Rethinking My Decision To Carry

This is a discussion on Rethinking My Decision To Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been around guns all my life. I'm never been an avid hunter but I've always felt comfortable and have owned a number of different ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Rethinking My Decision To Carry

Rethinking My Decision To Carry

I've been around guns all my life. I'm never been an avid hunter but I've always felt comfortable and have owned a number of different guns for a lifetime. With the crime situation as it is in my city, I recently made the decision to obtain a carry permit for my wife and myself. I had started to do this a number of years ago and just never did it. I think it was a wise move but I'm now having reservations about my decision. From what I have been reading on this and other forums it's becoming apparent to me that in the event that you did have to use a gun to protect your life, the situation would have to be so absolutely cut and dried in your favor that it makes me wonder if it's the correct decision for me or my wife. I am a responsible and law abiding citizen and retired from the military with almost 30 years of service if that counts for anything. However,I do have the feeling that my wife or myself would be victims of, in my personal opinion, a criminal justice system which cares more for the rights of the criminal than the rights of the victims. I don't want to spend my retirement years in fear of being a victim but I don't want to have to be involved in ongoing civil or criminal litigation for the rest of my life. Hope I will arrive at the correct decision for me and mine. As Huckabee says, that's my opinion, I welcome yours.

2. Remove Ads

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

You use your firearm when you have NO other choice. In that situation you would die anyway, so having to spend some time in court sure beats being dead.
    Illusive Man likes this.

Administrator
    Carrying is not for everyone. If I were in your shoes and had the fears you express here (and they are very legit and real concerns) I'd seek some before hand legal council or perhaps seek out some additional legal training pertaining to CCW. This might help set your mind at ease if you are fully educated on the situation- or it will convince you completely that CCW is not right for you. Either way, you will come out ahead.

I do applaud your caution and not being a cowboy about this issue. It is very real and you need to address all your concerns now, before you get into a sticky situation.
    JD, babyhulk, 9MMare and 5 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I can understand your concerns because I've had many of the same concerns myself. If I ever have to use my gun, it will be under circumstances where the threat of serious bodily injury or death to me will be so apparent and imminent that any jury of reasonable people will conclude that I had no other choice.

Even with that, there aren't any guarantees, but at least with a gun in your possession, you have a choice. Without one, you just become another victim.

Senior Moderator
    You do need to rethink it. I agree with Sixto that some good training is in order. If you get the right training, it will school you on the legal aspects of a shoot, what to do, what not to do.

The thing is, you must be around to contemplate. If you get into an encounter with some one that preys upon people for a living, IF you survive it you will spend the rest of your life second guessing yourself. It will take a long time for you to forgive yourself for a lapse in judgement if you get injured or worse, someone you love gets injured because you thought that you didnt need to defend yourself with a gun.

You are a retired military guy and if you are like everyone else that gets up in age, you arent as spry or physical as you used to be. Fact of the matter is...there are people out there that only understand force, and that is what it takes to get the point across,thats the only thing that they understand.

People carry guns because there is alot of evil in the world. It sucks, but that is the way it is. I wish that it werent so, but wishing it away wont change reality.

I understand the fact that it can be very discouraging to realize that the criminal justice system is not all it could be. You ought to see it from a Law Enforcement perspective, its even worse. Its because of the shortcomings of the system that you alone must take responsibility for your own protection and that of your family because the cops wont be there until AFTER the fact. In most cases, just presenting a gun to a thug is enough to run him off. If not, you'll be glad you had it.

Dont give it up yet. Get some training and with practice you'll feel a little better.

And BTW..welcome to the forum.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Welcome to the forum.

To help you resolve your mindset about the use of deadly force, I strongly recommend you read Massad Ayoob's "In the Gravest Extreme." The information about equipment is dated, but the core content about why and when to employ deadly force are virtually timeless.

Even better if you can swing it is to got to one of Ayoob's MAG courses... well worth it, even if you have to travel.
    Massad Ayoob Group
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Welcome to the forum. I agree 100% with those that have already replied here. Another thing you can do if you seek legal advise is check into whether your state has a Castle Doctrine and/or stand your ground law. With a justified shooting that falls under those laws you are, for the most part, exempt from any civil trial as well.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have always heard that it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    QKShooter and Chad Rogers like this.

You sound like exactly the type of person I would want to carry. An individual that has taken the time to think things through regarding the responsibility that goes with carrying a firearm for personal protection. By all means get some training. It's a benefit in practical terms and would also support the view that you would only use your firearm responsibly and in the "Gravest Extreme" if you had to use it and end up being judged by 12.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Well spoken everyone. I think the impotant thing that many over look is its to easy to get a cc permit. I think many people who have permits shouldn't have one due to lack of responsibility and training. Many cc permit holders don't use their weapons regularly or even think through scenairos that they may come across which may require them to use deadly force. I believe we have a lot of Cowboys out there. One posted previously about an incident at a McDonalds drive through. Talk about a Cowboy looking for a gun fight. I wish he was a wise as you in your thinking process. I believe those who carry responsibly and use their weapon for true self defense will ultimately be justified by their actions. I am 40 and fairly reserve, however when I was 21, not so much, I definitely shouldn't of had a gun even though I believe they have the right to carry and defend themselves.

I believe your the guy I want carring a gun.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

First, yes, almost 30 years you dedicated to protecting us in one fashion or another certainly does count for a whole lot. I for one appreciate every single hour you did.

The biggest benefit of your time is that it shows you can deal with the sometimes ridiculous parts of a day without going to extremes. If nothing else the military is perfect training on how to deal with the absurd at times. This is great for carrying a concealed handgun also.

You have the wherewithal to know you need to take care of yourself and have taken the first steps in doing that. Instead of rethinking your decision to carry lethal force with you, think instead of how to supplement it with additional options. Think of things like OC spray, situational awareness training, even some of the simpler hand to hand tactics that don't require a teenagers agility to perform.

This will give you options at what ever level of threat you may ever find yourself in.

Don't forget that the worst day in court is still better than the best day in a grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I have always heard that it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    Exactly
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Welcome to the forum. If you still enjoy your guns, I hope you keep shooting. I enjoy IDPA practice for the skills it teaches, and dont really plan to compete.

There are a very limited types of situation where I see myself using my gun (outside home defense). Partly because I am not trained to do so in certain situations. I believe that for many SD situations you'll need CQB (close quarters battle) training as well. I dont have that as much as I'd like to develop those skills. And you have to be holster carrying, which I do not. I have other things like pepper spray, flight, and that all-important situational awareness that I'll have to rely on. Most days, it is just a huge weight in my purse. (But a comforting one, as JC said). But if it's not comforting for you, dont do it.

You can still be very safe even if not carrying a firearm. Permit or not, you certainly do not have to do so. Do what feels right for you.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I blame Ayoob for this fear mongering mentality. The truth is, you have very little to worry about in the aftermath of a justified shooting. In most cases it is very easy go prove justification.
    Chad Rogers likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links