First Trip on an Airline w/handgun

This is a discussion on First Trip on an Airline w/handgun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't know if this is worth the thread, but I'm a bit relieved today and thought I'd spread it around. I have a NY resident ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First Trip on an Airline w/handgun

Don't know if this is worth the thread, but I'm a bit relieved today and thought I'd spread it around.
    I have a NY resident CCW, CT and PA non-resident. I was going to Georgia on business, and since GA reciprocates with PA, I felt compelled to bring my PX4 with me for the first time (maybe just to spread my 2A wings, I suppose).
    Told the Delta ticket rep I'm declaring a handgun in my checked luggage, she asked to see the case open, filled out some paperwork, and that was the last thing about the trip that was out of the ordinary. Absolutely no sweat.

Anybody ever had a less-than-easy time airlining with a firearm?

Six
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Generally no problem, especially flying out of Arkansas. When I departed Providence R.I. once the clerk at the desk appeared a bit startled when I told her I needed to declare and she was uncertain as to the procedure. I talked her through it and after she consulted with a supervisor, all was well. Never a problem with TSA.

I only fly in and out of smaller airports, and almost always on Delta...never a problem.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll be flying a few times this year from TN to NY, Vegas and a couple other places. I've been reading the guns on planes threads to try to gather my intel. I'm just paranoid about my gun being stolen, lost, or played with. Still not sure what i'm going to do. I'm hearing lots of stories of both good and bad experiences.

Ive flown in and out of LAX

I've flown in and out of both LAX with both handguns and long guns. Even California it was fast and easy. If your worried about having your weapons played with, rest assured. You are required to have a locking case for your firearm. No ammo though, as much as i do not like having to find somewhere to buy Hornady tap rounds in california. I showed the firearm, that it was unloaded, she placed a little card in the case, had me lock it, place it in my bag, then buisness as usuall.

Use a security cable and lock to secure your hard sided case inside your suitcase. Usually prevents thievery.

DON'T..!!

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    I'll be flying a few times this year from TN to NY.
    If you're going to do what you've just written.. DON'T!!

New York State only recognizes their own "LCP".. and NO ONE ELSES! And what ever you do, don't try this in NYC. It's even worse than the rest of the state. The State even requires you to go through all the BS and get a license (some counties are harder than others to do so and you end up with restrictions, with the up state ones being somewhat easier), to purchase.

Ask some of those around here (who show NY as their location), for additional info on what you want to do. Don't want to see you get in trouble and lose your 2A rights in your future years.

FireStar M40
    Inspector71 likes this.

KB PM sent-- As other said Do not bring a firearm into NY..Not Good

Yeah coming into NY (assuming you are a TN resident and therefore can't possibly get a NY permit) would definitely not be a good idea.

And as I thought about it, I did forget one minor glitch I hit getting through the check-in in Georgia - the ticket counter lady knew less than I did about the rules for carrying ammo. She said the ammo had to be separate from the gun's locked case. I told her very politely that I was familiar with Delta's rules and the TSA's, and both said the gun and ammo can occupy the same locked case, but they obviously must be separated, with the ammo in manufacturer's packaging (meaning in a box with the rounds separated by the packaging). Once I said that, she seemed to recall the rules herself and agreed.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

I have traveled with my gun without issue. One thing I have done in the past is carry a copy of the specific airline rules concerning carrying a firearm on their planes. Some of the people who work with the airline don't always know the policy. This copy of the rules just protects you from those who may not know just in case there is an issue.
    TVJ likes this.

1. do not take a gun to NY unless you have a resident's license.
    2. carry a copy of the airline rules, the tsa rules and the federal rules with you when you fly.
    3. go to Glocktalk.com and read the post by MacG22; it has all the info you could ever want on flying with a gun and willsave you lots of potential hassle.
    Mac's Guide to Flying with a Firearm: - Glock Talk

When I fly

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Review TSA: Traveling with Special Items to understand TSA policies and procedures. Have a copy with you when you reach the airport.
    2. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys/combination to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
    3. Steps that will make it easier to show that the weapon is unloaded - especially when x-rayed.
      • If the weapon is a:
        • semi-automatic
          • lock the slide open
          • put a cable tie through the barrel and out the breach to show that the chamber is empty
        • revolver, flip the cylinder out
      • Do not put the magazines in this locked case with the gun(s):
        • it invites questions about them being loaded
        • if the gun case is "liberated" from the checked bag by a Criminal Entrepreneur, the lack of magazines frustrates the "Liberator", since the weapon is now initially a single shot one
    4. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
      • To determine if the ammo
        • MUST be in boxes (plastic reload boxes work)
        • can fly in loaded magazines
      • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazine top where the cartridges are visible.
      • The round(s) from the chamber(s)/cylinder(s) must be in a box, not loose
    5. Secure and protect magazines (separately from the weapon) and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
    6. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in.
      • If possible, develop a way to attach - in a lockable way - the hard-sided case to the piece of luggage it has been placed into.
      • The labeling should be limited to:
        • Your Name
        • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
        • Your personal email address - if you have one
        • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
    7. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
    8. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
    9. Make sure you have the keys/combinations to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case:
      • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in (a signed form/tag indicating that will go in with the weapon(s))
      • if the TSA wants to see
    10. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
      • airline
      • FAA Regional Office
      • ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1. Check Handgunlaw.us and/or Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps to determine:
      • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops
      • Where and how you can carry at all your stops
      • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting
    2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/doj_doc_nyc_air.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

I have had trouble a few times in the past. But I'm in Canada, and despite our gun-toting redneck reputation, our gun laws do not allow for concealed carry except for certain employment - usually in the law enforcement field.

Quote Originally Posted by FireStar M40 View Post
    If you're going to do what you've just written.. DON'T!!

New York State only recognizes their own "LCP".. and NO ONE ELSES! And what ever you do, don't try this in NYC. It's even worse than the rest of the state. The State even requires you to go through all the BS and get a license (some counties are harder than others to do so and you end up with restrictions, with the up state ones being somewhat easier), to purchase.

Ask some of those around here (who show NY as their location), for additional info on what you want to do. Don't want to see you get in trouble and lose your 2A rights in your future years.

FireStar M40
    I'm a LEO, otherwise I wouldnt take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Medic30 View Post
    I've flown in and out of both LAX with both handguns and long guns. Even California it was fast and easy. If your worried about having your weapons played with, rest assured. You are required to have a locking case for your firearm. No ammo though, as much as i do not like having to find somewhere to buy Hornady tap rounds in california. I showed the firearm, that it was unloaded, she placed a little card in the case, had me lock it, place it in my bag, then buisness as usuall.
    You can transport ammunition in your checked bag or in the locked gun case. I always empty my mags into the appropriate ammo box and lock it in with my gun. When I arrive at my destination I load up and I'm good to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links