Trauma Kits: Do you have one nearby?

This is a discussion on Trauma Kits: Do you have one nearby? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I put this in the CC Issues & Discussion forum because it's relevant to what people carry on a regular basis. Do you carry a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Trauma Kits: Do you have one nearby?

I put this in the CC Issues & Discussion forum because it's relevant to what people carry on a regular basis.

Do you carry a trauma kit on a daily basis for post fight self care, or for those times when you walk into an accident and realize "Hey, Jane & Tom were doing the Nasty on the copy machine, and somehow the glass broke and one of them is bleeding...Call 911, get this on tape for you-tube and someone get me my bag with the quick clot in it or we are going to have to get another IT guy!!"

I have 2 pocket kits and one larger "O-S Bag" (It is only grabbed when you hear the OH...T! really loud...)

One of my pocket kits is a Blueline Tactical ResQ-PAK Level 1

Contents (5 oz.):

HemCon ChitoGauze™
    4” x 4”, 8 ply (total length: 32”)
    5” x 9” ABD pad
    4” x 75” roll bandage
    40” x 40” x 56” triangular bandage
    two sets 4” x 3” cover sponges
    combat medic tape
    non-latex gloves

The other is Adventure Medical Kit Trauma Pak with QuikClot

Bandage Materials
    1 Bandage, Conforming Gauze, 3"
    1 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2
    1 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 4" x 4", Pkg./2

Bleeding
    1 Gloves, Nitrile (Pair), Hand Wipe
    1 QuikClot Sport 25g
    1 Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"

Duct Tape
    1 Duct Tape, 2" x 26"

Fracture / Sprain
    1 Bandage, Triangular

Wound Care
    4 After Cuts & Scrapes Antiseptic Wipe

They are light, compact and if you are around guns, essential to have on hand.

You know, because a ND will never happen to you...but you need to be prepared for the other guy's...

Also, for post fight self care. Winning the fight only to die of a GSW would...suck?

They aren't full up EMT kits, but they can help you live long enough to get into EMT's hands.

Also good for bystanders/family who get injured. Seeing the kids you were protecting die because you didn't have something to plug the bleeder would be, um...what's the word I'm looking for...bad? Depressing? Material for an alcohol induced, shotgun assisted suicide?

Are they complete? No. You need to supplement with training, a tourniquet & real chest seals wouldn't hurt...but for something in the shooting bag, coat pocket, diaper bag, glove box, trunk....you can do worse.

Like nothing...

The best part...the Adventure Medical Kit...$20 out the door at sporting goods stores.

The Blueline Tactical ResQ-PAKs...more expensive, but more compact. It's much more pocket friendly, so use that as 1st line, coat pocket gear because it does fit that well into your pockets.
    9MMare, TVJ and Bark'n like this.

Senior Moderator
    Of course, even more important than having a trauma kit is knowing how to use it. You can have a stockroom full of gauze and instruments and dressings, but if you don't have the skills to properly manage the injury at hand.....

MitchellCT is absolutely correct that we should each have a decent first aid kit handy. We should also all know CPR. Statistically, you're more likely to use one of those to help a family member than you are to use a gun for the same purpose.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I keep a backpack w some base med stuff in it. Unfortunately, so far my trauma training consists of: Put something on it, or Put something in it.

dan

It drives my wife nuts, but I have a trauma kit everywhere we go...especially on long driving trips (CONUS and Germany). Not because I'm worried about an ND or post-defensive shooting care.....it's just the Eagle Scout in me that causes me to "Be Prepared"--you never know when you'll drive up on to an accident and be the first responder. Not to mention we do a lot of camping, and medical care may be hours away.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

We have a med kit as part of our home prep, but out on the road I carry only my phone and my BS/BC card.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have one of the Gall's mini-medic first responder kits that I added some extra goodies too that I keep in my car. I can handle the level of care that it would allow me to provide, as I had a large amount of medical training, and some trauma care experience during my military service. I can at least stop bleeding and stabilize to get to a higher level of care.

But I don't carry a trauma kit with me at all times. The biggest thing is stopping the bleeding, or if there is a sucking chest wound, plugging that. A real occlusive dressing works best for chest wounds, but in a pinch we were trained to use MRE bags or any other plastic type wrapper for that. And if I have time to be treating someone's wounds, I have time for placing direct pressure onto the wound, or making an expedient tourniquet (although a CAAT tourniquet is nice).

So I keep a pretty well stocked one in the car, but don't feel the need to add it to my EDC gear.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have some basic first aid supplies in my BOB, I need to buy a formal blow out trauma kit.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I always have a first-aid kit with me wherever I go. For my EDC bag, I always have a small first-aid kit with bandages, shears, quick-clot, gauze, latex gloves, medical tape, ibuprofen, immodium, Advil, cold medicine, prescription medicines, etc.. In my car I keep a large first aid kit with the same contents as the EDC first-aid kit but in larger quantity and also stocked with a Trauma Kit from ITS Tactical which includes Quickclot, Halo Chest Seal, Mojodart Decompression Needle, Naso Airway Adj., Israeli Dressing, Ace Bandage, Z-Pak Gauze, Nitrile Gloves, Pencil, SOF Tactical Tourniquet and Mojo Medical Shears. I also keep one of these Trauma Kits by ITS Tactical in my Range Bag, since it is perfect for the treatment of gun shot wounds. For vacations (airline travel), I carry a World Travel first-aid kit by Adventure Medical Kits and stocked with a few extra items I might need.

I think that it is critical to be prepared for an emergency with all kinds of first-aid kits, but most important is to know the contents of the kit and how to use them. I took some CPR and First Aid Courses at a local Paramedic school in Costa Rica.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I have a decent one in my car BOB, but that's about it.

At home, my BOB is not really.....bagged, nor are the first aid supplies.

Should get all that together again. Sometimes I feel like out here in the country, I have alot of time to react to things. But I know that's not necessarily true.

I do carry a small one when hiking tho, but then again, nothing while riding.

Oh, and bandaids in my purse
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Yep - one in each car.

And that's great advice, too.

You might think EMT's and medics are always prepared for such emergencies, but you'd be incorrect. Of all the people I go shooting with who are either EMT's or paramedics, I'm the only one who will not go shooting without a decent trauma bag which includes GSW (gun shot wound) mini-kits.

Ironically, I do go shooting with a few other people who do have some sort of first aid kit.

While I don't carry a mini-trauma kit on my person as part of my EDC (and I probably should), I do have trauma kits in all of my vehicles for daily use. If I travel any significant distance I do bring my BOB which has a pretty decent comprehensive medical kit, plus a major medical/trauma kit along with the normal vehicle first aid kit.

Regardless of which first aid kit I have, they all have capability to control major hemorrhage, and most have a specific GSW mini blow out kit within.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I keep a first aid kit in my going to work bag. I'm a trucker and that bag goes with me everywhere while I'm working. When I'm home, not at all. This does remind me to put together a kit for the glove box though.
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I carry a BLS bag in my truck at all times, you name the injury I can treat it. In Theroy, seeing as how I got trained and have not had to treat any injuries other than my own
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I have a pretty well-stocked bag in the trunk, and a bigger one in the house. That said, my part-time gig is working County EMS, so I'm also the neighborhood triage station when one of the local rug-rats stubs a toe or dad misses with a hammer. I'd encourage everyone to take at least a Basic First Aid-level course; tools are only useful if you know how to use them.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

I carry a London Bridge Trading Company version of the STOMP II almost all the time in my truck. I also carry a small trauma kit in my daily pack. I also have a trauma kit dedicated to my range back.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links