Theme Parks

This is a discussion on Theme Parks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seems like my wife has planned theme park trips for us lately and they are all in North Carolina. Granted we grew up in NC, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Theme Parks

Theme Parks

Seems like my wife has planned theme park trips for us lately and they are all in North Carolina. Granted we grew up in NC, so these are places we went to as kids and I guess she wants to take our kids to these places too. Problem is in NC, you can't carry in a place that charges admission.

Several weeks ago, it was Tweetsie Railroad, so I secured my firearm in the car and just carried my OC spray. It was uneventful.

This weekend, it was Carowinds. Again, locked it in the car but I got a surprise at the gate. Metal detectors (those are new since I was a kid). When I emptied my pockets to go through, she asked, "Is that pepper spray?" and I replied "Yep." She informed me that it was not allowed in the park, placed it in a ziplock bag and handed me a ticket with a number on it and said I could pick it up at the security window when I left.

It really wasn't a big deal, 15 extre steps when I left and I did get it back, but still. No pepper spray in the park? I absolutely despise going to these sorts of places anyway, and the fact that I am limited as to the means available to protect my family while I am there just adds to my disliking. Oh well, that's the way it goes I guess.

It has made me think about getting an OC spray that looks like an ink pen or maybe a rescue inhaler. I've seen something like that before. Any thoughts on OC spray containers that don't look like OC spray? Just for clarification, my intent would not be to break any laws, just to carry in places in which it is legal but may have an internal policy. Thanks.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Not entirely by choice, I got dragged to Busch Gardens in Fla. last weekend. While I was there, I spent some time thinking about EDC tools in the park. There was no friskery at the gate, so I could have brought anything in.

Glad I didn't. Between the crowds and rides, the fewer things to keep track of the better. Probably one of the safest places you can be. Not like a WalMart parking lot.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Darien lake in NY near buffalo is the same way. You cant have the slightest thing to protect yourself. I worked there for 4 years back in the early 2000s and it was just after the fall of 9/11 they put in the detectors. Needless to say, at the time i needed the job and it was security at the time. After I left in 03, I have not returned there. The feeling of not having a single thing to protect yourself it dangerous as we know, and even after all the arguments I had with my management, they stood strong on the issue.
    Anytime I find a place that wont even let the slightest protection, I just turn away and take my business elsewhere....oh and speak with their HR to let them know that myself and many of my friends will not give them our money. Unless everyone did this, I know they will still make money, and it turn wont care.
    These "weapons Free" zones are gonna create more deaths that could of been prevented, but I guess that is what those Zones want, huh?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    BDude--having raised me offsprung and gone places up & down th e east coast.....many traveling with an assortment of duel purpose items; pens that do more than write, belt buckles that....well you are with crowds (more so than to my liking) and their security tends to be vg to excellent.watch and you will pick up on those whose job it is to be looking: and they often did not like it when i smiled knowingly at them....like they are not obvious but to the sheep ( not my favorite term) . so when traveling SA gets tweaked and upgraded a bit. and 4sure its the zipper that sets off the alarm by my boots, want to see, sir? and smile the wear travelers smile. you will get by. besides, but for the committed terrorist, who else truely wants to go there any more???
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Haven't noticed any signs here in FL but Seaworld does a "cursory" search of backpacks/purses, ineffective as it might be. I guess each park can do as it pleases in regards to guns, knives, sprays, etc. No state statute prohibiting those items simply because one "paid" to enter. Perhaps next legislative session NC will work on removing that imbecilic law. Another reason I don't plan on living there again (grew up in CLT).

You say your Tweetsie trip was uneventful. You sound disappointed something didn't happen to make it "eventful."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm going to Branson Missouri in a couple of weeks to silver dollar city I'll probably just leave it in the truck. Any body been there and taken there gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JDlewis; June 26th, 2011 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    I'm going to Brandon Missouri in a couple of weeks to silver dollar city I'll probably just leave it in the truck. Any body been there and taken there gun.
    I'm sure you meant, "Branson." Darn you, iPhone auto-correct!

I actually went to high school there, and it's a pretty safe place. As far as SDC, I've been there many times, but not armed. I don't know their policies, but it's a really safe park anyway. Last time I was there, they did a simple bag check, but that's more to prevent people bringing in alcohol than anything else. They have shuttles that drop you off pretty close to your car and SDC isn't the closest/easiest trip for people wanting to target tourists.

I'd be more worried about walking the strip at night when the unattended teenagers are out. They're mostly good kids just hanging out, but we all know what teen hormones, alcohol, and severe boredom can bring on. From what I've heard, they've had an increase in petty crimes, such as pickpockets and car break-ins but that's still really low.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I guess to me, if they have the metal detectors and I can be assured that no one has any firearms or knives or whatnot, then I am comfortable disarming. (I feel best if they are willing to store the firearm there) If it's a level playing field, the worst we have is an unarmed encounter and I feel pretty confident in my abilities there. So as long as they have detectors in place, I am game to disarm.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Yea, Carowinds got my blood pressure up a couple years ago when the metal detectors picked up my Buck Prince knife. They stored it for me but it still got under my skin. It would have been different if this would have been on their website at the time.
    SCGunLover1

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    I'm sure you meant, "Branson." Darn you, iPhone auto-correct!

I actually went to high school there, and it's a pretty safe place. As far as SDC, I've been there many times, but not armed. I don't know their policies, but it's a really safe park anyway. Last time I was there, they did a simple bag check, but that's more to prevent people bringing in alcohol than anything else. They have shuttles that drop you off pretty close to your car and SDC isn't the closest/easiest trip for people wanting to target tourists.

I'd be more worried about walking the strip at night when the unattended teenagers are out. They're mostly good kids just hanging out, but we all know what teen hormones, alcohol, and severe boredom can bring on. From what I've heard, they've had an increase in petty crimes, such as pickpockets and car break-ins but that's still really low.
    Yes that what I meant stupid phone. Lol

Ok sounds good thanks guys. Like I said I'm not wanting to take it in there because I feel most theme park are pretty safe. I will just leave it in my truck in my secret place were no one would know to look if they did break in my truck. But as soon i get back to the truck i rearm my self.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Not entirely by choice, I got dragged to Busch Gardens in Fla. last weekend. While I was there, I spent some time thinking about EDC tools in the park. There was no friskery at the gate, so I could have brought anything in.

Glad I didn't. Between the crowds and rides, the fewer things to keep track of the better. Probably one of the safest places you can be. Not like a WalMart parking lot.
    Wasn't it last year that there was a shooting in the Busch Gardens parking lot?
    Park might be safe. Not so sure about the parking lots.
    Busch Gardens is not in the BEST part of Tampa.
    That may be true of many of these places.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Check cold steel website. They have some nice plastic knifes that won't get you in trouble with the metal detectors

There are a lot of people and they are pretty safe, but not completely. A few years ago, a bunch of gang bangers started harassing a guy's 13 yr old daughter. When he took offense, they came back with some friends and stomped the crap out of him right outside the gate to Valleyfair amusement park.

I don't carry in a park, in part because of comfort issues (tough enough to squeeze into the rollercoaster now) but also because you will never have a clear background in which to shoot, even if the guy in front of you needs shooting.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Mr. BugDude, which entrance did you use to get in the NC or the SC entrance? I believe they have entrances from both states and have heard first hand reports of different treatment depending on which you use.

This is a curiosity question on my part. Was also informed by the Carowinds security that if something does happen in the park that requires law enforcement participation that it depends where in the park as to who they call, either NC or SC LE.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links