Is a holster considered "concealed?" - Page 2

Is a holster considered "concealed?"

This is a discussion on Is a holster considered "concealed?" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with the majority here. Concealed means concealed...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is a holster considered "concealed?"

I agree with the majority here. Concealed means concealed

The law in Nevada (IANAL):

Concealed Firearms
    NRS 202.3653 Definitions. As used in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires:
    1. “Concealed firearm” means a loaded or unloaded pistol, revolver or other firearm which is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.

================================================== =====

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Actually, you are right. That isn't too bad. I feel kind of silly now. When I brought the gun home from the gun store, the gun was in the case opposite of that with the handle down towards the bottom. That is how the folks at the gun store put it in there so I sort of assumed that was the way it was meant to go. Still, I think I'd prefer my IWB. But I may try practicing it like in the video just to see how well it works.
    Nothing to feel silly about. Until you see the video, placing the pistol into the holster "upside-down and backwards" is counter-intuitive, to say the least ...
    Even though the Bulldog holster/case works reasonably well, I see no reason to use it since a pocket holster in my back pocket seems to be the perfect solution for the TCP, at least for me.

Senior Moderator
    DISCLAIMER: Before anyone reads this I want to point out that I have no intention of doing this or advocating to others. For some reason when I ask a hypothetical question on here, people assume it is because I am planning on doing it. This is just a mere curiosity.

So I just bought this antique WWII gun I was talking about in another thread. It came with a leather holster. When I put the gun in the holster, I realized that when you fold the flap over and button it down, the pistol itself is completely concealed inside the holster. Now, anyone with half a brain looking at that on a persons' hip would know exactly what it is. But no gun is visible. So what would law enforcement say about it?
    You'd be arrested in Florida.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Adric, You pose an interesting question (for once).

The military holster that came with my surplus CZvz82 is ambidextrous, and really looks very little like a holster, except that its leather. And, when holstered, no part of the gun is visible.

Depending on your attire, you might be able to get away with wearing this on your belt and no one (police included)would be the wiser.

Now, if you wanted to, you could run a wire or tube from it into your shirt front, and tell people it was a tens unit (electric stimulus for pain) in a custom pouch. Or, shave your head and tell people it's a chemo pump.
    Attached Images
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    just having spent brass or, gasp...a live round mixed in with your pocket change can be construed as brandishing if it is displayed in your open palm
    as you make change at the register. of course the outcome depends on who sees it and the mood of the (if any) responding officer.
    make enough laws and you make it likly that every one will break one.

------------------

any news on the promised "Carrying UnChambered Forum"? seems to have fallen off of the rader...
    Oh, crap! I'd better go clean all that empty brass out of the back of my Ford pickup! LOL
    Seriously, though, you're all making good points. We need to remember it's the perception of non-handgunners and gun-haters that we're dealing with, and not our brethren on this forum.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    different states---in Connecticut a holster, with or without a gun visible in it implies a gun
    wether a LEO will bust you is up to him, but the law says...

just having spent brass or, gasp...a live round mixed in with your pocket change can be construed as brandishing if it is displayed in your open palm
    as you make change at the register. of course the outcome depends on who sees it and the mood of the (if any) responding officer.
    make enough laws and you make it likly that every one will break one.

------------------

any news on the promised "Carrying UnChambered Forum"? seems to have fallen off of the rader...
    I really think that when states/cities come up with laws and ordinances they just think, "gee, what's the best way that we can give our law abiding public a headache?" It worries me that this is something we must think of just to go out to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRay View Post
    Oh, crap! I'd better go clean all that empty brass out of the back of my Ford pickup! LOL
    Seriously, though, you're all making good points. We need to remember it's the perception of non-handgunners and gun-haters that we're dealing with, and not our brethren on this forum.
    Yeah but how many gun-haters would even recognize spent-brass? I've typically found that those people with knowledge of guns are not gun haters. It is usually ignorance that leads to such fear.

Yeah but how many gun-haters would even recognize spent-brass? I've typically found that those people with knowledge of guns are not gun haters. It is usually ignorance that leads to such fear.
    They've all seen CSI, so they will recognize it and unfortunately they'll equate it with this:
    20100928-140932-pic-110246035_t640.jpg

Not this:
    TargetPractice.jpg
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    That is a good question,but I would think that since everybody would know that it's a gun holster they would consider it Open carrying,I wouldn't want to be a test case since some LEO's still think that if your shirt is tight enough that they can make out the outline of a gun that in their opinion you are failing to conceal
    that might be the case in TX, in FLA printing, which is what you described is called, is not illegal and recently the laws were updated so that an inadvertent exposure will cause problems either

I agree with most posters: any reasonable person would know that the it i a holster on your hip and a gun in it. Not a ceoncealed carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slafav View Post
    GC 411.171.

(3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of
    which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable
    person.

In Texas, you have failed to conceal.
    Just for discussion sake--- one might carry a totally empty holster of that design on one's hip and an ordinary observer and reasonable person might believe that a gun was being carried concealed.

Similarly, some of the "camera bag" style holsters pretty much scream "gun" and any one familiar with them might reasonably conclude there is a gun in there.

A good rule of thumb, when in doubt don't do it.

I had another thought. What if it was Halloween and you dressed as an army guy and you carried your gun in a tactical thigh holster. Technically, it is concealed within your costume. People would assume it's part of the costume. Technically, concealed.

I am NOT testing this one out. Just a funny thought.

Posted via Tapatalk for the HTC Evo.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I think I remember someone reading the law in FL maybe, where it said the firearm itself had to be completely concealed from view. I recall it being worded in such a way that just the firearm couldn't be seen, and he was going to run around with a holster like that with a cell phone and see how that went. If no one said anything he was considering concealing a firearm in it.

EDIT: Not that I suggest this. No.
    FL only requires the firearm to be concealed from "ordinary view." Recent change to the "Improper exhibition" statute states that momentary non-threatening, accidental/inadvertant exposure of a firearm by a person with a CC permit is not a violation.

Carrying a firearm in a holster openly exposed will probably get you to be the first test case, an expense I'd rather let someone else endure.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Concealed verses non-concealed is a really touchy subject. The reason is that, at least by the ways laws are written in Ohio, carrying a handgun in a simple Kydex holster on your strong-side with no shirt covering it can still easily be deemed "concealed" because the kydex holster covers part of the gun! It's all open for interpretation but I would say don't push it and become a test-case unless you have the money to fight.

Yes, it would be highly unlikely for someone to be charged in these circumstances, but it can very well happen. It all depends on how you treat the police officer and what kind of day he is having. After all he could have just found out his wife was sleeping with the neighbors (all of them) so he may not be having a good day.

Open carry is alive and strong in Ohio
    Bill Holcomb
    Owner/Chief Instructor
    Three Tango Firearms Academy
    www.threetango.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links