Is a holster considered "concealed?"

This is a discussion on Is a holster considered "concealed?" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; DISCLAIMER : Before anyone reads this I want to point out that I have no intention of doing this or advocating to others. For some ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is a holster considered "concealed?"

DISCLAIMER: Before anyone reads this I want to point out that I have no intention of doing this or advocating to others. For some reason when I ask a hypothetical question on here, people assume it is because I am planning on doing it. This is just a mere curiosity.

So I just bought this antique WWII gun I was talking about in another thread. It came with a leather holster. When I put the gun in the holster, I realized that when you fold the flap over and button it down, the pistol itself is completely concealed inside the holster. Now, anyone with half a brain looking at that on a persons' hip would know exactly what it is. But no gun is visible. So what would law enforcement say about it?

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Depends on your state, some that is considered concealed and would be illegal for open carry.

That is a good question,but I would think that since everybody would know that it's a gun holster they would consider it Open carrying,I wouldn't want to be a test case since some LEO's still think that if your shirt is tight enough that they can make out the outline of a gun that in their opinion you are failing to conceal
    garyacman and 357and40 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

GC 411.171.

(3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of
    which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable
    person.

In Texas, you have failed to conceal.
    bmcgilvray and sprale like this.

I think I remember someone reading the law in FL maybe, where it said the firearm itself had to be completely concealed from view. I recall it being worded in such a way that just the firearm couldn't be seen, and he was going to run around with a holster like that with a cell phone and see how that went. If no one said anything he was considering concealing a firearm in it.

EDIT: Not that I suggest this. No.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    different states---in Connecticut a holster, with or without a gun visible in it implies a gun
    wether a LEO will bust you is up to him, but the law says...

just having spent brass or, gasp...a live round mixed in with your pocket change can be construed as brandishing if it is displayed in your open palm
    as you make change at the register. of course the outcome depends on who sees it and the mood of the (if any) responding officer.
    make enough laws and you make it likly that every one will break one.

------------------

any news on the promised "Carrying UnChambered Forum"? seems to have fallen off of the rader...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Are you sure it is completely concealed, can you see the but of the grip from the rear? I would say that is not concealed carry. Like others have said I wouldn't want to be the test case.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I'm pretty certain in Wisconsin that would be considered OC. The holster is in plain view, which I think is the main qualifier in my state. Now, if the holster looked like something other than a holster, then it would be CC. The situation is one of those grey areas. It could be considered either way realistically, and we all know that legal definitions are their own entity.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Now, if the holster looked like something other than a holster, then it would be CC.
    Yeah, my little Taurus actually came with a OWB holster that completely conceals the gun, but it looks like something you'd carry a cell phone, albeit a large one. I've actually seen people walking around with one of those clipped on their belts and wondered if it was a gun inside. But I would NEVER use that holster because I have found it too time consuming to get the gun out in a hurry. Even after unsnapping the buttons, the gun is buried inside with no way to get hold of the grip. It has a little finger hole in the bottom you can press your finger in to push the gun up, but it still just takes too long. In fact, if I were in a hurry I'd be more likely to drop the gun trying to get it out quickly.

That's a tough one. Could vary from officer to officer on their interpretation of the law.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

In AZ, open carry was (and remains) permissible. Until the new Vermont-style laws was passed last year, the law stated that something like three inches of the holster had to remain visible in order for the gun to be considered not concealed. Just offering this as an example and not a definition.

Taking a moment to comment on a broader topic: In some threads running over the past few days, a number of posts have highlighted actions which, though strictly legal, might draw unwelcome attention from law enforcement. What needs to be pointed out is that often law enforcement officers act to uphold the intent yet not necessarily the letter of the law, and in so doing cause a lot of "inconvenience" on the part of lawful gun-toters. Connecticut is a prime example; permits are issued to carry pistols and revolvers; "concealed" is not in the language of the law or the permit application. Yet walk around in public with an unconcealed handgun and you will likely get noticed by the gendarmes and lose your permit as a result... even though "concealed" is not a specific stipulation. Cops will make arrests based on their trained interpretation of laws, and it's up to the state/county/etc's lawyers (DA, prosecutor) to make the charges stick or not. My point is simply that the legitimately-armed community needs to consciously err on the conservative side with regard to interpreting what meets the intent of the laws about concealed carry. (stepping down from the soap box now.)
    wmhawth, oakchas, Hopyard and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    My point is simply that the legitimately-armed community needs to consciously err on the conservative side with regard to interpreting what meets the intent of the laws about concealed carry. (stepping down from the soap box now.)

Smitty: you keep talking good sense. its better than those who profess to have others stand on their rights while they step back and watch the mess unfold.

------------------------------
    But I would NEVER use that holster because I have found it too time consuming to get the gun out in a hurry. Even after unsnapping the buttons, the gun is buried inside with no way to get hold of the grip. It has a little finger hole in the bottom you can press your finger in to push the gun up, but it still just takes too long. In fact, if I were in a hurry I'd be more likely to drop the gun trying to get it out quickly.
    and after all that you still have to chamber a round.....
    just saying that you seem to be coming up awfully shy time-wise vs the BG getting closer to you...

i would have to agree with you--that holster coupled with your carry technique does not seem viable
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

GC 411.171. (3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.
    That would be illegal in Texas.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

adric22 ...

If you look at the draw demo on youtube, it's not really that slow a presentation ... It requires some practice to speed things up, but with a bit of work it presents well.

Take a look here ...
    YouTube - ‪BullDog Holster Manipulation‬‏

Quote Originally Posted by JohnInFla View Post
    adric22 ...

If you look at the draw demo on youtube, it's not really that slow a presentation ... It requires some practice to speed things up, but with a bit of work it presents well.
    Actually, you are right. That isn't too bad. I feel kind of silly now. When I brought the gun home from the gun store, the gun was in the case opposite of that with the handle down towards the bottom. That is how the folks at the gun store put it in there so I sort of assumed that was the way it was meant to go. Still, I think I'd prefer my IWB. But I may try practicing it like in the video just to see how well it works.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links