Opinions on un-concealing with friends

This is a discussion on Opinions on un-concealing with friends within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a question for my Texas brethren, others can add input if you want. Hypothetical scenario that I can see happening, what are your ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on un-concealing with friends

Opinions on un-concealing with friends

This is a question for my Texas brethren, others can add input if you want.

Hypothetical scenario that I can see happening, what are your thoughts on the legality of this?

Suppose I am at the place of business of a friend, who knows I carry and is OK with it because he does too, and he asks me to show him my set up so we can discuss carry methods, etc. I have not found anything in the TX CHL laws that say this is against the law. I know if there are others around who I am not sure carry or are gun friendly then the discussion would not come up by either of us.

So what I am wondering is, if I am among trusted friends and don't have to worry about a "man with a gun" situation, would I be able to legally lift my shirt and show my set up and possibly disarm (clearing the gun) and discussing my firearm?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

If it's his place of business, I would just use his office or a conference room.
    No need to advertise...

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

I have never been in that situation but, would think twice about drawing and clearing weapon with other people in the shop. With the exception that Backnblack noted of using an backroom without customers present.

The law is the law, and it would have nothing to do with being in a business or with a friend.
    Have I ever displayed in such a matter as you speak? Yes, but there were no witnesses.
    Just be careful, as careful as you would be in any other place.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I tend to think I would lean on the law in most circumstances but in a back private room i wouldnt think you would be in a bad way.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

This is a strange question. And I think it all comes down to the question of if there are bystandards around that will see it. If there are none, then it really doesn't even matter if you have a CHL. For example, lets say I did not have a CHL. I could still take my gun out of my house, in my car, and over to my friends house or place of business and show it to him and I would not have broken the law.

But unless your friend's business is running a gun store or a shooting range, I don't think I would show it to him out in the open of a store if there was even a chance that a customer might walk in at the time. If you are in a back room, then there would be no issue.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    there is the law--hack, there are so many laws that....who knows

but im gonna go with commen sense.
    once i leave the house i do not touch it but for a need.

'interested' is a nice form of flattery.....but in its place.
    there is also that the more you handle a gun the greater the chance of something happening.
    ya right---but not to me....said the pilot who blew a hole in his control panel...
    ( and i agree that was STUPID tsa rules to be handling a loaded firearm during the busiest part of a flight--tale off & landing)
    i got side tracked.....
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

His business Right? If so, nothing to worry about. If it is not, and he just works there. The actual owner may have a problem with it.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I don't see any thing wrong with it as long as you both are quit about it. I go to the chiropractor and we have talked about concealed carry and guns. I told him that I had my license and what I carry i told him I keep it in the truck just because it would be a little hard to get adjusted with my gun on my side. He ask to see my gun so after I was done I went out and put my gun and holster on and walk back in show him my gun and set up but we went in a room with the door closed so what one else seen it. And he was cool with it. yes I did unload it before I gave it to him to see lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd definitely show my rig to folks that share my same beliefs about guns. I'd just make sure we were somewhere that was safe and out of sight of any potential unwanted eyeballs.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    I'd definitely show my rig to folks that share my same beliefs about guns. I'd just make sure we were somewhere that was safe and out of sight of any potential unwanted eyeballs.
    Yep agree don't want someone to freak out when they see a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume pretty much every square foot of most businesses are coved by cameras, and I don't need that kind of attention. If it isn't the range or a private residence, I keep it hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    I assume pretty much every square foot of most businesses are coved by cameras, and I don't need that kind of attention. If it isn't the range or a private residence, I keep it hidden.
    Most places I would agree, this place in question happens to be my Krav school and most of the students are Leo, military, or prior service. If there are ever any HS kids around we wouldn't' be discussing this topic anyway.

I am assuming since it is his place of business and he is OK with it I would be within my legal right to participate in the discussion and "show and tell". That is my main question, since I can't find anything in the TX CHL code that states this example.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

First, let me start off by saying this appease the sheep law, out of sight behind closed doors where nobody will see it and not talk about it, makes it sound like you're doing something wrong (it reminds me of sex abuse scandals at schools and churches when they hit the evening news the way it's presented in light of TX law); when you're sharing a common interest in a constitutionally protected right. Certainly doesn't make TX sound pro-gun as it's made out to be in the media.

Second, loose lip sink ships; once you tell once you show there is no untell there is no unshow there is no unlearn , whomever may see find out or now no, planned or unplanned, if you conceal for tactical advantage, you've just given that up. Someone may be friendly now, but now three or five years from now; and they'll know where and how you carry. Not saying everyone is going to turn on you, just emphasizing the need for caution, and the accompanied increased need for SA in conditions you may otherwise be willing to allow yourself to be more at ease (as when in the company of friends in a familiar place)

Ok per the title my opinions are out of the way, so here are the facts according to the DPS website found through Handgunlaws.us

DPS FAQ
    If a concealed handgun licensee is caught carrying a handgun in plain view or if his/her handgun is visible then he/she is subject to criminal charges. Specifically, he/she would be subject to prosecution for the Class A misdemeanor, Unlawfully Carrying of a Concealed Weapon by a License Holder, Sect. 46.035(a), Penal Code.
    TX Statutes at Texas Constitution and Statutes - Home
    Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
    Not sure on Subchapter H, but here is Gov code 411; GOVERNMENT CODE**CHAPTER 411. DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY OF THE STATE OF TEXAS

It would appear whenever you are carrying under the authority of your permit, then you must be concealed period. Now say you were carrying at your friends home under his permission on his private property, then you would not be carrying under the states authority but under the property owner's authority and therefore be exempt, same would be on your property in your home. That would at least be my non-lawyer non-TX-resident understanding of things; but if you plan on doing it, it may be worth a quick phone consult with an attorney first.

Glock Certified Armorer

The only problem I see with your comments is the part about being at a friend's home. Unconcealing there would still be against the law in TX. There is no provision for a property owner to give permission for others to openly carry. The property owner can openly carry, but not a visitor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links