Respect shown for CHL holders

This is a discussion on Respect shown for CHL holders within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to Bass Pro Shop's Shooting Range (Grapevine, TX) today with a buddy to do a little plinking. I had never shot at their ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Respect shown for CHL holders

Respect shown for CHL holders

I went to Bass Pro Shop's Shooting Range (Grapevine, TX) today with a buddy to do a little plinking. I had never shot at their range before. When I approached the front check in area with my range bag, the lady asked if I had a CHL, I said "yes" and she said she didn't need to inspect or check in my guns ( I was also carrying my G19 fully loaded in my M-Tac holster.) My friend, however does not have his CHL and of course, she had to inspect (make sure they were unloaded) his guns in his range bag and "check them in." Glad to see some respect for CHL (CCW) holders. We're the good guys and probably the most responsible of gun owners.
    Ianator and joker1 like this.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Most ranges I go to allow you to carry a loaded firearm in a concealed holster,but any guns you are carrying in need to be unloaded for the simple reason that the muzzle in most range bags get pointed every which way and they don't want any AD or ND's in their store,also just because somebody has a CHL doesn't mean they are safe gun handlers,at least 1/2 the class I went tru the course with had never fired a handgun and the guns they bought to carry they had never loaded etc. I guess they thought that the Instructors were gonna teach them how to shoot.One guy I personally know that has a CHL swept me with his gun,Lets just say after our little discussion he never swept anybody again
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    My indoor range doesn't generally check my weapons or ammo - I believe - because I have a membership there.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    ...also just because somebody has a CHL doesn't mean they are safe gun handlers,at least 1/2 the class I went tru the course with had never fired a handgun and the guns they bought to carry they had never loaded etc. I guess they thought that the Instructors were gonna teach them how to shoot.One guy I personally know that has a CHL swept me with his gun,Lets just say after our little discussion he never swept anybody again
    I had the same experience in my Permit to Carry class, as it was full of that type as well. Many of the attendees didn't even own a firearm.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I had the exact experience at the Bass Pro in Denham Springs La. Even though I live in and my CHL is from Texas they were good with it. Did you have to show yours? When she asked, I said yes that it was from Texas and she said ok. I didn't have to show it.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

This seems to be true. Last gun I bought, the clerk asked me if I had a permit and I said "yes," and he said, "excellent!" Really sped things along. At the gun range I frequent, however, they don't care. They pay attention to whether or not you're a regular and know the rules.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Any sign that states, "Individuals with a Concealed Weapons License Are Welcomed"...is a good sign.
    joker1 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Another reason I love Bass Pro Shops. I just wish I could afford to shop there more often!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HandgunWorld View Post
    I went to Bass Pro Shop's Shooting Range (Grapevine, TX) today with a buddy to do a little plinking.
    , the lady asked if I had a CHL, I said "yes" and she said she didn't need to inspect or check in my guns
    My friend, however does not have his CHL and of course, she had to inspect (make sure they were unloaded) his guns in his range bag and "check them in." Glad to see some respect for CHL (CCW) holders.
    We're the good guys and probably the most responsible of gun owners.
    Law abiding doesn't always equal Commonsense and safety conscious.

On a Commercial shooting range I prefer everyone be treated equally when it comes to the rules.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I would LOVE to see that sign instead of the "No Guns Allowed." If I owned any kind of business, I would Flash that sign just as big, if not bigger then my business name.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    I had the exact experience at the Bass Pro in Denham Springs La. Even though I live in and my CHL is from Texas they were good with it. Did you have to show yours? When she asked, I said yes that it was from Texas and she said ok. I didn't have to show it.
    Yes, they asked me to show it, and I gladly did.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Law abiding doesn't always equal Commonsense and safety conscious.

On a Commercial shooting range I prefer everyone be treated equally when it comes to the rules.

Check out the statistics on concealed carry holders committing crimes with guns. I think you'll find the number quite small compared to those who don't have a CCW. That's what I meant by that statement.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I don't assume anyone is safe with a gun unless I personally know them and have seen their SKILLS.
    SARR001 likes this.

Check out the statistics on concealed carry holders committing crimes with guns. I think you'll find the number quite small compared to those who don't have a CCW. That's what I meant by that statement.
    He's not talking about crimes, he's talking about common sense, or the lack thereof. The class I took here in OK provided semi-auto .22 pistols for us to fire during the shooting portion of the class. In OK you don't have to prove proficiency with a handgun, just show that you can handle it safely. To prove this point, the instructor informed us that he'd been teaching classes since the law first passed back in '96 I believe, and had only failed one student. It was because he couldn't handle a gun safely.

With that said, our targets were paper plates and there were a few folks there who could barely hit the stack of railroad ties the paper plates were tacked to. With a .22. Me and another fella were almost having a contest between the two of us who could shoot more accurately. He shot better but I shot faster. These people passed because they didn't cover anyone with the muzzle or discharge the firearm when they weren't supposed to, but do I really trust them to know the range rules and keep stored guns unloaded? Nope.

Respect for license holders as far as being law-abiding citizens, yes, I believe there should be some. But I certainly don't assume they know what they're doing. Me personally, I go over the rules with everyone I take shooting unless they've demonstrated they already know them. It could be a state trooper shooting with me for all I care, and if I didn't know him very well I'd make him run over the rules.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I went to Bass Pro Shop's Shooting Range (Grapevine, TX) today with a buddy to do a little plinking. I had never shot at their range before. When I approached the front check in area with my range bag, the lady asked if I had a CHL, I said "yes" and she said she didn't need to inspect or check in my guns ( I was also carrying my G19 fully loaded in my M-Tac holster.) My friend, however does not have his CHL and of course, she had to inspect (make sure they were unloaded) his guns in his range bag and "check them in." Glad to see some respect for CHL (CCW) holders. We're the good guys and probably the most responsible of gun owners.
    So...you are nagging your friend a little more to take that next step, right?
    Stubborn likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I guess Im kinda lucky. Range is out the back door 10 steps off the deck !
    Besides that its open 24/7 and dont have to worry about accidents or ignorence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links