Carrying out of state

Carrying out of state

This is a discussion on Carrying out of state within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me and some buddies went to the Heavy Rebel Weekender in Winston-Salem NC this weekend. I took my retro hippy-mobile for the car show and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BugDude

Thread: Carrying out of state

Carrying out of state

Me and some buddies went to the Heavy Rebel Weekender in Winston-Salem NC this weekend. I took my retro hippy-mobile for the car show and we stayed for the bands and other entertainment last night. Travelling to NC often I have to stay on top of their carry laws as well as Virginia. I was legal to carry at the car show, but cable locked it (xd40sc) to the seat frame (through the grip and slide) of my car during lunch (NC is a no carry in place that serves alcohol). That evening, I had to take it to the hotel room a block over from the huge building all the bands and stuff were in since it both charged admission and sold alcohol. No problem knowing and complying and we had a really good time and I enjoy the event every year. I chatted with a local LEO for a while (they were everywhere) and he said they rarely have any problems at all (which is amazing considering the amount of beer that is consumed). He said the only bad part is the heat having to wear the dark uniform and vest. I can't imagine because I was about to fry in shorts and a light shirt. My only point of true discomfort was when I was ready to head back to the hotel and my buddies weren't. I've got a broken foot in an aircast and I was on my feel A LOT and I was ready to crash about 10:00. I had to hobble a block alone at night in downtown Winston-Salem. I just had to put my SA on high octane and be smart about my route (lighting, nothing for someone to hide behind, etc.).

The event is basically a retro 50s greaser theme with a few twists. The car show is basically DIY hot rods. No trailer queens or muscle cary. Mostly flat black, primer, or rusted/patina rat rods. Lots of guys and gals dress in theme (Greese / Betty Boop, etc.) and Pabst Blue Ribbon is everywhere. For me, the NC laws regarding carry are frustrating. Because other people want to drink I can't carry. It doesn't make much sense to me. Times like this is when I really appreciate living in Virginia (where I could have carried the whole time as long as I did not drink, which would have been no problem). Hopefully NC will come around in time. I knew all of this ahead of time, so it was a decision I made to attend and I accepted the challenges and frustrations with regard to carry and stayed within the strict limits of the law. Both of my buddies that attended have their permits but neither took anything because they were not familiar with NC laws. This is where a little bit of education before a trip meant the difference between my carrying 70% of the time and on the way down, in the hotel room, and back and them not carrying at all. One of them told me, "I knew you'd know the laws inside and out and would be carrying when possible." Thanks to this forum and the resources here, I was educated and prepared for the trip.
    TBob likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Now if we can just get you mobile on both feet without one or the other getting in the way.

Cut us some slack, we at least finally figured out the difference between "Castle Doctrine" and "Mobile Home Doctrine". Next is the alcohol and admission rules.

Glad you had a good time, and made it back safely!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Sounds like you and your buddies had a good time. I wish I had the time to prepare for my trip. I did print the reciprocity but not the rules =( thankfully one post here cleared a lot of the mystery for me.

NC is taking baby steps in the right direction but they are in no hurry, maybe one day.

I feel the same way about other people's drinking. In Washington it is illegal to carry a firearm into any place that is off limit's to minors. This means any place/portion of the restaurant that serves hard liquor. Many good restaurants that have a bar, choose to make the entire place a bar in an effort to combat annoying children and have a more adult atmosphere. Because of this many times I am forced between going to dinner unarmed, or not going. Locking my gun in my car is impossible, seeing as I am a student living in the city who doesn't own a car. I would much rather see heavy penalties for people who drink in public with a firearm, rather than penalties for people if they walk through a door into a private business.
    /end rant

They don't ban all people from driving to a restaurant that serves alcohol just because some people might drive after they drink, so why ban all people from carrying in a restaurant? Responsible gun owners are paying the price for irresponsible drinkers. What sense does that make? Why not penalize the irresponsible drinkers??? It's a subject that really gets me fired up. Drugs and alcohol have ruined so many lives and are taking a serious toll on society as a whole. I'm not a staunch anti-alcohol person or anything, but if I enjoy I do so responsibly. Priorities just have to be right.

TN changed the law a couple of years ago to allow carry in a place that serves alcohol BUT you can not consume alcohol. Sort of the "designated shooter"! Exception is if the place is posted prohibiting weapons. Posting here carries the "force of law" so you will be arested and lose your permit. Also, TN issues a handgun CARRY permit--no mention of open or concealed. Most seem to CC

Quote Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
    TN changed the law a couple of years ago to allow carry in a place that serves alcohol BUT you can not consume alcohol. Sort of the "designated shooter"! Exception is if the place is posted prohibiting weapons. Posting here carries the "force of law" so you will be arested and lose your permit. Also, TN issues a handgun CARRY permit--no mention of open or concealed. Most seem to CC
    Virginia just changed it a year ago, with the same provision that you cannot consume. I have no issue with that provision. Same deal on posting, except here posting a sign does not have force of law, just a trespass. Virginia is a OC state. Before the law change here a year ago, you could carry in a place that serves but it had to be Open Carry (the old Virginia Tuck as it was called by tucking your shirt behind your holstered handgun). In that instance, it was legal to OC and consume and it still is...only CC are you prohibited from consuming. I choose to not consume at all if I am carrying...just my personal position.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
    Exception is if the place is posted prohibiting weapons. Posting here carries the "force of law" so you will be arested and lose your permit.
    That's not true. The maximum penalty for violating a 39-17-1359 posting is a $500 fine.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Sponsored Links