30.06 sign at gun show

30.06 sign at gun show

This is a discussion on 30.06 sign at gun show within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I decided to go to the Fort Worth gun show today. I've never been before. I was shocked to see a huge 30.06 sign forbidding ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 30.06 sign at gun show

30.06 sign at gun show

I decided to go to the Fort Worth gun show today. I've never been before. I was shocked to see a huge 30.06 sign forbidding concealed carry right at the main entrance. There were people all over carrying guns around, everything from handguns to assault rifles. Yet, concealed carry is banned? I found that very odd. So I had to walk half a mile back to my car so I could leave my gun in the car, then walk all the way back. While I was inside the gun show they were constantly announcing over the loudspeaker that concealed carry was not allowed at the gun show.

Am I the only one who thinks that is crazy? It is like walking into a gun store and there being a "no guns" sign on the front door. What is the logic?

I don't get it either

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I don't get it either
    ...and they wouldn't be getting any of my $$$.

I would have walked back to my car and left. Not much at gun shows I'm interested in seeing. If I want a CCW badge, I'll to on-line.
    I haven't been to a gun show in about a dozen years...not planning to in the future.
    orangevol likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That sign was up at the show I went to, yesterday. I just pulled up my shirt and tucked it behind the butt of my PX4, and everything was fine.

I need to look further into this, because Eastman was saying it was because this was a "public gathering," but I thought SB308 in Georgia exempted "public gatherings."

I think it may well have been a reaction to what happened in Clemens, MI. On all the carry pieces I saw, they ran zip-ties through the mag wells so anyone looking at a holstered firearm could see it was empty. At least that was what the officer told me at the check-in desk.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I think the rationale may be this: Someone conceal carrying at a gun show sees something they like. They offer up their conceal carry gun as a trade or partial trade. When they pull the gun out of the holster, they pull the trigger on accident and fire a round.

Whether or not this actually happens is another issue. All speculation and they may have another reason.
    BTW, the gun show in austin did NOT have a 30.06 sign at the last one.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    That is what I was told. They don't want people trading loaded weapons.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I asked the organizers,and they don't want any loaded firearms in the store,one reason is that not everybody has common sense,people carrying a concealed loaded handgun may see a holster or magazine they like and pull their gun out to try it out,One way to get around it is to unload your gun before entering and they will zip tie the action,I have 2 spare mags and a knife just in case,I can cut the tie and be loaded in a coupla seconds
    Mattmann likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

People the signs are not put up to offend your little feelings, they are put up to vomy with insurance requirements. It's not anti gun, it's anti dumb ass protection.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Just read something elsewhere, many suggest (correctly) that it is the building owner who posts the sign. If it's at an expo center, the sign may be up regardless of what group is renting it out.

In York PA yesterday, All I had to do is show the guy at the door mine was not chambered.

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    That sign was up at the show I went to, yesterday. I just pulled up my shirt and tucked it behind the butt of my PX4, and everything was fine.

I need to look further into this, because Eastman was saying it was because this was a "public gathering," but I thought SB308 in Georgia exempted "public gatherings."
    The OP was in TEXAS - and that sign carries the FORCE OF LAW THERE.

Regardless - Carrying on private property AGAINST the WISHES of the owner or authorized Representative CAN subject you to
    PROSECUTION for TRESPASS.

Rock and Glock likes this.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    In Indiana they do the same thing, its anti stupid. Most gun shops do it to here, but the ones that know me leave me alone
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Unfortunately too much stupid goes about at gun shows. I've been going to the Fort Worth Gun Show beginning back in the 1970s when it was still at the Round Up Inn. Was in there once when a gun went off too. A chilling experience. Was at another show years later when a gun discharged. In both of my experiences no one was injured but some are not so lucky. The Dallas Market Hall show used to keep a 5-gallon clear plastic water bottle by the entrance to show the number of cartridges collected from show attendees' "unloaded" firearms checked at the door.

It is scary how much stupid is out there these days.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

In my opinion, it's stupid to boycott a gun show for this reason. Kinda like cutting off your nose to spite your face. We need gun shows. I go just to support them.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I won't complain, gun shows always have better prices than local shops here. Even when I get "scammed" by gun show standards, I still beat the local standards by $50.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links