for 3 miles every night on it. I lift some weights. I do 250 crunches and 100 leg lifts every night.
    I have lost 50 pounds at this point. I am down to 215 pounds and feeling better than I have in many years.
    But something else has happened. Something I did not expect. It has become easier to conceal my handgun. As my waist has shrunk (from a 46 inch waist to a 38 inch) my shoulders have become wider than my waist! I can conceal my gun much easier now than before. With just a T-shirt I can conceal my XD and the PT-111.

Something else, I also feel that my mental alertness is much improved with the more weight I loose. I had really not expected this but it seems to be the case.

I post this just to let everyone out there who may also need to loose a few pounds about my experience. I say go for it. You will be impressed at the change you see in yourself in a short time. I feel better able to defend myself and my family now than I have in a long time. And when it comes down to it, isn't that what we are all really about here? Defending our loved ones the best we can? I had not thought of it before but, being out of shape was a great hindrance to my ability to protect my family. I am not at my goal yet, I want to get to about 180 to 170 pounds, but I am already more confident in my ability to defend my loved ones.

I hope you guys don't mind my sharing all that.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

hey keep up the good work! doing great so far. hope you get to your goal..

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Absolutely, I have gone from 247 to 213 so far this year and what a difference. Now if I could just give up smoking but one thing at a times I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by PT-111
    I was medicaly discharged from the US Navy due to a shipboard accident in Feb. 1992 where I basically bent my knees backwards.
    Ouch.

Administrator
    Great that you took those positive steps to get yourself back into condition.
    It's hard, constant work doing that & you are to be commended for sticking with it.
    Glad that you refused to let your unfortunate accident beat you down.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PT-111
    I decided to get into shape. I bought a Nordic Track elliptical trainer (no impact) and I have been using it. I go for 3 miles every night on it. I lift some weights. I do 250 crunches and 100 leg lifts every night.
    I have lost 50 pounds at this point. I am down to 215 pounds and feeling better than I have in many years.
    But something else has happened. Something I did not expect. It has become easier to conceal my handgun. As my waist has shrunk (from a 46 inch waist to a 38 inch) my shoulders have become wider than my waist! I can conceal my gun much easier now than before. With just a T-shirt I can conceal my XD and the PT-111.
    Excellent! I did the same thing about three years ago, and went from 265lbs to 200, and from a 44 in waist to 34 in. You are right. Your alertness goes up, reaction time improves, it is a lot easier to conceal my P229, and I just downright feel great! My wife also likes the fact that I don't snore anymore.

My total colesterol is down in the low 180s, blood pressure is consistenetly around 113/76 and where my blood sugar levels were borderline diabetic previously, they are now well below the threshold. I work out 5 days a week, mostly running, biking, and swimming, and some weights. I also have a Weider Crossbow at home that I use when I just don't feel like going to the gym. I also eat more sensibly, where before I was living to eat, I now eat to live.

I will be 50 in September, and my doctor says if I don't have any unfortunate accidents, I should live to be 100.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

pt-111, Glad to hear a success story. Thank you for your personal testimony. I hear about so much crap these days from infomercials, etc., its hard to decipher.
    When I get back on my feet, I'm gonna look into the nordiac-track.
    I am 5'10" about 290 to 300 lbs. I had a heart attack about 4 years ago at 39. I left the navy in late 1991. Then I was running 5 miles a day, doing a couple of hundred push-ups and set-ups easy, and was like greased lightning with a 34" waist. I weighed an "overweight" 220 lbs. by navy standards with a 21" neck. I was outta shape.
    Yeah...right. Go figure....
    Now...I am out of shape. I have a huge desire to return to my former glory, or come close. The reasons are obvious. I have too much to live for. A new love, and shes only 30 with no kids (I'm 43), a future possibility of becoming a father for the first time, an aging mother to take care of. My dad died at 51. Poor guy looked like 80.
    All the booze and cigarettes didn't help. I have a good 25 to 30 years to go and I'm determined and scared at the same time...
    Its nice to know, I'm not alone and our disease can be defeated or controlled.
    Again thank you... Artz

I have to say that I hear these stories over and over. Other than my day job, I also am a personal trainer. To see you guys taking the proper steps to ensure a better quality of life makes me happy. It's not only to YOUR benefit.....but your loved ones. I bet that you find the people around you very excited to see your gains. When you find yourself lacking motivation, just think of them. Think of the times you will miss by expiring early in life.

If anyone needs diet/training advice.....just ask. It's pro-bono to the board.

PT-111......check out www.mendosa.com ......lots of great information for you there my man ;)
    Blade-tech newbie
    steve@blade-tech.com

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Btech_COO
    If anyone needs diet/training advice.....just ask. It's pro-bono to the board.
    This is worth it's weight loss in gold.

Thanks and a belated Welcome! to the forum.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Assistant Administrator
    PT-111, most informative and useful post. Certainly something to inspire a good few folks I'll bet.

I am fortunate still to be not too bad for weight (6.00 and 200#) - most spare real estate is up front and high! - so waist line not bad at 36". This means I am still slim enough of hip to have my cover garment hang over slight space - and for sure this aids concealment greatly.

I did a thread last February on this - http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=6794
    and in that put this diagram I drew - to help show what I meant - and I daresay it is pretty much the point you were making.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Btech - hello -

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

thanks Btech ! and Welcome aboard !

Lead Moderator
    Great, also noted, physical well being can help you have a happier outlook on life. I know I feel much better now I am exercising more.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Hell yeah, man. I'm in the process of doing the same thing. Run as far as I can before collapse every morning (I know that ain't healthy but I feel great about it), quit smoking, changed my eats. It's a great feeling.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

PT-111,

Thanks for the uplifting report !

What you have described is also my long range goal. Going to really make an effort to shed pounds after I get over these radiation treatments. Cancer docs said that I should feel somewhat 'normal' again about a month or so after the treatments end in September. Then it will be time to start a training schedule and try to get back to where I was before meeting Bambi back in 2003.

I have lost 10 pounds in the last few weeks because of the radiation treatments. If that continues, it will certainly help my long range goal. I would not recommend this method of losing weight to anyone.... unless ya buy stock in 'Charmin Ultra' first !

VIP Member
    But I'm already in shape... round is a shape right?

Seriously, I needed the encouragement!

Great post PT-111, thanks!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links