Trauma Kits: Do you have one nearby? - Page 3

Trauma Kits: Do you have one nearby?

This is a discussion on Trauma Kits: Do you have one nearby? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is a good winter project for one of our resident EMTs who has videography skills (or a friend with those skills). I have heard ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Trauma Kits: Do you have one nearby?

VIP Member
    Here is a good winter project for one of our resident EMTs who has videography skills (or a friend with those skills). I have heard a few people state that they took first aid in Boy Scouts or a long time ago. This is true of me as well. In addition, those skills probably did not include what amounts to battle field wound care. I have a trauma kit in both cars and I have read up on how to use the products, but a video from one of our EMTs on this topic could be valuable to us all. i would skip the splinter removal and cut finger stuff, I think we all know what to do there, and instead focus on the truly life threatening situation we could face if we or somebody else is shot. Just my HO, but I think it could be useful.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I'll also add, I was an EMT for many years, plus the medical training I received before each deployment--and maintain these skills with some medic (flight & ground) friends of mine...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Ksholder, that kind of video series would be very useful. Another good source of materials is the First Aid section on the Zombie Squad forum. Zombie Squad &bull; View forum - First AidThere are extensive links to training materials, sources for supples and some general good advice on many things both practical and esoteric. You have to take some of the content there with a grain of salt because many of the posters seem to be preparing for the end of the world as we know it, but I have found the forum to have a wealth of good information. I have to admit that before I first looked at that forum a couple of years ago I had no idea that some people are as obsessive about things like medical bags and brands of first aid supplies as many DC members are about holsters and ammunition :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    I put this in the CC Issues & Discussion forum because it's relevant to what people carry on a regular basis.

Do you carry a trauma kit on a daily basis for post fight self care, or for those times when you walk into an accident and realize "Hey, Jane & Tom were doing the Nasty on the copy machine, and somehow the glass broke and one of them is bleeding...Call 911, get this on tape for you-tube and someone get me my bag with the quick clot in it or we are going to have to get another IT guy!!"

I have 2 pocket kits and one larger "O-S Bag" (It is only grabbed when you hear the OH...T! really loud...)

One of my pocket kits is a Blueline Tactical ResQ-PAK Level 1

Contents (5 oz.):

HemCon ChitoGauze™
    4” x 4”, 8 ply (total length: 32”)
    5” x 9” ABD pad
    4” x 75” roll bandage
    40” x 40” x 56” triangular bandage
    two sets 4” x 3” cover sponges
    combat medic tape
    non-latex gloves

The other is Adventure Medical Kit Trauma Pak with QuikClot

Bandage Materials
    1 Bandage, Conforming Gauze, 3"
    1 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2
    1 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 4" x 4", Pkg./2

Bleeding
    1 Gloves, Nitrile (Pair), Hand Wipe
    1 QuikClot Sport 25g
    1 Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"

Duct Tape
    1 Duct Tape, 2" x 26"

Fracture / Sprain
    1 Bandage, Triangular

Wound Care
    4 After Cuts & Scrapes Antiseptic Wipe

They are light, compact and if you are around guns, essential to have on hand.

You know, because a ND will never happen to you...but you need to be prepared for the other guy's...

Also, for post fight self care. Winning the fight only to die of a GSW would...suck?

They aren't full up EMT kits, but they can help you live long enough to get into EMT's hands.

Also good for bystanders/family who get injured. Seeing the kids you were protecting die because you didn't have something to plug the bleeder would be, um...what's the word I'm looking for...bad? Depressing? Material for an alcohol induced, shotgun assisted suicide?

Are they complete? No. You need to supplement with training, a tourniquet & real chest seals wouldn't hurt...but for something in the shooting bag, coat pocket, diaper bag, glove box, trunk....you can do worse.

Like nothing...

The best part...the Adventure Medical Kit...$20 out the door at sporting goods stores.

The Blueline Tactical ResQ-PAKs...more expensive, but more compact. It's much more pocket friendly, so use that as 1st line, coat pocket gear because it does fit that well into your pockets.
    If all that is relevant for "people who carry", wouldn't it be relevant for everyone to have their own trauma kit, carrier or not?

Dr John Meade, affiliated with Suarez Int'l, teaches courses in combat medicine, if you are so interested. FYI.

I've emailed back and forth with him several times - he's a good guy.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have gauze and ace wraps for pressure. lots of supplies lying around in my hospital so i just take em home
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

I have a basic gunshot kit. I'm not a Dr. or EMT so my goal is to at least have something to buy time untill the proper folks arrive
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

In the case of a gunshot wound, don't you need two of those Quick Clot bandages. If you stop bleeding on the entry wound wouldn't it bleed out the exit wound?

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    In the case of a gunshot wound, don't you need two of those Quick Clot bandages. If you stop bleeding on the entry wound wouldn't it bleed out the exit wound?
    Ideally, there is no exit wound.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Ideally, there is no exit wound.
    Also items like quick clot are a last resort. In case they can do more harm then good
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Also Quick Clot, Celox and the other hemostatic clotting agents have about a 5 year shelf life. So you're going to have to replace it on a rotational basis. It will be an added expense to keep in your trauma kits.

However, for wounds on the torso or other areas where a tourniquet is not able to be applied, it can be a lifesaver.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Not sure you can veiw these if not a member but here is links to some training video by Dr. John Meade and CR Williams.

first one
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/vid...t-to-look-for/

second one
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/vid...ging-the-gaps/
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Okat, so it sounds like someone like me who fumbles putting on a bandaid shouldn't even pack the Quick Clot. I can wrap & do direct pressure; even had some cpr training, but don't want to take the chance on making a bad situation worse.

The range has stuff and trained people, and I don't get out much further than that so I'll just let it be. I do have the first aid kit a medic put together for me in the service 47 years ago. Hasn't been used so it should still be good, or good nuff.

FWIW I had a buddy who was hit by a ricochet at an IDPA match today, their trauma kit was not up to snuff, fortunately things worked out and he is ok, but with a chunk of lead/steel in his jaw. Having a kit that is well stocked can make a huge difference.

When I wrote my post above about having trauma kits in the car and at home, I was thinking I was fairly well prepared. I recently read something to the effect that a bleed out from a carotid artery takes perhaps 2 minutes, if the femoral is severed, perhaps 5 minutes. If I am on the range and am shot or need to help someone else who is, by the time I get to the car and back they may be dead and of course if I am shot, I am not going to be doing much running:-). The point is a trauma kit that is not within arm's reach is about as useful for a trauma as a gun that is not within arm's reach when you need a gun NOW!

So, lesson learned, I built myself another, smaller blowout kit for the range bag and for hunting/hiking. This one consists of two pair of gloves, EMT scissors, a tourniquet, an Israeli bandage, two rolls of Kerlix and a 10 ft roll of duct tape, a Celox chitosan bandage, a Hyfin chest seal and a Nasal airway with lube. The total investment was about $70 and half of that is for the Celox bandage (which you could add later or eliminate). The kit fits in a gallon ziplock that measures 8x5x3 when folded and it can fit in either a pocket of my range bag or in a cargo pocket.
    Bark'n likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links