Traveling through PA into WV

This is a discussion on Traveling through PA into WV within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to be traveling to morgantown in the near future. I have never carried outside of Ohio and am not sure on the ...

Thread: Traveling through PA into WV

Traveling through PA into WV

I am going to be traveling to morgantown in the near future. I have never carried outside of Ohio and am not sure on the laws in the other states. Are there any odd rules I have to be aware of?

My main issue would be how to handle the firearm in the vehicle. If it is concealed on my person I imagine I will have no issues on foot or in a vehicle in WV. But PA does not honor Ohio CCW. Will I be required to disarm and store an unloaded firearm in my car as I drive through the state? Or could I open carry it while I drive?

BTW, anyone in WV know of anything fun to do around Morgantown? Any ranges or anything? I might as well bring some guns and shoot them.

I hope this is all organized clearly. I brewed some ice coffee way too strong and cant focus at all

2. Remove Ads

"(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree."
    (without a license, yes you must disarm)

Without your permit you must disarm, store the weapon and ammo in a separate inaccessible compartment of the vehicle. PA actually has much more relaxed wording then some other states - PA only requires the weapon be unloaded.
    Pennsylvania Firearm/Gun Law

" (8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm."

Best practice is to unload and lock the ammo and firearm up separately in the trunk. AFAIK this covers you in every state.

My grandfather lives outside of Charlestown so we used to drive out into the coal hills near there. I remember feeling like the car was always gonna fall off the side of the road on those country roads - and God forbid if you a car going the other way :)

You should check out this website for your who honors what permit questions : Carry Concealed
    *edit*
    I should probably offer you http://handgunlaw.us/ instead of/inaddition to the above. It seems more popular over here.
    Last edited by majorwoo; July 1st, 2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added link

You OH permit will cover you while driving thru PA. It will not cover you if you get out of the car though.

18 PA CS 6106

18 Pa.C.S. 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license
    (a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

...snip....

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

PA is open carry. Having the loaded gun on you - not following federal regulations for interstate travel - is illegal while driving. In other words, you can carry the gun into the restaurant to eat and drink openly, fuel your car at the pump openly, go into the convenience store to get some coffee openly, but you have to unload and store while driving.

See Pennsylvania Open Carry Gun Laws, Information, Fliers and Forum - paopencarry.org
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

VIP Member
    WV honors Ohio permits. You shuldn't have any problems there. Ohio is much more restrictive than WV. Avoid shcools and courthouses and you are good to go.

For more info look here:
    Handgunlaw.us
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Lost of good restaurants and stuff in Motown, especially when college is in session. As far as gun shops and ranges, I recommend Marstillers Gun Shop. Google it for an address. They have a range and nice little shop. Pretty much the go to shop in Morgantown. Morgantown was voted as one of the best small cities in America a few yeaers back. Two good size shoppingmalls if you are into that. Right outside of town is Cheat lake and River, there is whitewater rafting available and other activities. I worked in that town for several years. If you come in the fall Saturdays are Mountaineer game day and you either go to the game or dont travel in town.

As far as carry your permit is recognized. No carry on to school or government grounds. The majority of the town has some form of university building on it so be careful there. Open carry is legal "as long as you are on foot and engaging in legal activity" as written in State Code.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by GHFLRLTD View Post
    PA is open carry. Having the loaded gun on you - not following federal regulations for interstate travel - is illegal while driving. In other words, you can carry the gun into the restaurant to eat and drink openly, fuel your car at the pump openly, go into the convenience store to get some coffee openly, but you have to unload and store while driving.

See Pennsylvania Open Carry Gun Laws, Information, Fliers and Forum - paopencarry.org
    I agree that Open carry he will be fine....but the OP's OH permit will cover him to carry loaded while in the car.

Links