CC saved me and my wife yesterday - Page 3

CC saved me and my wife yesterday

This is a discussion on CC saved me and my wife yesterday within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Be that of a human or animal, an attack is a attack..period. If anything attacks me or someone close to me, I have the right ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: CC saved me and my wife yesterday

Be that of a human or animal, an attack is a attack..period. If anything attacks me or someone close to me, I have the right defend myself. The issue I have with pepper spray or even a knife.....you let them get too close before you used it and by that point it might be too late. Unless Im talking to someone I know very, very well...there is a "two arms length distance" between them and me. (this is just how I deal with it, everyone is different) Sure that might not be enough but for me its better then being only a foot or two.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    If i got bit by a pit bull, I'd have gutted it. Guns and OC are for people, knives and OC are for dogs.
    You better have a good size knife and know how to use it and plan on getting chewed on some more while your "gutting" an attacking pit bull.

I'll keep my OC, cane and gun thank you very much.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Being its a .45, it would have just bounced off the puppy's head.
    Anything is possible when you see pigs flying.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I have seen nothing that says you have sought medical attention. If you haven't, please do. I speak from sad experience. I was bitten slightly, on the hand, by a cat one day, and thought nothing of it. I washed the wound, put on some hydrogen peroxide, and gave it no more thought. The next day my wife noticed a 3" red stripe that went all the way up my arm to my armpit, and decided I needed to go to the hospital. Three days later they discharged me from the hospital. I don't care what you did or didn't do to the dog (I would have shot it), but GET YOURSELF CARED FOR.

That said, I agree with most of the others about reporting the incident and getting an attorney, even if it's just to defend yourself against gun charges.

Good luck, and let us know how you fare.
    SGT likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I have had to dispatch a few dogs. Two of them Pits. The comment about the .45 bouncing off the head is not far from reality. Dogs are hard to kill. Head shot is no sure thing. The thing with Dogs is they are usually attacking you, and make a carefully aimed shot almost impossible. IMO A knife would be a viable idea... If the dog is attacking you he's in contact and vulnerable to the knife. Or a contact shot under the back of it's chin, or maybe a contact shot in the pit of a fore-leg.

Anyway I'm glad the O/P made it out ok... I dont know that I'd be so quaint and forgiving with the owner or the dog.

Spuk!

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    How about carrying an extra-large canister of OC spray? Besides this, I've got to ask (not that it hasn't be asked already): why didn't you call the police to report this dangerous animal attack? or go to the hospital to have the bite checked out? I am, of course, assuming that neither had been done based on your description of what seemed like a less-than-tense word with your neighbor.

My recent pit bull run-in: I was out in my back yard with my two Labs (on cables) yesterday & was about to let one of them in when I hear a dog fight happening on the other side of the house. I ran (with my dog right behind) around the house to find the across-the-street neighbor's 35lb female pitbull just breaking off the tussle with my other lab, & I also see one of her 3-month-old pups (who decided to follow mama) just coming into the yard.

The OC spray was in my hand with the nozzle lock disengaged by the time I got there. My dog & the pitbull had separated to about 10 feet apart by this time with both my dogs at the end of their cables, so I stepped between them ready to engage mama when the pup jogs over & towards my dogs. Mama was keeping her distance & the pup was intent on coming closer, so I grabbed up the pup while still holding the OC defensively. I started side-stepping towards the street with her pup & made sure she followed...but not too closely. The neighbor was just jogging out from the back of his house & I met him mid-street. He apologized for the situation as I handed the pup to him. - Note to self: that's his only screw-up with that dog -

I've owned dogs at various points throughout my life & been with them at dog parks & other dog-social events, so I was confident that what I had seen was a pissy, bored mother getting out of hand. Plus, my Labs are both yellow, & not seeing any immediate blood allowed me a little breathing room to further assess the situation at hand. As for the pup, it was headed towards a possible butt-kicking, so I had to intervene with the notion of using it defensively (15lb shotput, anyone?) against mama if need be. Had mama been jaw-locked on my dog, I would have covered her head with the ballistic OC spray until she let go, & continued spraying until she was deterred from further attack or ran away. If the OC didn't work initially, I would have risked injury by engaging her with my foot & if necessary, put bullets into her until she was dead.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I agree with Spuk. I think that "in contact", a blade is a viable option, also more appealing in a residential neighborhood than gunfire.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I have had to dispatch a few dogs. Two of them Pits. The comment about the .45 bouncing off the head is not far from reality. Dogs are hard to kill. Head shot is no sure thing. The thing with Dogs is they are usually attacking you, and make a carefully aimed shot almost impossible. IMO A knife would be a viable idea... If the dog is attacking you he's in contact and vulnerable to the knife. Or a contact shot under the back of it's chin, or maybe a contact shot in the pit of a fore-leg.

Anyway I'm glad the O/P made it out ok... I dont know that I'd be so quaint and forgiving with the owner or the dog.

Spuk!
    In 30 odds years I've had to dispatch two dogs in the act of attacking me, in Michigan one on, one off duty. One 80ish lb German Shepard and one 70ish lb chow, both only required a single .45acp to the head to end them. YMMV
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I guess my problem is this.......

If an 8 year old child walks by that house, a child could be killed by this dog.
    (It happens every day by owners who buy a pit bull and havent a clue on how to train or properly restrain it)

It has a history, the OWNER needs to put it down.

In my humble opinion, I would speak with the owner and tell them that if they put the dog down you will not sue.

You may be saving a life in the future.

My daughter was attacked unprovoked and has a scar on her arm from a deep punture wound that came about from an untrained dog.

The family was very good friends that live on the other side of Dallas. We arent friends any more, because I told them that I would be the star witness for the prosecution if a dog bite happened again. Texas must have a one bite rule as well, because the police were called and the dog lives. (quaranteened 10 days)

I hade quite a bit of anger over that. What frustrated me is the parents are getting ready to have a baby. I fear it is going to be a disaster.

Im not that type of guy, but a HUGE chocolate bar was going to be delivered.......

I love my German Shephard, but if it bit a child unprovoked..... it would be GONE
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

It's seriously sad that pit bulls get such a bad repetition because of trash for owners treating them like sh$& and they turn bad. It's just like a human in the sense that if they get pushed and pushed and pushed they eventually snap and become dangerous. I am glad to hear that your ok bit you need to seriously call animal control and the cops and next time do the world a favor and kill the dog.
    younggun and AZDaven like this.

Pit bull or poodle does not matter to me. Sure, the breed of pit bull has a horrible, horrible reputation behind it. Not because they are born killers, but because people make them this way. Think about it; they have the perfect build, short, muscular, and fast.

I don't know that I could have shot the dog unless I felt it was definetly trying to take my life or a loved ones, then no question yes. But, I think I would have done the same as you. Maybe calling the cops after the round was fired would have been best, but overall I'm happy for you that it worked out in your favor.
    AZDaven likes this.
    CCW- Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I was simultaneously attacked by 2 pitbulls a week before I got married (now 18+ years ago) while sweeping the sidewalk of the home we were going to be moving into. The neighbors dogs were loose and came around the corner in an all out tear. They cornered me in a stairwell with nothing but a broom. My hands were chewed up and covered with blood when the guy came out and called them off. I went in and grabbed my revolver when he knocked on my door. He stepped in and was apologizing when he saw what I had in my hand. Then he started screaming and cussing me in my house saying I better not shoot his dogs or he was going to yada, yada, yada me. I raised the revolver and said, "The dogs enter my yard again and they're toast. Now get out or you're next." I then called the police. Then called animal control. I also went to town council. The only thing that happened was they told the dog owner to keep them on a leash at all times. I should have gotten a lawyer and filed a civil suite. That is also when I started OC in NC. Revolver in a shoulder rig at all times outside my own home mowing, taking out the trash, etc. I got so mad at the town for doing nothing I moved to the neighboring town. As a kid, I was bit in the face by a bull dog of a buddy. Both of these situations the people said the dogs were good and had never done anything like that before. Well, it only takes once. I guess I have somewhat of a distrust of dogs from these instances.

I love animals, but not so much dogs. Its really the irresponsible owners more than the animals themselves. Based on my experiences, if a dog tries to attack me or my kids...too bad for the dog. I'm personally more of a cat person...I've never heard of a kid being malled to death by a housecat.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I consider oc an off hand tool, which leaves the dominant hand free for firearm. Worst case, just drop the oc when going to a firearm.
    Thanks, I need to practice that.

The times I had to use the spray, the dog attacked anyway and I had to use my off hand to pull my dog out and shove my spray hand down in front of the other dog for another dose, it did put me at risk to do so. I've never (2 times) had it work immediately.

(This was awhile ago tho, the sprays today may be more effective)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I'm likely not going to shoot the dog, but if it really chomped hard into my calf..... he'll be gumming his food in the future.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Not to pick on pit bulls, but it has not been just a freak occurrence that the very first attack ends up being a fatal attack for the victim. It has happened with other breeds as well, including rotts and others, but the preponderance of events where a first attack being a lethal attack comes from pit bulls. Judge Joe Brown puts the stats up on the big screen every time he has a case involving pit bulls.

As far as the attack being a non-fatal attack, pit bulls have a notorious reputation for inflicting an exorbitant amount of trauma including permanent nerve damage and severe cosmetic scars.

And again, not to merely pick on pit bulls, the same can be said for any large dog. But there are a significant number of cases with pits and rotts that many communities ban the breed outright. Including dobermans, danes, mastiff's and others.

My town has a ban on pit bulls, american bull terriers, staffordshire and any mixed breed having any genetic linkage to those breeds. We also have a leash law. However, both laws are sporadically enforced to say the least, and we have a large pit bull population in town.

Regardless of dog breed, the laws of lethal force apply equally to man or beast, and part of that law includes serious bodily, or crippling injury. And any attack from one of the large breeds, be it shepard, pit, rott, mastiff, whatever, I can expect at the very least a serious, if not permanent injury which warrants the use of lethal force.

Now, regards to this post and the poster's situation, but putting the scenario in my town, where I live, I would try to use OC spray if feasible if the dog was running at me. I carry OC spray when I am out walking about 80% of the time and being a dog lover and dog owner, I would try that first. But once I am bit, especially by a pit, rott, doberman, or any of the large breeds I have prior first hand knowledge of knowing their capability, I can say that dog is getting shot. Repeatedly, if need be. And while I carry OC spray about 80% of the time, I carry my gun 100% of the time.

I may go to the gun before it bites me, if I feel that is what's warranted, but once the dog bites me and draws blood, it's getting shot. And I have all the physical evidence I need to satisfy the sheriff and prosecutor.

I have already had discussions with the sheriff as we had an unleashed pit bull living next door which came up and tried to get in a fight with my leashed basset hound. I discussed this with the sheriff as I was concerned if I shot a dog attacking me, or my wife, I did not want to jeopardize my CCW permit. He assured me, at the very worst, discharging a firearm in the city limits is no more than a $50 ordinance fine and would not jeopardize my CCW permit. I spent 10 years as a medic on his swat team and am personal friends with him, so he knows my history, my level of maturity and my level of responsibility and experience with weapons of all types.

So, if a pit bull, or any other dangerous animal attacks me, and bites me, it's getting shot, the police will be notified, and the owner will be held accountable for the dogs actions.

In this case, the original poster neglected to think about the safety of the general public by not calling the police. While he got bit and he pretty much shrugged it off, what would have happened if the victim had been a young child on a bicycle. Or just a couple of kids walking down the street. Would they have been able to fend off the dog? Would their actions and fear after being bit have encouraged the dog to continue the attack. Would the attack been a fatal attack?

At the very least, I think you should make a police report. Regardless of whether you fired your gun or not. I would also ensure the owner of the dog paid for any medical bills you had. I will tell you, as far as being a medical professional goes, it's required by law for any licensed healthcare provider to report any animal bites to police, for the safety of general public. It is required by law in order to ensure rabies does not get spread.

Also, for future reference, I would avoid the warning shots. Too much liability surrounding warning shots for any reason.

I will also say, for the record, I have encountered thousands of strange dogs on the job. I go into peoples homes all the time, intruding on the dogs home turf and not once have I been bitten by a dog or felt sufficiently threatened to the point where I would want to shoot one. However, I have seen and dealt with quite a few serious dog bite including some I would considered being mauled and have left permanent injuries.

I also agree that not all dog bites warrants killing the dog after the fact. But as far as me being on the street minding my own business and a stranger's pit bull or a rott or a shepard comes charging me, and snarling acting like he wants to eat me, and not just greet me, I'm defending myself, and I'm not pussyfooting around.
    jarhead67 and Brass63 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links