What do you think is in the future for concealed carry holders vs criminals?

This is a discussion on What do you think is in the future for concealed carry holders vs criminals? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems to me that more states are becoming involved, reciprocity expanded, and more citizens applying. It makes me wonder how criminal's will respond to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: What do you think is in the future for concealed carry holders vs criminals?

VIP Member

What do you think is in the future for concealed carry holders vs criminals?

It seems to me that more states are becoming involved, reciprocity expanded, and more citizens applying. It makes me wonder how criminal's will respond to more and more concealed carry citizens? I hope it is a deterrent.

Criminals have stated one of their biggest fears is the armed homeowner, suggesting that breaching someone's home they may be faced with lethal consequences. Armed citizens outside and away from their homes is becoming more widespread for them, and I'm wondering how criminals may alter their behavior/intentions in the future to deal with that.

Nationwide there are probably less than 1% citizen CC holders, but if that percentage reached 10%+ some day, how will the criminals react? I don't really see them repenting, but may expect them involved with more "non-violent" crimes, or I can imagine them becoming more violent and simply killing a citizen "just in case he had a gun", then stealing or doing whatever he'd planned.

Do you think that right now, with roughly 1% of the population, that it's making enough of an impact for a significant deterrent? As the number of armed citizens increase I'd guess that the criminals will increase their SA toward victim selection?

What do you think is in our future?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

Well, it's really hard to say. I don't see much of a demonstrable change in crime statistics in the near future. Even states which has had CCW for 15 - 20 years still only has a CCW population of less than 5% on average.

However, as long as CCW holders keep their nose clean, and the shootings they are involved in are "good clean shoots," (justifiable), I think criminals will eventually start to think twice about who they target.
    640girl and SGT like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I too would like to think of it being a deterrent unfortunately with our crappy economy and other issues criminals are getting more and more desperate. If they resort to just shooting first then I hope their lack of training is an advantage for the average concealed carriers above average skill level. However if you listen to mainstream media the streets should be flooded with blood anytime now.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I would hope that criminals don't start carrying more lethal weapons then they do now but that is more than likely what we would see happen. I always carry amd always will and I can assure any criminal that if they decide to make the stupid decision of kicking in my door that there worse fear will be a reality!!!

Senior Moderator
    I dont see much changing. Society in general it losing its bearings...what used to be good is now bad, what used to be bad is now good and many people are growing up with no sense of right or wrong or direction in their lives.

People are getting crazier by the day and the frustration level continues to get even higher. They are frustrated with the economy, frustrated with government, frustrated with work, frustrated by life itself and some of those people have the moral fortitude of a stray dog.

While some things appear to get better, other things are getting worse. More people do seem to be arming themselves, but at the same time, more immoral heathens are being raised up that would kill you and laugh about it. It seems like we have more predators now than ever before and yet they can sense someone that will fight back so they pass on them and move on to easier targets.

I would like to be able to say that more people are arming themselves, thus the crime rate goes down, but I dont see it happening that way.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

One thing I see different now than 25 years ago is the development of crack and meth. They are cheap and prolific and have profound effects (i.e. some people becoming addicted the first time they try it). More and more people are fare more whacked out on more potent things and more desperate to fuel the addiction. 25 years ago these drugs didn't exist. The ones that did were not so extreme and the harder ones were more expensive and not as prolific. It seems now that meth heads are everywhere and they will do anything and don't care. The abuse of prescription drugs seems to have gotten much worse as well. I personally feel that drugs are the ruination of society and the problem is getting worse every day. I don't see being armed as a deterent for the drug crazed addicts and criminals...even when citizens draw, only when forced to use it. Drugs prevent logic and reason from dictating their actions.
    Bark'n, Old School and Magnum like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Another factor in this is that whatever percentage of the population has a permit; there is another percentage of that which actually carry.

I work with a lot of people who have carry permits, but don't ever carry. Quite often they have a pistol in the car, but that's where it ends.

A lot of new permit holders just do it because they can, or because they believe that it might save them some headache if they have a run-in with the law while they have a weapon with them.

Very few people that I know with permits, carry regularly. And even fewer of them that actually take it seriously, i.e. training, self defense education, etc.

I don't see much changing. If anything peaceful, packing citizens may have to be on higher alert...
    Magnum likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Very true. There are many more drug-fueled people than ever before and they don't think straight, so anything may go with them.
    Magnum likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

If my crystal ball and tera cards arn't decieving me, I fortell things getting worse, much worse, here's why. We all know about the crappy economy, and I doubt it will improve anytime in the near future. That's a driving force but, IMHO, not the major factor with increasing crime. It's my opinion the government is responsible (Roosevelt & Johnson in particular) for the ENTITLEMENT mentality that affects a large portion of the population. The "you owes me" folks will take, not work, for what they want. Hope we never have another Katrina, earthquake, riot(s), etc. More and moe single parent kids are being hatched (I believe they were called ******** back in the day) that have parent that doesn't give a damn, their in it for the sex. A good portion of these "kids" join gangs to replace their unconcerned parent. If you look at the statistics, there are literally "millions" of gang bangers in the U.S. now, and are not confined to large cities either, their all over. They are increasing violent crimes of every kind. If the media even reports any of their crimes, seldom do they mention they were a gang member for some reason. Then we have the ever increasing population of drug addicts, who will do anything for their next fix. We need a war on drugs and a war on gangs, oh I forgot we did. Want to see how many criminals you have in your neighborhood, have a riot, economic turmoil, natural disaster, miss a welfare check, etc., and watch the looters come outof the wood work. Ya'll think I'm out to lunch?
    MotorCityGun and Magnum like this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Another factor in this is that whatever percentage of the population has a permit; there is another percentage of that which actually carry.

I work with a lot of people who have carry permits, but don't ever carry. Quite often they have a pistol in the car, but that's where it ends.

A lot of new permit holders just do it because they can, or because they believe that it might save them some headache if they have a run-in with the law while they have a weapon with them.

Very few people that I know with permits, carry regularly. And even fewer of them that actually take it seriously, i.e. training, self defense education, etc.

I don't see much changing. If anything peaceful, packing citizens may have to be on higher alert...
    Now that you mention it, all of my buddies at work that I go shooting with have their permits and they just keep a gun in their truck. They rarely carry on their person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    If my crystal ball and tera cards arn't decieving me, I fortell things getting worse, much worse, here's why. We all know about the crappy economy, and I doubt it will improve anytime in the near future. That's a driving force but, IMHO, not the major factor with increasing crime. It's my opinion the government is responsible (Roosevelt & Johnson in particular) for the ENTITLEMENT mentality that affects a large portion of the population. The "you owes me" folks will take, not work, for what they want. Hope we never have another Katrina, earthquake, riot(s), etc. More and moe single parent kids are being hatched (I believe they were called ******** back in the day) that have parent that doesn't give a damn, their in it for the sex. A good portion of these "kids" join gangs to replace their unconcerned parent. If you look at the statistics, there are literally "millions" of gang bangers in the U.S. now, and are not confined to large cities either, their all over. They are increasing violent crimes of every kind. If the media even reports any of their crimes, seldom do they mention they were a gang member for some reason. Then we have the ever increasing population of drug addicts, who will do anything for their next fix. We need a war on drugs and a war on gangs, oh I forgot we did. Want to see how many criminals you have in your neighborhood, have a riot, economic turmoil, natural disaster, miss a welfare check, etc., and watch the looters come outof the wood work. Ya'll think I'm out to lunch?
    I don't think you're out to lunch. All real variables that are contributing to the downfall of society.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    More CCers won't deter criminals. It may slow the number of crimes fully committed, but the same amount will be attempted. I dont think the average BG reads Internet forums or newspapers to see that the percentage of CCers went up half a percent and then worry about their own safety while attempting to commit a crime.

Crime rates will ruse again due to stress and anxiety. If the laws IRT CC get any tighter, the jails will fill up with Good Guys that tried to stop the BGs.
    Magnum likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I see more and more "mob" attacks based on perceived economic status or race. Not riots, just wolf packs of predators who've never had consequences in the new politically correct world. We're already seeing some of this getting reported.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    In the wild west days when most everyone wore a gun most people where shot in the back. Do you think anything will change if it comes back to more GG's with guns?
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Most criminals will not be deterred by CCW until they have a gun in their face. Many are probably too stupid to know that CCW can be legal for honest citizens.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

The future of CCW versus criminals?

Good news for us, bad news for them.... think that about sums it up...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links