May have to reconsider chambering a round. - Page 5

May have to reconsider chambering a round.

This is a discussion on May have to reconsider chambering a round. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zacii I don't carry one in the chamber, either. Instead, I carry with 5 in the cylinder Well said. On that note, ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: May have to reconsider chambering a round.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I don't carry one in the chamber, either.

Instead, I carry with 5 in the cylinder

Well said.
    On that note, would the OP consider carrying a revolver if he is so concerned about this?

Senior Moderator
    KINDLY CEASE THE PERSONAL COMMENTARY AND DISCUSS THE THREAD TOPIC, NOT THE PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES OF OTHER POSTERS.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I got a question on topic for the hive.
    Would you rather see the OP carry unchambered or not carry at all?
    Some would say there is little difference but others might think different. What does the hive think? Personally unchambered or not at all would not help the OP but at least if he is carrying mabe he would have time to help others or stop a mass shooting if he wasn't the first to go down. So I would vote for carry but if you want the best chance to make it home you have to carry one in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant View Post
    Personally, it really doesn't matter if he carries his Taurus TCP, Glock, or any other gun with a round in the chamber or not. It doesn't matter if he carries his gun in his holster and the bullets in his pocket.

It's his life, his decision, and he has the right to be as cavalier with it as he wishes.
    TheGiant and TSiWRX like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Though I still don't understand the O.P's logic, since he seems to maybe have learned I'm happy.

You know, When I started carrying (years ago) I think that for one month or so I was carrying unchambered because of concerns about safety.
    What I did is that I started reading/researching more about the safety mechanisms of the guns I owned, videos, etc. And basically answering all my specifics concerns about the subject...

Now I always carry with one on the chamber without any concern about safety. But again in my case, I did my research and made sure that I understand everything about the gun I choose to carry. (good holster, etc, etc)

Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant View Post
    Some would say there is little difference but others might think different. What does the hive think? Personally unchambered or not at all would not help the OP but at least if he is carrying mabe he would have time to help others or stop a mass shooting if he wasn't the first to go down. So I would vote for carry but if you want the best chance to make it home you have to carry one in the chamber.
    concern for the safety of others as well as himself yields--NOT AT ALL
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Okay guys.. I really hate that we've come to the insult fest again.. Let me clear some things up and explain what is wrong with this forum and some of the people on it:

When a person (not just me, I've seen others) comes to this forum and admits a mistake, the response should be something like this:

"Wow, I'm glad you learned your lesson on that. Thanks for posting so that nobody else will make that mistake."

.....If it turns out I'm wrong, then I will happily admit it. That's the kind of person I am. If you knew me better, then you'd already know that.
    But I don't really think that you are willing to entertain any of our recommendations/suggestions - until you've, yourself, run into a situation which proved it....and even then, you'll say that it was never brought to your attention. In going back to your OP for this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    As most know, I've been involved in many arguments on here about chambered vs. unchambered. There have been many valid points brought up in the past which suggest chambering may be the right way to go. But so far have not been sufficient to change my mind. However, something happened today which nobody has ever mentioned and I had never thought of before. My wife and I went to the range today and I decided to shoot my little Taurus TCP 738. I actually rarely shoot that gun, because it is not fun to shoot. But with the hot weather lately, I've been carrying it more and more because it is much easier to conceal when wearing shorts and a t-shirt. So I figured if I carry this thing, I should put some rounds through it. Well, as many know it has been quite hot around here lately. It was 102 degrees outside today. When I first got into the range, I was still sweating from being outside. I was unable to chamber a round in that TCP because the slide is so small, has such a strong spring, and my hands were sweaty. My hand would literally just slide right off the slide like it was coated in vaseline or something. My wife tried and also was unable to do it. After I rubbed my hands on my shorts to dry them off a bit, I was finally able to do it. I could just see myself trying to chamber a round with sweaty hands while the BG is trying to kill me.
    As I said in my earlier reply, in our discussions on finding a pistol for your wife, I mentioned how hard it could be to power-stroke the smaller autopistols (REF: Need advice for wife.). I even felt bad enough about having forgotten to tell you to check this, with wet hands or in using alternate-methods, to have apologized for my oversight, in that reply, and to have said, specifically - like many others here - that we are glad you found about this on the range, rather than on the street.

But that wasn't the only mention, and what's more, the next two even specifically mentioned the "wet hands" scenario.

I then went on to cite QKshooter's post: Preparedness Discussion Thread For Those Who Carry Unchambered .

And later, NC Bullseye pointed out that he'd also brought up this very specific concern: Preparedness Discussion Thread For Those Who Carry Unchambered .

At this point, adric22, I'm not sure if you're simply tuning out those who are trying to give you good information - albeit information you may not inherently agree with - or if you're missing the details because you're either not reading the full posts or deciding to "selectively hear" what you want to hear, and see only what you want to see.

I understand why you want to carry with an empty chamber.

Although I don't agree with it, I can respect the decision.

I know, from having tested my airsoft KSC Glock 18C replica (with metal slide and slightly stronger recoil spring) with my daughter (who is 5 and 1/2) that while she can easily cycle the slide to "load and make ready" that replica, she absolutely lacks the outright strength to powerstroke the slide on even my "easiest to rack" firearm, my full-sized and well-used XDm9. This is not a weak little girl - she can take her 40-pound frame from one side of the monkey-bars to another, and dangle for an infuriatingly long period of time using her fingers and hands.

Yet, I do not trust an "unloaded chamber" and the need to cycle the slide to load a round as a viable safety protocol - i.e. what would happen when this little monkey gets her hand on the pistol, and somehow managed to catch the rear sight on a chair or table as she was falling forward? She has more than sufficient grip-strength to properly actuate the grip-safety: holding on to the pistol's grip with just one of her hands, I can cycle the slide back for her. To me, that's not enough safety.

You're right, no gun has ND'ed without a round in the chamber. That's physically impossible.

But not having a round in the chamber is no guaranty that an ND cannot happen, given any one set of circumstances. Basic safety is a must.

You say that you want to carry with an empty chamber, ostensibly, to make it more safe for you and your family - but your practices with firearms-and-airsoft "mixing" (it's not "bizarre" that your child came to you with a real firearm instead of an airsoft replica - I've known grown men and women, who are actually quite gun-wise, to actually make the same mistake) shows fundamental errors which need to be corrected, specifically in the safety/safe-handling of firearms.

I can respect the decisions of those who don't carry with one in the pipe.

I can respect the decisions of those who don't carry at all.

I can respect the decisions of those who simply choose not to fight back.

That's their decision.

But what I will debate with such individuals are the "reasons why" they've made such choices - if I think that their thought-process have been in-error (I actually do *NOT* believe that this is a problem with you; I think that your reasoning is valid), if their practices are self-contradictory in-execution (here, I find only that your lack of basic safety to be an issue - that you are, in my view, too lax in your gun-safety when you perceive everything to be safe and under control), or if I do not believe that the person has done his or her due-diligence in making sure that what they believe to be true actually measures up to the real world, and that they are (truly* ready for and accepting of the consequences.

It is this last area in which I worry about you the most, and which is proven by how you said that none of us warned you about the issue you've brought up in the OP for this thread....but which clearly has been explored.

I think that you need more due-diligence in your training - not so that you'll somehow magically be converted to "+1 carry" or "Condition I" carry - but so that you will get out there and actually train, so that you'll truly understand what those compromises that you've made will demand of you when the chips are down.

Stay safe.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

OP: you are doing exactly the opposite of what you were encouraged to do--read more, post less. As a result, you're drawing fire to yourself...and instead of owning up to your mistakes, you continue to deflect and make excuses for your previously admitted actions.

No one is picking on you or calling you names, but you need to stop digging yourself deeper. Admit your mistakes, and move on...

You've already learned trying to chamber a round under stress won't work....hopefully you will grow in your experience and start carrying like a responsible adult.
    claude clay likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by DAtrigger View Post
    Well said.
    On that note, would the OP consider carrying a revolver if he is so concerned about this?
    That was my initial thought. And I sometimes carry a revolver, esp if I am going to load/unload or move gun around a lot.

I realize everyone has different comfort levels. But I would gladly trade the mag capacity of semi auto for the response time of revolver over unchambered semi auto.

And if person still has concerns there is always the magna trigger conversion for a revolver, that requires you wear a special ring to make the revolver operate. Link.

Gun Safety Add-ons, Smart Guns, Magna-Trigger

Also a lot of security holsters out there that can be fast with practice and don't require use of two hands.

Hey, I didn't attack you. I said I was glad you are still thinking about it. You realized something at the range and I think that's a good thing. I am hoping that you'll keep thinking about it and realize that one in the chamber is actually the only way to carry whether it takes time for you to realize it or not, you are at least considering it. As far as your asking for stats on AD vs unchambered? You gotta realize those were NDs and not ADs. A ND lies soley at the feet of the person that pulled the darn trigger. Training and mindset fixes that because modern handguns just don't go bang by themselves. I hope you keep thinking about it and whatever you decide I hope you keep carrying and stay safe.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Senior Moderator
    It appears that this thread has run its course and all that needs to be said has been said.
    In the interest of keeping the peace, I am closing it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links