CC saved me and my wife yesterday

This is a discussion on CC saved me and my wife yesterday within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man I am glad y'all are okay besides the bite to your calf. Another reason to always be armed. Thanks for posting....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: CC saved me and my wife yesterday

Man I am glad y'all are okay besides the bite to your calf. Another reason to always be armed. Thanks for posting.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

2. Remove Ads

Since you live in VA...I need to tell you that in VA, the law is--the dog gets ONE FREE bite. Yes--as silly as it sounds, it is true. My son was bit by our neighbors German Shepherd--nearly tore off his ear and found puncture marks on his head. This was witnessed by other kids--who stated that my son did not do anything to provoke the attack.

We contacted animal control who did a cursory "investigation" at best--only interviewed the dog's owner, not my child, nor did they take pictures (we did, fortunately--MANY pictures).

Since we are under TRICARE, they are not a "first-payer"--and went after the neighbors home owner's insurance. On top of that, we were encouraged to seek outside counsel. Our attorney explained the law in VA--because we wanted the animal destroyed.

Did this happen on the dog owner's property? or on the road/off the owner's property?

Need to get this bite documented in case there is a second bite--and someone else (like a child) who can't defend themselves is attacked. For all you may know, you are the second victim. Also need to make sure the dog is up to date on it's shots. DO NOT trust the dog owner, as he/she has something to lose.

Finally, next time--shoot the dog dead. I am also a dog owner--and would put my dog down if he did this.

Take lots of pictures of the wounds...you make think "I don't want to make a big deal out of this"--you say that now...but you might change your mind. Take the pics now; what does it hurt?

OBTW--we did reach a settlement in our favor, and my son has money in a trust to be used should he desire to seek plastic surgery to remove the scars on the side of his head (he now keeps his hair long to cover the scars). Unfortunately, the dog still lives.

ETA: Link to my OP: Neighbor's Dangerous Dog
    packinnova likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by purwater View Post
    This happened to me yesterday and a good friend and member of the forums said I should post about it. Yesterday my wife and I decided to take a walk for some exercise. We do this a few times a week and always enjoy it. A couple of houses down from me is a home where the people own a pit bull. My wife had walked alone before and said it had come out barking and even grabbed her sweats one time. That was in the early spring and since then the dog is usually inside the house or chained. Yesterday we started our walk and there came the dog running down towards us barking. I told her to just keep moving and hopefully it would leave us alone. Well about the time we passed the driveway it came out and bit me in the calf. It's a nasty feeling bite. .
    YOU NEED TO REPORT THIS TO THE POLICE!

Someone else , even a child , could be seriously injured by this animal.

Here's a link to Virginia Law on dogs................

Virginia Consolidated Dog Laws

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I ride a motorcycle and have had 2 agressive dogs charging me every time I ride past their house,large fenced yard with vehicle gate open,they keep getting closer and are charging into the roadway now,Next time I'm slowing down and giving tham a blast of pepper spray,hopefully it won,t disperse too much before they get a lesson,If this doesn't work next step is I'm calling Leo's and filing an aggressive dog report,if the dogs get brazen enough I may have to give one a lead injection,I don't fire warning shots
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'd have to agree with reporting it. As for killing it or not, that's your decision. I see nothing wrong with a shot to scare off an animal. I've done it myself, but only because I couldn't get a clear shot on the animal. It's not like they could understand you if you told them to back off or you were going to shoot them. A warning shot to an animal is about the same as a verbal warning to a person.

That being said, I would have shot it when it bit the first time. One of the reasons I carry is because of wild animals. I've had coyotes, wolves, mountain lions, etc within feet of my house.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    velco dog gun for the mordern age is the NAA Companion 22lr or magnum. i stoke mine with bullseye for easy clean up.
    would i trust it to stop a dog bigger than an ankle biter--no
    to scare one away....perhaps
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Call the police and make a report...call a lawyer and have the owner pay the medical bills.
    Next time, shoot the dog. I hate saying that as i do love canines, but how will you feel when the next victim is a child?
    The owner isn't going to be happy anyway, so you might as well have a 'paper trail'.
    9MMare likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Glad all turned out well. Won't comment on what your state laws might say about discharging firearms, but if I have to shoot, it won't be a warning shot--dog or otherwise. What makes you feel the dog won't attack you again? I hope you called LEOs, animal control, and a lawyer about the bite.
    BINGO!!!!! A buddy of mine was sued for a minor dog bite (no visable sign of a bite and they believe the neighbor made it up anyway) and the other side was awarded $10,000. Their home owner's insurance covered it, but still. If you sue, maybe they will take it seriously. Also, I would file a police and animal control complaint. Most places have a leash law and also viscious dog ordinance.

I found out a lot about it when I was attacked by 2 pitbulls in my own yard in NC 18 years ago. I filed a complaint with both the police and animal control...should have filed a civil suit against them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Moderator
    A "paper trail" is important for future reference. That dog bit you once, he will bite you again.

Having seen some horrendous wounds and two deaths caused by pit bulls, I am advocate of killing them on the spot if they even attempt to bite you. Everyone here assumes that they would be able to fight back if a pit locked on to you. A big dog that bites your leg can easily break it. If they whip their heads back and forth, then can take that leg off. With a broken leg and in much pain you will fall to the ground. Once you are on the ground, that dog will try to bite your throat for the kill because that is what they do. Dont think that you have an even chance because unless you have your gun in your hand, you might not even be able to get to it. If you are on the ground with an attacking dog, you are severly outclassed.

Shooting at it and assuming that it will run off is wishful thinking. Yeah, you might get away with it or you might not.

An attack can change your life in seconds. Even if the dog runs off, even if you shoot it and it dies, if you let it bite you it could take years to heal up. I know of one man that has a permanately disabled arm from an attack, that arm just hangs by his side useless because of nerve damage.

As for shooting in city limits, if your life is in danger and you shoot, you wont be fined or ticketed for discharging a weapon, no more than you would be if you had to shoot some gangbanger off of you, so that ought to be the least of your worries.
    BugDude, Brass63, TVJ and 2 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

We are dog lovers but no way would I allow a dog to attack me. I carry a hiking stick when I walk along with my EDC. I would have called the police and made a report and let them decide what to do from there. Thankfully you were not one of the neighborhood children.

sgb
    I'd have put a 230 gr .45 jhp in that dogs head and called the popo.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I honestly can't say exactly what I would have done in your situation. In my opinion, you and your wife are ok so you did ok. I do agree that you should file a report on the incident. If someone else has had a similar incident and filed a report, then (since you didn't kill it) you will be one step closer to getting rid of the problem.
    jarhead67 likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    ...the dog has rabies shots or needs to be impounded for two weeks
    The brain is checked for rabies, so you only need to take its head to the vet.
    MotorCityGun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I'd have put a 230 gr .45 jhp in that dogs head and called the popo.
    Being its a .45, it would have just bounced off the puppy's head.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Since you live in VA...I need to tell you that in VA, the law is--the dog gets ONE FREE bite. Yes--as silly as it sounds, it is true. My son was bit by our neighbors German Shepherd--nearly tore off his ear and found puncture marks on his head. This was witnessed by other kids--who stated that my son did not do anything to provoke the attack.

We contacted animal control who did a cursory "investigation" at best--only interviewed the dog's owner, not my child, nor did they take pictures (we did, fortunately--MANY pictures).

Since we are under TRICARE, they are not a "first-payer"--and went after the neighbors home owner's insurance. On top of that, we were encouraged to seek outside counsel. Our attorney explained the law in VA--because we wanted the animal destroyed.

Did this happen on the dog owner's property? or on the road/off the owner's property?

Need to get this bite documented in case there is a second bite--and someone else (like a child) who can't defend themselves is attacked. For all you may know, you are the second victim. Also need to make sure the dog is up to date on it's shots. DO NOT trust the dog owner, as he/she has something to lose.

Finally, next time--shoot the dog dead. I am also a dog owner--and would put my dog down if he did this.

Take lots of pictures of the wounds...you make think "I don't want to make a big deal out of this"--you say that now...but you might change your mind. Take the pics now; what does it hurt?

OBTW--we did reach a settlement in our favor, and my son has money in a trust to be used should he desire to seek plastic surgery to remove the scars on the side of his head (he now keeps his hair long to cover the scars). Unfortunately, the dog still lives.

ETA: Link to my OP: Neighbor's Dangerous Dog
    That's interesting. When I was a kid, I knew another boy who was bitten by a neighborhood dog, and I always wonder why the dog wasn't put down.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links