Getting Carry Permit

Getting Carry Permit

This is a discussion on Getting Carry Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SO TODAY I MADE AN APPOINTMENT TO DROP OFF MY APPLICATION TO GET MY PERMIT. IT COULD NOT HAVE GONE ANY BETTER. I WALKED IN ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting Carry Permit

SO TODAY I MADE AN APPOINTMENT TO DROP OFF MY APPLICATION TO GET MY PERMIT. IT COULD NOT HAVE GONE ANY BETTER. I WALKED IN A LITTLE LATE BECAUSE I WENT THROUGH MEDINA, OH SQUARE AND FOR PEOPLE THAT LIVE AROUND THERE IT SUCKS. SO I WALKED IN AND SHE WAS REAL NICE AND GAVE ME A COUPLE OF TIPS AND BOOKS TO READ. SHE ALSO ASKED ME TO READ SOME STATEMENT SAYING THAT I CAN BE PUT ON SOME FBI WEBSITE WHICH WAS REALLY ODD. SO SHE HAD A SCANNER TYPE OF DEAL THAT TOOK MY FINGER PRINT. (YES NO INK ON THE HAND ) SHE TOOK MY APP, MY PIC FOR THE PERMIT AND SAID SEE YOU IN ABOUT 2 DAYS. I WAS EXPECTING LIKE A WEEK OR MAYBE EVEN 2 WEEKS BUT MY HEAD ALMOST EXPLODED WHEN SHE SAID 2 DAYS. I ASKED WHY DID IT TAKE SOME OTHER COUNTIES (I.E. CUYAHOGA WHERE I FREAKING LIVE) LIKE A MONTH TO DO THEIRS. SHE SAID THEY GAVE HER PERMISSION TO RUN HER OWN BACK ROUND CHECKS. SO SHE HAS FULL CONTROL OF HOW FAST SHE CAN GET IT DONE. THE ONLY THING THAT SHE DOESN'T HAVE CONTROL ON ARE THE FINGER PRINTS.

JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE THAT WITH YOU BECAUSE I WAS SUPER EXCITED ABOUT GETTING IT SO SOON. I ALSO WANTED TO ASK CAN ANY ONE EXPLAIN TO ME A LITTLE MORE WHAT THAT THING THAT SHE WANTED ME TO READ WAS ABOUT AND DID ANYONE ELSE DO IT AS WELL.

ALSO I WANTED TO KNOW IF IT WAS THIS EASY FOR A LOT OF THE COUNTIES? IF NOT WHAT ARE SOME OF THE THINGS PEOPLE HAVE GONE THROUGH TO GET THEIRS.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Just as a personal favor , please loose the caps ( its considered shouting ) and re type your post in normal type , then i will read it lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    Just as a personal favor , please loose the caps ( its considered shouting ) and re type your post in normal type , then i will read it lol .

sorry i am so use to typing with all caps at work.

Hey elrey718, don't lose your caps altogether! For example, your last post could have been:

Sorry, I am so used to typing in all caps at work.

I don't make this post to "pile on", but to encourage you to communicate with accurate spelling, grammar and punctuation; for doing so will always make you more effective.

Good luck with getting that permit approved and issued! Let us know how it goes.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Elray Dont dispair lol , i cant or wont speel for crap nor do i punctuate well LOL . Honestly i was not trying to be a " grammer Nazi " but the caps are an issue for more than they are not in my experiance . Oh and by the way congrats on getting the permit , spend some time here reading up on things , and anything that is not clear ask about if you dont find it on a search .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I went to Portage County to get my permit in 2004. The process was very smooth, people were very friendly. It took a week, I think, to get the permit after the application was submitted. I don't recall anything about an FBI list though. Is that new? Anyone else run across this? Anyway, glad to hear about another person getting their permit in Ohio.

I have never heard anything about an FBI site and hopefully never do. I can't see anything good about having the FBI publish anything about my CCW. As for the criminal history check, ya, I understand that lady. It takes about 45 seconds to get a criminal history listing from all states, then about 45 seconds additional for each state that comes back with a return. Then you have to read them which shouldn't be hard if you've never been convicted with a felony or domestic. The entire process should not take longer then about 3-5 minutes.

Administrator

OK He's a new guy.
    He knows not to type in all caps from this point forward.
    Please cut him a break.
    No more all caps comments.

WELCOME ELREY!!

Wow, I'm envious! I applied and received my CHL in Marion county and it took nearly an agonizing month!! I'm glad to hear that it may be MUCH quicker for you! Marion City Police took and processed the application and the Marion County Sheriff's office was responsible for creating (photograph) the actual license. Supposedly, the Sheriff and Police Chief are very pro-carry, so I dunno what the hang-up was. (This was six months ago.)

The only thing that I was told to read (in my understanding) is required for all individuals who apply for a CHL in OH and that is a pamphlet called "Ohio's Concealed Carry Law". This is the only literature that I was told to read - other than NRA materials during the required training course to receive my license.

Happy and safe shooting!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

I live in a rural gun friendly county in MO. I always get faster and I must say nicer treatment than my big-city brothers do. Congrats and carry in good health.

Come to Clark County, Nevada (Sin City) and wait +6 months if they are nice to you.
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Just wanted to let everyone know that I got my permit today. It took all of 1 day to get.

Congrats elrey. In my neck of the woods, it takes about 4 to 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by elrey718
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I got my permit today. It took all of 1 day to get.
    Not fair! I'm on day 21! lol But they did say it usually only takes about 2-3 weeks, so it's not that bad. Maybe mine will come later this week?

But really, happy permit day!

In Las Vegas...

they say it takes four to six months or more to get your CCW. This is an excruciating and ridiculous length of time. I wonder what that is all about? It doesn't make sense. The applicant has already had a background check at least once when they purchased the gun that they used to qualify for CCW with and in most cases, I would assume that the applicant has had their background checked numerous times (since many of us own several handguns). What is the holdup?

Is the CCW background check different than the usual handgun background check?

I have had many background checks and my fingerprints have been on file for years for my work card. Does the application just sit on someone's desk for six months?

I applied for CCW because the crime against persons has risen dramatically in the past year or so. I no longer consider CCW as just another right that I could exercise but as an absolute necessity. It pains me that as a law abiding citizen that I even have to go through this process to carry. I want full protection now. When I purchase a new handgun, the background check is done when I am in the store, in one minute. Why couldn't the background check be done when I was getting my picture and fingerprints taken for over an hour? I should have been able to leave with my card in hand.

I understand that things take some time but a wait of more than a week or two is inexcusable. I wonder if anything happened to me, in the interim, like a mugging, stabbing or shooting, if I would have any recourse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links