CC saved me and my wife yesterday

This is a discussion on CC saved me and my wife yesterday within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sgb In 30 odds years I've had to dispatch two dogs in the act of attacking me, in Michigan one on, one ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: CC saved me and my wife yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    In 30 odds years I've had to dispatch two dogs in the act of attacking me, in Michigan one on, one off duty. One 80ish lb German Shepard and one 70ish lb chow, both only required a single .45acp to the head to end them. YMMV
    I'm curious, if you don't mind my asking. Did the round penetrate the entire animal (through-and-through)? Did it just penetrate the skull? Or penetrate the skull and got lost somewhere in the body?

Just curious.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

2. Remove Ads

Sure is a lot of "Monday morning quarterbacks" here, but that is what we get when we post here. My thoughts:

I love dogs too, I have a beagle/boxer mix that is a HUGE love in my life, but if I had a pit (OR ANY BREED DOWN TO A TINY DOG) attacking me, I am going to shoot it, could have any number of diseases and could bite an artery, if that happens, it's lights out forever real quick. 2) yeah, the owner said he would keep him locked up, I wonder how many other people the dog has bitten he has said that to? REPORT HIM! NEVER trust anyone for anything. Dog's primarily will bite once and get the taste for flesh and bite many more times. 3) I'm glad people aren't picking on the breed. If it has teeth it can bite, pit's have a bad reputation and I know many a pit that are gentile dogs, they were originally bred for guarding babies. 4) if you haven't gone for medical attention, go now, but they can't stitch you up, it's too late, it will be an open wound.and 5) take pictures, and document EVERYTHING including what the owner said, date and time, "if it isn't written down, it didn't happen" 6) I've heard pepper spray and other sprays are un-effective against dogs. AT the least I would carry an as or bat when I walked, if I didn't want to shoot a dog, that dog's NOT going to bite me, even once and finally, I'm glad you were not hurt any worse than you were. Hope you took some advice from many given here and did not just let it go so the dog can bite a child next time.
    Mattmann likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    1. Police report. I don't know about your state, but in my state it is a crime to leave a dog with known vicious propensities improperly confined, and if it attacked you, it'd probably be put down and the owner cited.
    2. Police report. I don't know about your state, but in my state discharging a firearm within city limits is also against local ordinances and would require a police report.
    3. Vet. Either you need rabies shots, or you need to see the immunization record of that dog.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I'm not going to knock what you did, you saved yourself from an attack. Me personally though, I'd have killed me a dog that day. Then I'd have filed a police report and a lawsuit regarding the bite. I'd have that dog impounded and tested for rabies, and the owner would be paying whatever my costs were for stitches, antibiotics etc.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Sorry for the lack of update since my OP. Internet issues. I did take the advice of many and saw my doctor and the dog has had its shots. Animal control will investigate. Not sure what will come of that. My doc said all looks well and the first aid my wife did seemed to be appropriate. She prescribed some antibiotics and said to keep it clean and covered for a few more days. No stitches as it's best to let it drain any infection according to the doc. No signs of that so far. I was lucky and in hindsight it probably would have been better in the long run if I had shot the dog, but things happened in a split second and all I was thinking was just getting away safely and keeping my wife behind me as we tried to get away. I'll definitely get some of the dog pepper spray for our walking trips.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

I'd tell you to call the police and a lawyer but it is obvious that you have already gotten tons of responses to that effect.

My personal rule is, no warning shots, ever. If the situation calls for the discharging of the firearm, then it is of a level that requires deadly force be used. If you were able to stop the threat without shooting the dog/bad guy, then you didn't need to shoot the gun at all. Besides, there are many legal and civil liabilities that go along with warning shots that I do now want any part of.
    redrick likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I've been bit twice, on different occasions, while mountain biking. Both times the owners apologized and took control of their dogs. Both times the bites were minor. While I was angry, I never threatened the dog owners nor presented my weapon. The dog owners never knew that I was armed. If I ever need to draw my weapon in dog attack, there will be no warning shot. That dog will be dead and the owner will be held accountable, criminally and civilly. Funny, whenever I carry, I feel great confidence, and can and do walk away from any potentially dangerous situation.

Great post! This is the way life happens. I've never had to draw my weapon but if attacked once, my wife is with me and the dog returns to attack again I'll kill him. We have 2 dogs we love but are responsibile for them and they are wonderful.

I'd shoot that dog dead and call the police myself and then an ambulance. Later I'd talk to a lawyer.
    Bark'n likes this.

That happened to me in Florida. Be for the Dog got to close I blasted him with Pepper Spray. Dog Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I ride a motorcycle and have had 2 agressive dogs charging me every time I ride past their house,large fenced yard with vehicle gate open,they keep getting closer and are charging into the roadway now,Next time I'm slowing down and giving tham a blast of pepper spray,hopefully it won,t disperse too much before they get a lesson,If this doesn't work next step is I'm calling Leo's and filing an aggressive dog report,if the dogs get brazen enough I may have to give one a lead injection,I don't fire warning shots
    You may know this trick but if they are running at you, slow down. When they get very close (use your judgement) accelerate hard. It throws the dog's timing off.

FYI,
    Most of the so called "pitbull" attacks are actualy not true pit bulls. They are mixed mutts that have pit in them that get called that for the "OHH" factor. Think about it, if I said " a lab attacked a man today" it wouldn't get the attention that " a PITBULL attacked someone today" gets. This is also why you don't hear about any other dog attacks. There are several other breeds that attack more then pits do. I do agree that they have a tendacy to attack when they are trained to attack and not watched very well though.

40 years ago, while returning home from work in AZ, I saw that a neighbor's 3 dogs had trapped a little girl on the hood of a car down the street and were close to jumping on the hood after her. Not stopping to think, I ran toward them, grabbing a ball bat someone had left outside and managed to scare them off the girl without having to hit any of them. I told the dogs' owner the ball bat was for him if it happened again - it never did. Nowadays, he would probably sue me for inflicting mental distress on him and his dogs, so nowadays, I'd shoot the dogs first and repeat the critical phrase: "I feared for her life and mine".

Sounds like you did the right thing. I think I would have been tempted to shoot it, but it is a pretty small target and they are very fast. It would suck to have to wait until it got really close to shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by AZDaven View Post
    Sure is a lot of "Monday morning quarterbacks" here, but that is what we get when we post here. My thoughts:

I love dogs too, I have a beagle/boxer mix that is a HUGE love in my life, but if I had a pit (OR ANY BREED DOWN TO A TINY DOG) attacking me, I am going to shoot it, could have any number of diseases and could bite an artery, if that happens, it's lights out forever real quick. 2) yeah, the owner said he would keep him locked up, I wonder how many other people the dog has bitten he has said that to? REPORT HIM! NEVER trust anyone for anything. Dog's primarily will bite once and get the taste for flesh and bite many more times. 3) I'm glad people aren't picking on the breed. If it has teeth it can bite, pit's have a bad reputation and I know many a pit that are gentile dogs, they were originally bred for guarding babies. 4) if you haven't gone for medical attention, go now, but they can't stitch you up, it's too late, it will be an open wound.and 5) take pictures, and document EVERYTHING including what the owner said, date and time, "if it isn't written down, it didn't happen" 6) I've heard pepper spray and other sprays are un-effective against dogs. AT the least I would carry an as or bat when I walked, if I didn't want to shoot a dog, that dog's NOT going to bite me, even once and finally, I'm glad you were not hurt any worse than you were. Hope you took some advice from many given here and did not just let it go so the dog can bite a child next time.
    I could have swore that the "pit" in pitbull came from pit fighting. Pitbull is not a "breed" but rather a generic name for various bulldog type mutts. American Stafforshires and etc. are breeds and should not be considered pitbulls.

Almost 40 years ago a group of us doing church work moved into a house in bush Alaska. House came with a dog, some kind of pit mix. Could be very friendly, but had to be fed with a heavy glove ... hmm. Then started to hide under the house and jump out to startle passersby. Everyone tried to train him, being young and naive. Then once, just once, took after a child in a serious way. We immediately had the local law take him away to be put down. About 3 weeks later, there he was under the house again ... apparently was very friendly around the police station, they let him go? Or he worked his way out somehow, smart animal. Very dog-loving young woman and I gave him a good meal, took him on a chain for a walk on the tundra. With my 12 gauge. One of us didn't come back.

The way people ought to be ... (I suppose not worth opening that question...). But really...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links