Today at McDonalds, Firearm drawn (by me)

This is a discussion on Today at McDonalds, Firearm drawn (by me) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by adric22 Unfortunately, I have learned on this board that if you make a mistake and post about it, even a self-admitted mistake, ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 108
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Today at McDonalds, Firearm drawn (by me)

  1. #46
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Unfortunately, I have learned on this board that if you make a mistake and post about it, even a self-admitted mistake, prepare to be crucified by the masses.
    It's not "crucifixion" - it is a rigorous examination of the fact pattern presented.

    Good Lord, I hope you never find yourself defending your actions in a court. If you think this is is bad....

    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I, for one, appreciate your story. Every time I hear a story, even when a mistake was made, it helps me be better prepared for when a similar situation may happen to me. I have to admit in a case like this I may have not bothered to call the cops either since nobody was actually injured and it appeared to be ended by the sight of the gun. However, after reading some of the possible outcomes pointed out here, I think in the future if it happened to me, I'd probably go ahead and call. That way my side of the story is recorded before anyone elses.

    Oh.. and I might also add, I would have probably gotten out of the car too. It appears most people on this board would disagree. But my reason is that if somebody is approaching me with the intent to beat me up, I feel very vulnerable in the car. I've had martial arts training but most of that is useless when I'm pinned inside of a car. So if there is going to be a fight, I'd rather be on my feet. Also glass can be broken easily. Now, on the other hand, if I im in a position where I could just drive away before he got to me, that is another case entirely.
    Do you completely understand the legal situation in Florida with regard to being inside your vehicle as opposed to outside of it?

    Matt
    JDE101 and TSiWRX like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #47
    Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Metro DC
    Posts
    958
    Some would call that a golden opportunity wasted. (Mostly meant tongue in cheek.)

  4. #48
    Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Metro DC
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Oh.. and I might also add, I would have probably gotten out of the car too.
    I absolutely would have also. Being without mobility during a confrontation is not a strategy I plan to employ.
    Tzadik likes this.

  5. #49
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    15,869
    By your comments, I don't feel you're quite ready to be carrying. Your decisions lack . . . forethought.

    And I hope you learned something about using drive thrus, especially at Mc Ds.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  6. #50
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    15,869
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    It's not "crucifixion" - it is a rigorous examination of the fact pattern presented.

    Good Lord, I hope you never find yourself defending your actions in a court. If you think this is is bad....



    Do you completely understand the legal situation in Florida with regard to being inside your vehicle as opposed to outside of it?

    Matt
    Plus a bit one! The implications of true SD would have leaned heavily in his direction had he remained inside the car.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  7. #51
    Member Array Vtxdpm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    249
    Many other good comments on here already. I would add this...

    I'm glad it ended relatively well (aside from not calling police).

    Several times now you have posted about only being 21 and that you just started carrying - sorry but neither of these grant you any leeway. An error in judgement can be very costly on several different levels. Youthful inexperience will not grant you immunity, in fact it will be another factor held against you.

    "Experience is learning the lesson, but only AFTER the test is given".

    Don't get too down on coulda, woulda, shoulda - just learn from the experience and resolve to do better.
    limatunes, TSiWRX and Tzadik like this.

  8. #52
    Member Array alafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    132
    I thing i learned about this site is that you will get everyone input which is a good thing good or bad. Take the advice and learn from it. Yes you should have called 911 while it was going on.
    Myself would have pulled away and been on the phone from the time he got out of his car and had my gun in my lap,in the car with my windows up.
    But you never know what you would have done unless you been there.

  9. #53
    Ex Member Array azchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oceanfront Property
    Posts
    3,850
    Adric You made a choice to carry a firearm as a self defense tool. With that comes great responsibility and practiced tolerance. You should morally go out of your way to avoid conflict both verbal and physical. That means rolling up your window and simply driving away. If staying and posturing is your decision you need not carry. Physical confrontation is not always an excuse to draw on someone and you should be the better man especially when carrying. Throwing yourself into an escalating situation is irresponsible. Roll your window up and drive away. Is your five dollar heart attack in a sack really worth a fight or possible shooting? Plus at short range a competent jailhouse knife fighter can stitch you up and cause much more damage to you than you can with your firearm. Knives are much worse than firearms at close range.
    TSiWRX and SARR001 like this.

  10. #54
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,655
    There are some mistakes made here, mainly the after the fact attitude (he was looking for a fight so I'll give it to him) but all in all, I think it was OK. Not the best thing to do, but OK. Two things to consider though;

    First, you were in your car. Was the car broke? Why not drive away? Getting out of the car might have actually helped your court room defense though. That takes away your avenue of escape- dude pulls knife and accosts is grounds for a shooting no matter how you look at it.

    Second, You abandoned ship with your girl still in the car. What happens if the BG gets the better of you?

    I'm not Monday morning QB'ing, just something to think about.

    Oh and adric22, the only reason you got "crucified" is because you whine and cry about getting solid advice that you solicit by posting here. Take the opinions and advice like a man and move on- and nobody will crucify you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  11. #55
    Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida View Post
    This may sound immature but he was asking for a fight and I was going to give it to him, Where I'm from a little fight in the parking lot is just that, a fight. I've been in many fights and this was just going to be another...whatever. However, this is the first time someone challenged me to a fight and then decided to pull a knife, it fliped the entire script. I know it seems you guys play by the book, to the T (not being mean at all, it's good, and informing me on the legality of things is excellent, I truly appreciate it and will use it in the future) but come on when you were 21 and someone challanged you a fight did you just roll up your windows and call the police? Relax. I know owning a gun is a HUGE responsibility and I don't take it lightly. Maybe I did a few things wrong but, I had every right to pull my weapon.
    Your right it does sound immature, and thats coming from someone 1 year younger than you. I'm only 20, I carry a firearm every day for my protection and for my profession and if this situation had happened to me, My windows would have been rolled up and I would have been driving away. My truck is a 3000 pound battering ram, and theres no way I would be hurt inside it by someone with a knife. Now heres what the law says, at least in Indiana. He gets out of the car and comes back towards you yelling, you get out yelling. He pulls a knife and you pull a gun. Because of the fact that you got out of the car you are called a mutual combatant. You got out of the car and entered into a fight with this man, and then you both involved weapons. thats felony assault with a deadly weapon because of the fact that you and your temper could not stay in the car and call police. I'm sorry you feel that was a justified situation, but it would not have gone your way had you shot him. In my professional opinion you acted recklessly, endangered your girlfriends life, and possibly shot someone over a pancake. You really expect us to take you seriously and believe that you know how big of a responsibility CC is when you say "thats all, LOL" LOL? Really? Are you seriously LOL'ing after a possible LETHAL FORCE encounter. You almost had to KILL someone, do you not understand how serious that is and how much of a non lol moment that is. You pull a gun on someone and you are putting them in the ground, dead, no longer alive, no more breathing. This is not a game of who is more macho, cowboys and indians, cops and robbers, (well maybe for the LEO's on here it is), or a lets show off my pretty gun. You acted irresponsibly and dangerously and I sincerely hope you put your gun away until you are ready to carry it. Even later on in your posts you continue the LOL'ing and macho boasting of "I got to pull my gun, I got to pull my gun." Your attitude is all wrong, and you need to get it adjusted.

    I am Inccwchris and I approve this message.
    TSiWRX likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

  12. #56
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,655
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    In my professional opinion...
    What? Sorry bub, you're 20 years old and a security guard. You have none yet.

    That is all.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  13. #57
    Member Array hoghunter84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    149
    Im sure if anyone here has to draw their weapon they are not going to stop to think hey am I doing this right? All that goes out the window when your life is in danger. I would have done the same thing he did by getting out of the car to leave his GF in the safety of the vehicle and lure the guy away from her. Cant do a whole lot if you are buckled in a car and a guy is stabbing you in the neck. But as everyone else said the OP should have called the police to report a crazy.
    Tzadik likes this.

  14. #58
    VIP Member Array jwhite75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,323
    I dont think anybody is busting your cajones just trying to make sure you keep your right to carry intact. You definitely in my opinion had every right to draw your weapon. You know you should have called the cops. Yes you are 21, but you have to be different than other 21 year olds when you carry a gun. You cant just accept that getting into fights now and then is part of life. It is not. Since I was 16, I have been 6'3" and 250-285 lbs. I have been in less than 5 fights my entire life. Not that the opportunityies havent presented themselves.

    Something you need to consider is every fight you get into is a gun fight when you are carrying. Probably need to seriously consider your demeanor and way you see the world and walk around in it if you are going to continue CCW and walking around free.
    limatunes likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.


    I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

  15. #59
    Member Array oneeyedwilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    behind the moon
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Your right it does sound immature, and thats coming from someone 1 year younger than you. I'm only 20, I carry a firearm every day for my protection and for my profession and if this situation had happened to me, My windows would have been rolled up and I would have been driving away. My truck is a 3000 pound battering ram, and theres no way I would be hurt inside it by someone with a knife. Now heres what the law says, at least in Indiana. He gets out of the car and comes back towards you yelling, you get out yelling. He pulls a knife and you pull a gun. Because of the fact that you got out of the car you are called a mutual combatant. You got out of the car and entered into a fight with this man, and then you both involved weapons. thats felony assault with a deadly weapon because of the fact that you and your temper could not stay in the car and call police. I'm sorry you feel that was a justified situation, but it would not have gone your way had you shot him. In my professional ( ) ()opinion you acted recklessly, endangered your girlfriends life, and possibly shot someone over a pancake. You really expect us to take you seriously and believe that you know how big of a responsibility CC is when you say "thats all, LOL" LOL? Really? Are you seriously LOL'ing after a possible LETHAL FORCE encounter. You almost had to KILL someone, do you not understand how serious that is and how much of a non lol moment that is. You pull a gun on someone and you are putting them in the ground, dead, no longer alive, no more breathing. This is not a game of who is more macho, cowboys and indians, cops and robbers, (well maybe for the LEO's on here it is), or a lets show off my pretty gun. You acted irresponsibly and dangerously and I sincerely hope you put your gun away until you are ready to carry it. Even later on in your posts you continue the LOL'ing and macho boasting of "I got to pull my gun, I got to pull my gun." Your attitude is all wrong, and you need to get it adjusted.

    I am Inccwchris and I approve this message.
    Just take one word out and it ain't a bad post at all. That one little thing just ruined a otherwise credible post.

    To the OP- You should have just drove away. MCD's ain't worth all that.
    jwhite75 likes this.

  16. #60
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,655
    OK, OK, Stop picking on the "professional". Lets get back to the topic at hand.
    TSiWRX likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

ccw in mcdonalds
,
concealed weapons permit florida if you have adhd
,
drawing concealed weapon
,
have you ever ccw then decided to stop
,
mcdonald's firearm policy
,

mcdonalds ccw

,

mcdonalds firearm policy

,
mcdonalds firearms policy
,

mcdonalds gun policy

,
mcdonalds policy on guns
,
mcdonalds weapons policy
,
mcdonalds, check your guns at the door
Click on a term to search for related topics.