What do you think is in the future for concealed carry holders vs criminals?

This is a discussion on What do you think is in the future for concealed carry holders vs criminals? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you're going to carry, carry all the time so that the statistics will indeed change in favor of the law abiding citizen. For me, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: What do you think is in the future for concealed carry holders vs criminals?

If you're going to carry, carry all the time so that the statistics will indeed change in favor of the law abiding citizen. For me, I never leave home without my gun and I hope I never have to use it. If that day ever comes, I will be able to say, "Are ya feeling lucky, punk. Go ahead, make my day."

Well....maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but I will be prepared.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

2. Remove Ads

I don't think much will change even if 10% of the population carried, simply for the fact that high crime typically happens in lower class neighborhoods to the poorer people, often minorities, who live there. The criminals typically prey on their own communities. The majority of people who CC belong to the middle or upper class, and are largely white. Their communities would remain largely uneffected, barring some great societal upheaval or change.

It's the law abiding people in these poorer neighborhoods who need to be carrying the most who, sadly, are not. The whole idea of the gun to many of these people is soley identified with it's use by criminals. I've actually had to explain to some coworkers who grew up in pretty rough neighborhoods that owning a handgun and getting a carry permit was perfectly legal, and even moral. It can be hard, if not impossible, to change a ingrained cultural mindset.
    Magnum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Most criminals will not be deterred by CCW until they have a gun in their face. Many are probably too stupid to know that CCW can be legal for honest citizens.
    Very true

I think that more citizens carrying would deter some criminals while others would become more violent to counter-act the threat they percieve. You have to remember that not all criminals do it for fun or because they like the lifestyle (those types owuld liekly reduce their criminal activity). A lot of criminals commit crime because it is a WAY OF LIFE for them. In their screwed up logic and morality, they know no other way to survive (get a job and live paycheque to paycheque just doesn't give them the lifestyle they want). This second group is likely to respond with increased violence OR by finding criminal activity that puts them less at risk - frauds or selective targeting.

I had a second thought. If my country can be any reflection on which way it would go: we are not allowed to CC unless you are employed somewhere that requires you to do so. That said, the criminals do not arm themselves with firearms as often as they do in the US - is this because they don't feel the need to have them since citizens aren't armed, is it because they are less handguns up here and therefore harder for criminals to illegally get hold of them, or is it simply because many of our criminal organizations are a few years behind in their development to this point? Tough to say.

To point out - it's not that our ganags and bad guys don't carry guns, just that they are more likely to carry knives.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Very true. There are many more drug-fueled people than ever before and they don't think straight, so anything may go with them.
    And with them come the Mexican Drug Cartels and their local distribution representatives, the American gangs. At least in my sleepy little town in northern Colorado our police chief has commented to the city council that 80% to 90% of violent crime in our city is driven by the meth trade, either by gangs competing for territory, dealers on other dealers, or users stealing to support their habit.

I think societal breakdown is as close as failure to meet the next welfare payment. You have large percentages who have never worked for a living (for generations) and are being told that "rich" people owe them a living. When that doesn't happen, it will get bad. Smash and grabs, kidnappings, muggings, home invasions, wilding mobs.

The question isn't really what will happen in the future with concealed carry. The question really is, will you and your family be ready? When things fall apart, and it can happen VERY quickly, there will only be those with guns and those without. If you haven't made a habit of carry, haven't thought through the scenarios, haven't stocked up on ammo and haven't taught your family to help with defense, you'll be way behind. It won't be a game, and you may only have one opportunity to use it.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Upon hearing the story of the bandit in the village, the student went to the Master:

"Master, it saddens me that this evildoer is preying on the helpless. I have listened to and practiced all that you have taught me to prepare myself; I truly believe in my heart that I can defeat this bandit.

Everywhere I go on my daily rounds, I keep an eye out for him, walking upright, staying alert and looking around, studying the people around me, and yet the monster never shows himself, never chooses me, but preys on the defenseless instead. Why, Master?"

The Master only smiled.

And the student was enlightened.
    HotGuns and ppkheat like this.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I think the increased violence in America is due partly to the drug culture but our youth are be conditioned to violence by the many video games played, and movies watched. I know I am an old fart but that is just my thinking.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

The only changes will happen when our country starts to treat criminals like criminals. Right now we let too many sit in cells for hideous crimes, clear out the jails I say, have an "electric chair" day. Or better yet, a "ballistic test day" and then you could eliminate a lot of the overpopulation. Ever raped a woman or child? You die. Kill someone? You die. And you get your sentenced in 48 hours. It is quite simple really. THAT is how you effect the mind of the criminal element.

Carrying just makes sure that when they choose you as a target, they will lose. It won't stop them from trying.

Well, the one guy who was trying to pull a knife out of his pocket to rob me, was disappointed in CC.

The guys who were scoping people to rob in the parking lot of a Walmart, and one of them saying to the other " forget it , I'm think he's carrying a gun" .... were sure looking for it.

The guy who was trying to break into my backdoor at 2 a.m. one night, sure would have been disappointed he picked the wrong house.

And, I live in a low crime area. It means "they " are paying attention..... and they don't like it, which is good for all of us, or even the guy wearing a cell phone under his shirt that causes a budge and a robber decides to move on to someone else. And, as these guys get shot in home invasions, robberies, etc...... their fear level in general will rise. Maybe it will get some to go out and get a real job.

I'm glad to see the % of women deciding to carry, as they wont' be seen as the vulenerable gender nor the easy victim any longer.

Or, the numbers will decrease via the process of elimination ... because the odds are that sooner or later, they will meet one of those 1%'ers .... or be put in prison.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links