Theme Parks

This is a discussion on Theme Parks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet .....You say your Tweetsie trip was uneventful. You sound disappointed something didn't happen to make it "eventful." Nope...I hope all of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Theme Parks

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    .....You say your Tweetsie trip was uneventful. You sound disappointed something didn't happen to make it "eventful."
    Nope...I hope all of my days are uneventful. The older I get the more I like boring and uneventful.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Mr. BugDude, which entrance did you use to get in the NC or the SC entrance? I believe they have entrances from both states and have heard first hand reports of different treatment depending on which you use.

This is a curiosity question on my part. Was also informed by the Carowinds security that if something does happen in the park that requires law enforcement participation that it depends where in the park as to who they call, either NC or SC LE.
    We entered through the main front gate, which is split NC to right and SC to left. They have arranged the row of walk through metal detectors over to the right (NC side) that you have to enter before you get to the actual entry gates. Given as much time as I spend in NC with our families, I was aware of the no firearms in a place that charges admission law so I accept that as just part of the deal of taking the family to a place like that. The no OC spray was just irritating. I'm sure someone sells OC spray in an all plastic container...just have to look.

I also agree with the issue of such a large and concentrated crowd that utilizing it in such a setting would be unlikely. I also got soaked within my first 10 minutes of being there on a water ride.

I just wonder if you have carried a firearm to the gate if security would have checked it for you and returned it when you left??? That would have made the long walk through the parking lot safer. I should have asked the security guy just out of curiosity.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

"Is that pepper spray?"

"Nope, it's my gluten free chili seasoning."

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    "Is that pepper spray?"

"Nope, it's my gluten free chili seasoning."
    I thought about it for a few seconds before I answered because all of the wording was worn off where I'd carried it without the little plastic case for a while. I thought about saying it was some type of medicated inhaler or sunscreen, but then I figured she'd make me spray some in my mouth or on my arm. After thinking about it a second or two I just said "Yep" and figured what the heck. I actually should have just left it in my pocket when I entered as I don't think it would have set it off anyway. I have 7 titaniumn screws holding my lower jaw together as well as a metal wire behind my lower teeth and they never set any of them off. I've had a lot of questions about them when I've had xrays taken but never a metal detector. Oh well. Live and learn. There's a market for a small all plastic OC spray unit.

My son has been clamoring for another trip to Busch Gardens VA this summer. While I would want to have access to my EDC at least on the drive down, I don't really want to leave it in the car - security issue, you know. I'm just going to have to come up with an alternative, I guess.

Just spent a couple of hours at Kings Dominion (VA)....I hate crowds...fortunately it wasn't bad after 4pm, and the kids have been wanting to go since we got here (CONUS), so I sucked it up..locked the EDC and knife in the car. Then noticed that all of downtown Richmond was at the park today. Wow. The dregs of humanity and their brood....rude, crude language...by "adults" and their "children"...folks looking to be offended and wanting to correct the other party in a physical manner. I felt safer in Afghanistan.

We left--got refunded...it was a liitle reminder why I've become anti-social except when around family, close friends, and my fellow Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines (active/former/retired)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Take a cable lock and lock it to your seat frame under your seat. Unload and lock the slide open and run the able trough the grip and slide and around the seat frame and take the key with you. Also try a bicycle lock with a combination if your kids happen to already have one handy. I picked up a nice bike lock on clearance at my local hardware store for a couple bucks and use it to lock my shotgun to my bed frame.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Just spent a couple of hours at Kings Dominion (VA)....I hate crowds...fortunately it wasn't bad after 4pm, and the kids have been wanting to go since we got here (CONUS), so I sucked it up..locked the EDC and knife in the car. Then noticed that all of downtown Richmond was at the park today. Wow. The dregs of humanity and their brood....rude, crude language...by "adults" and their "children"...folks looking to be offended and wanting to correct the other party in a physical manner. I felt safer in Afghanistan.

We left--got refunded...it was a liitle reminder why I've become anti-social except when around family, close friends, and my fellow Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines (active/former/retired)
    I have to say that Carowinds wasn't overly crowded Saturday (not like I recall as a kid), and everyone seemed well mannered. Didn't see any jerks the entire day, which is unusual if you watch people around you most anywhere you go. We were there with a group, 5 adults and 5 girls in the 8-10 range. I walked slightly behind the group kind of keeping my eye on everything and my head on a swivel. Never saw anything remotely out of the way. The older I get, the more I hate crowds and tourist trap kind of places. Gotta do that stuff though, just like my parents did for me.

On CCW at Silver Dollar City in Branson, the MO statute prohibits carry in theme parks, but.....

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    You sparked my curosity so I did a search for covert OC spray, one of the first hits was selfdefenseproducts.com they have a pink magnum pen for $7.50 they also had a black pen but I don't think it was magnum.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

When I have to go where I can't carry I use a tactical pen (right now an Embassy Pen from countycomm dot com) and a flashlight. Either a strobe light from Solarforce or a smaler L1 from Surefire. I have been known to pack a "Sharkie" from Cold Steel.

As for covert OC spray, how about a Guardian Angel from Kimber? I'll bet one could be stuck in a camera case among tourist equipment pretty easy. Get a little belt case that has a camera company logo sewn to it maybe?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    We have gone to Disney in Orlando twice in the last year, both times I had to leave my EDC back home in VA. But hanging out on one of the Disney boards for a while, I found some threads about security. They have their own security personal complete with bomb sniffing dogs for that occasional "suspicious bag". they even had pictures to prove it. I'm not saying all parks are like this, but it is in their best "business" interest to keep the place safe. I don't like being completely unarmed, but like others have said, the SA goes up a notch or two, especially when there are extra kids in our group. Go armed when you can, and be extra careful when you can't. But still enjoy life above all.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

TVJ
    Knife training and Cold Steel plastic knives taped are practical. Nice catch on those CS plastics. I intend to purchase.

A big metal Rocker/Cowboy belt buckle blends well with other metal behind it.

H2H training is practical to either fight for space to access tools or to defend when unarmed. I notice I get a Two fer One on H2H FoF.

On the one hand, I respect others rules for no tools on their property.

However, I also read what happened to the guy. Where was security? When seconds count, minutes away.....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    There are a lot of people and they are pretty safe, but not completely. A few years ago, a bunch of gang bangers started harassing a guy's 13 yr old daughter. When he took offense, they came back with some friends and stomped the crap out of him right outside the gate to Valleyfair amusement park.
    Link HERE:

Eight young men are accused of taking turns stomping on and kicking the head of the 41-year-old man, who was knocked unconscious as his wife and three daughters tried to help him. The couple was nearing the exit gate with their three daughters at about midnight on July 4, when two young men approached and slapped the youngest girl, about 12, on her buttocks. Her father yelled at the men, one of whom pulled out a cell phone and called for others to join in on the assault. The wife said she and her daughters tried to protect her husband, and are still recovering from being punched. He said the father was taken to Ridges Hospital in Burnsville for a fractured eye socket bone and other injuries. His office was told Monday that doctors were waiting for the man's swelling to subside before checking for permanent injuries, which could justify more serious charges.
    That Craziness happened. WT* when I read that?! Sexual battery of a 12yr old in public in broad nightlight in front of an entire family? Then beat the women and children.

I realize how isolated these incidents are compared to all the days where nothing happens at amusement parks, concerts, etc.

I also realize that this very low probability event had a terribly high cost. SA and hope for the best, plan, prep, tool(s), and tactics for the bad.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    I guess to me, if they have the metal detectors and I can be assured that no one has any firearms or knives or whatnot, then I am comfortable disarming. (I feel best if they are willing to store the firearm there) If it's a level playing field, the worst we have is an unarmed encounter and I feel pretty confident in my abilities there. So as long as they have detectors in place, I am game to disarm.
    I feel the same as you when getting on an airplane. However, I'm not sure I feel so safe in the theme park. Sure, your average thug isn't likely to be in there with a weapon, but somebody planning something more serious might be. Take Six Flags over Texas. I used to work there when I was a teenager. It may be different today, but back then anyone could get in for free and by bypassing the security if they just knew where the employee parking and entrance was. Sure, sometimes they had a guard there who rarely paid any attention. At most they'd ask to see a badge which was very easy to fake without any special equipment, especially being they would never examine it up close, just a quick flash from 6 feet away. Unless they've changed it, I could walk in there with an entire arsenal. On an airplane, however, it is considerably more difficult.

I avoid theme parks like I avoid doctors, and the mall. Good reasons why, and quite possibly I never have any fun. If I had children, I might realize the dilemma more than I do. One of those things I guess. Rather take them fishing or camping in the outback...into the real world of bugs and roughing it. Sometimes I think our next generation would be better off knowing nature and having fun doing it. Less torture on the wallet, and enforces some of the basics. Even if I had kids, theme parks would be off the menu for good reasons. Money would be better spent at one of the local parks, and supporting them. I've always believed I was paying tax dollars for a good reason. My tax dollars don't support theme parks. Just me.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Wasn't it last year that there was a shooting in the Busch Gardens parking lot?
    Park might be safe. Not so sure about the parking lots.
    Busch Gardens is not in the BEST part of Tampa.
    That may be true of many of these places.
    It's sure not as bad as the old Orange Bowl was...now that was an adventure!
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links