CC saved me and my wife yesterday

This is a discussion on CC saved me and my wife yesterday within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened to me yesterday and a good friend and member of the forums said I should post about it. Yesterday my wife and I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: CC saved me and my wife yesterday

CC saved me and my wife yesterday

This happened to me yesterday and a good friend and member of the forums said I should post about it. Yesterday my wife and I decided to take a walk for some exercise. We do this a few times a week and always enjoy it. A couple of houses down from me is a home where the people own a pit bull. My wife had walked alone before and said it had come out barking and even grabbed her sweats one time. That was in the early spring and since then the dog is usually inside the house or chained. Yesterday we started our walk and there came the dog running down towards us barking. I told her to just keep moving and hopefully it would leave us alone. Well about the time we passed the driveway it came out and bit me in the calf. It's a nasty feeling bite. I kept her behind me as we tried to make our way back home. The pit bull decided he wasn't done and by then I had my LCP in my hand without thinking. It came at us again and I shot into the hillside and that scared him enough to make him run away. I didn't want to have to kill the dog, but I was ready to if it hadn't ran away. I did go talk to the owner and he said he wouldn't let it out anymore without it being on a chain. We'll see how that goes. I definitely know that had I not been armed it may have been a very bad situation with major injury or worse possible. We always worry about bad guys, but this was definitely a scary situation that had me shaking when we got home. My wife was upset as well. I may have handled it differently, but at least no one was hurt in a major way and CC suddenly went from theoretical to real life need in a hurry. Just thought I'd share the story of how it became real in a heartbeat.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Glad all turned out well. Won't comment on what your state laws might say about discharging firearms, but if I have to shoot, it won't be a warning shot--dog or otherwise. What makes you feel the dog won't attack you again? I hope you called LEOs, animal control, and a lawyer about the bite.
    atctimmy, bps3040, Bark'n and 3 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    If I had already been bit by the dog, I would have shot him. I would not have pulled my gun at all in VA if I didn't feel like my life was endanger and if my life is endanger I don't fire to scare away a threat.

I wouldn't blame you for not calling the police and animal control, you could be in more trouble than the dogs owner.

Sounds like you need to carry pepper spray when you walk.
    9MMare and surefire7 like this.

Call the police, call animal control, and call an attorney! The owner obviously is clueless, since the animal has been loose more than once. What if it had been a child that the dog attacked??? Some people do not deserve to have animals if they do not know how to treat and how to control them. Report the incident to the proper authorities immediately! You may just save a childs life! Just my .02.
    9MMare, msgt/ret, MadMac and 5 others like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I have to agree, that dog is going to seriously injure or even kill someone. You need to contact the law and animal control.
    SGT likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    police report for a dog bite--fast before he removes it from his location and than you will have to get the painful rabis vaccine
    and the dog has rabies shots or needs to be impounded for two weeks
    and police report for the gun shot...not fun about that.

and your medical costs-emergency, stitches and follow up visit...puncture wounds get deep infected.

there is nothing simple about this

and if there is a next time, coming from a long line of dog lovers---shot the dog 1st thing.

and change that shot into hillside to 'missed him by that much....chief.'
    garyacman and bigdog44 like this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I am glad you guys are both OK, other than the bite. If the bite broke skin I would seek medical attention. A bite can introduce all sorts of nasty stuff into your body. Some of it from the dogs mouth, some on the outside of our skin. Of course I am sure they will be legally required to report a bite to LE or AC.

I also think it would be a good idea to make a police report anytime you discharge your weapon in SD. This protects you. If the dog owner calls the police and says " some crazy guy was walking down the street shooting his gun." or waiting a few weeks for the bite to heal and calls the police and says you just threatened him with a gun. The LE shows up.....sure enough you have a gun. How did the victim know you had a gun if you didn't threaten him with it?

Good luck.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I agree re carrying pepper spray.
    When you talked to the owner, did confirm that the dog is up on his shots via tags and paperwork?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Dog lover that I am, pepper spray has not worked immediately when I've used it (twice) on dogs. I think that adreneline or similar keeps them going, at least for a little bit, so it depends on circumstances and dog (what I would use).

Problem is, am I going to be juggling both? If it's a dog with the size/potential to kill my dogs, me, horse....and it's coming at us full speed and intent? If no owner or they cant stop it, it would be my gun. And yeah, there would probably be legal consequences to pay....I'm putting all the moral conseuences on the owner tho (not that that means much).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I consider oc an off hand tool, which leaves the dominant hand free for firearm. Worst case, just drop the oc when going to a firearm.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

OP, I think you did fine. Glad the warning shot scared the dog away. And while I would have filed a report and gotten the dog quarantined for 10 days, I am glad you didn't get a lawyer. These days everyone wants to sue for anything, it is sad and disgusting.
    GunKeen and jarhead67 like this.

Senior Moderator
    If you fire a warning shot, do it BEFORE the dog bites you, not after.

Getting bit by a pit bull is cause for instant death on dog. Having dealt with pit bulls and bitten victims, I'd say you got lucky...very lucky.
    wraymusicman and limatunes like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    If i got bit by a pit bull, I'd have gutted it. Guns and OC are for people, knives and OC are for dogs.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    I would have shot the dog as soon as he attacked the second time. He's already shown he has the inclination to be vicious.
    Shooting into the ground in an attempt to scare the dog is a very risky act, especially if you live in a residential area, not to mention discharging a weapon in most towns is illegal.

I would have also called the police and filed a report with them on the dog attack, bite and the weapon discharge. Start the paper trail in case something happens in the future.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I am a total dog lover. I get along easily with almost any dog.

But if a vicious dog bit me, then ran off, and then came back for another attack - well, that's a no-brainer - I would shoot to kill. As others have stated, a dog like the one you describe may eventually hurt (or kill) someone.
    Mr B likes this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links