NC To Honor All Othere States?????

This is a discussion on NC To Honor All Othere States????? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking through NC HB 650 to note changes in the new law to add to the NC Page at Handgunlaw.us. The new ...

Thread: NC To Honor All Othere States?????

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

NC To Honor All Othere States?????

I have been looking through NC HB 650 to note changes in the new law to add to the NC Page at Handgunlaw.us. The new Law contains the following section. What is in bold is struck through. I can't get the BC Code for Strikethrough to work here. So what is in bold is what is struck from the section. I read it as NC honoring all other states permit/licenses. But I have not heard one word from any NRA Alert, any article I have read or any post about the new law mentioning this. I thought something like this would be mentioned when they talk about this new law. Am I missing something as nothing I have read has mentioned this. Here is a direct link to the HB 650 http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions...PDF/H650v5.pdf

SECTION 22.(a) G.S. 14-415.24 reads as rewritten:
    " 14-415.24. Reciprocity; out-of-state handgun permits.
    (a) A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina if that state grants the same right to residents of North Carolina who have valid concealed handgun permits issued pursuant to this Article in their possession while carrying concealed weapons in that state. North Carolina.

(b) The Attorney General shall maintain a registry of states that meet the requirements of this section on the North Carolina Criminal Information Network and make the registry available to law enforcement officers for investigative purposes.

(c) Every 12 months after the effective date of this subsection, the Department of Justice shall make written inquiry of the concealed handgun permitting authorities in each other state as to: (i) whether a North Carolina resident may carry a concealed handgun in their state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit and (ii) whether a North Carolina resident may apply for a concealed handgun permit in that state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit. The Department of Justice shall attempt to secure from each state permission for North Carolina residents who hold a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit to carry a concealed handgun in that state, either on the basis of the North Carolina permit or on the basis that the North Carolina permit is sufficient to permit the issuance of a similar license or permit by the other state."
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Gary, I agree with your take on it (appears that NC is trying to honor all other states' permits). But if so, wouldn't you think they would strike out section (c) as well? They could keep checking on everyone else but why bother if you're going to honor all of them, just do it!
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    The way I read Section (c) is that NC is checking to see if other states will honor theirs so that NC residents will know what states honor their permit/license. Also the first part states:

(a) A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina.

It mentions nothing about the other state honoring theirs etc. This is the same type wording the other states use when they have gone to honoring all other states permit/licenses. But no one is mentioning this. That is why I am asking. I believe this would have made the Notices and News. The only good thing is we have until Dec 1, 2011 to get an answer to this.

(c) Every 12 months after the effective date of this subsection, the Department of Justice shall make written inquiry of the concealed handgun permitting authorities in each other state as to: (i) whether a North Carolina resident may carry a concealed handgun in their state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit and (ii) whether a North Carolina resident may apply for a concealed handgun permit in that state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit. The Department of Justice shall attempt to secure from each state permission for North Carolina residents who hold a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit to carry a concealed handgun in that state, either on the basis of the North Carolina permit or on the basis that the North Carolina permit is sufficient to permit the issuance of a similar license or permit by the other state."
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

It sounds to me like paragraph (c) is an attempt to get other states to allow NC permits. "We're letting your CCW holders carry in our state, how about letting our CCW holders carry in yours?" So it isn't really relevant to the bill, but it would be a nice addition for the CCW holders to have the state at least making an attempt to get reciprocity with other states.

Quote Originally Posted by rably View Post
    It sounds to me like paragraph (c) is an attempt to get other states to allow NC permits. "We're letting your CCW holders carry in our state, how about letting our CCW holders carry in yours?" So it isn't really relevant to the bill, but it would be a nice addition for the CCW holders to have the state at least making an attempt to get reciprocity with other states.
    This is exactly what section "C" does. Note this isn't new, it's how the statutes are written now. They currently do just that.

From what I gather it's simply going to allow any permit holder to CC in NC. There is so much going on in this bill it's not funny. I'm hoping for a more concise version from someone in charge to lay it out more clearly.

It was mentioned in several gun group releases and was pretty common knowledge for the folks keeping up with it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links