Trip to NC

This is a discussion on Trip to NC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm getting ready to travel to the Outer Banks, NC for the week of the 4th. I've looked up the laws regarding carry in NC, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TBob
  • 1 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By TBob

Thread: Trip to NC

Trip to NC

I'm getting ready to travel to the Outer Banks, NC for the week of the 4th. I've looked up the laws regarding carry in NC, but thought I would request your collective wisdom as well. I'll be at a beach house with the family, maybe on a private boat (not chartered if that makes a difference) and may be going to a fireworks display. Thanks.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

I travel to NC pretty regularly from VA. If you follow the restrictions at handgunlaw.us, you'll be fine. They have a few different rules from VA, like not carrying in banks, any place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises, or public events like parades. There are no rules about sign formats, so you see quite a variety. Although, I've not seen many normal places posted. Definitely not as good as VA as far as 2nd Amendment, but better than many.

Oh, forgot to add that you must notify if approached by law enforcement.
    BugDude likes this.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Quote Originally Posted by TBob View Post
    I travel to NC pretty regularly from VA. If you follow the restrictions at handgunlaw.us, you'll be fine. They have a few different rules from VA, like not carrying in banks, any place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises, or public events like parades. There are no rules about sign formats, so you see quite a variety. Although, I've not seen many normal places posted. Definitely not as good as VA as far as 2nd Amendment, but better than many.

Oh, forgot to add that you must notify if approached by law enforcement.
    I live in SW Virginia and travel in NC a lot. TBob has pretty much summed it up. Another strange NC law is you cannot carry in a place that charges admission (hotels and motels are nto considered charging admission).
    SGT likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I live in SW Virginia and travel in NC a lot. TBob has pretty much summed it up. Another strange NC law is you cannot carry in a place that charges admission (hotels and motels are nto considered charging admission).
    I still haven't thought that one through after all these years. The list in the statute after that has large-venue stuff like big concerts, etc. I wonder if it includes small things not listed in the statute like movie theaters.

I struggle with the logic myself as I see none. Perhaps they were trying to keep them out of night clubs, but they already had the alcohol thing. Of course, some night clubs do not sell and serve alcohol but allow brown bagging. Whatever the backwards reasoning, I always have to constantly remind myself I'm in NC when I visit family. Virginia is a very good place to live, for lots of reasons, one of which is reasonable 2A laws.

PS. To be safe, I assume it means any place that charges admission...I could be wrong, but better safe than sorry.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    PS. To be safe, I assume it means any place that charges admission...I could be wrong, but better safe than sorry.
    Copy that. As I always say, when in Rome, don't relieve yourself in the aqueduct.
    BugDude likes this.

Thanks guys. We are blessed to live here in VA. BigDude, I live in SWVA too. I especially like our part of VA. Do you guys know anything about the boat issue? I'm not sure if I'll be going out or not.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

Yes, movie theaters are included. ANY place that charges admission is off limits for concealed carry. Hotels and motels are not charging admission, they are renting you space for the time.

Thanks for the clarification. That's interesting. I state for the record that I've always left the aqueducts alone.

I always thought there was a "under 2500 seat" was OK stipulation in the movie theater restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    I always thought there was a "under 2500 seat" was OK stipulation in the movie theater restriction.
    There is no stipulation on size for NC. ANY place that charges admission is off limits.

Links