Bugout bag/ammo trade off?

This is a discussion on Bugout bag/ammo trade off? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi folks. Mitchell's first aid kit thread made me think about this. In terms of quick mobility and weight, how much of my 9mm ammo ...

Hi folks. Mitchell's first aid kit thread made me think about this.

In terms of quick mobility and weight, how much of my 9mm ammo should I include in my home BOB? What are the things I should sacrifice for more ammo? And how much should I take if I have more time to load up the car (all of it probably?).

And what is the best way to carry it? I dont have anything special, I'm just using basic outdoor gear/bags at this point. In my car, should it be completely separate from other essentials (except for a couple of magazines-worth)?

Thanks!

(btw, I am a fan of SHTF fiction and have a fairly realistic view of 'bugging out'...of my home location and most others....but it's still something I have plans for.)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

First off, I'd recommend trying to keep your bug out gear to under 45 pounds. Generally, once you get above that amount of weight, mobility really starts to suffer. So, I would figure out how much everything else weighs, and then how much ammo you can fit in the remaining weight. Do you have a long-gun in your bug out plan? Handguns are great for concealment, not so great for stopping fights. Long guns are much better in a fight most of the time, and if there is a long gun involved, I would keep handgun ammo down to 50-100 rounds in magazines, and then the rest of the ammo weight in rifle/shotgun rounds.

I like keeping everything together in the kit in my truck, so that I can just grab one bag and run with it, without having to grab several things.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks. My firearm selection is extremely limited at this time. My 9mm, 17+1 capacity is all I'd take. Investments would include a .22 rifle and a shotgun....but dont have them now.

Here's a question tho...I also have 2 lead weights called SA .45 lc revolvers for mounted shooting competetion....they would probably be easier to maintain long-term....would ammo be any easier to come by?
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Having enough ammo is the least of your worries if you have to head to the hills.OMO
    Your gun, 6-8 mags, and a few extra boxes of ammo would be my answer, but you might not be able to carry that amount + the other stuff you will need.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Cool

I am a K.I.S.S. kind of guy so my Bug Out Bag has the ammo stored in magazines for a Glock 19 and a Stag AR-15 M-4.

Bug Out for me means just that. Minimal but required items for short term survival.

For long term the .22 rifle and 870 along with some other handguns would be thrown in a vehicle along with other equipment for long term events.

45 LC is heavy and has to be loose stored or in loops on a gunbelt so for long term, carried in a vehicle it may be ok but not in a Bug Out Bag.

It depends on where you are as to the availability of 45 LC. Here in the southen end of Florida it is a rare caliber as opposed to 9mm and .223.

OS
    Last edited by Old School; July 4th, 2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Ammo flavor and availability in a SHTF situation will be based on the area you are in. I would not count on being able to find ammo for any specific caliber one needs if one runs out. It's a Murphy's law kind of thing. For me, if I run out and find ammo with no gun to match, I move on. If I come across matching ammo and gun, I upgrade/downgrade. A bolt action .22lr and 500 rounds is better than my empty .40.

BOB weight is also dependent on the person carrying it. I could probably deal with a 50-60# bag on my back long term in the CO mountains/plains. My wife... closer to 25#. Either way, lighter, simple and essentials is always best.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

9mm 12 ga and .223 are gonna be the rounds most LE and military agencies will have a stock of if you need to scavenge long term. If you have a 9mm I would get an extra box then have about 6 mags total filled up. My BOB system is modular. I have bags in bags and "kits" for situations. Here is my grab it bag for SHTF when I need it. It holds a hand gun and 6 AR mags and approx 4 handgun mags. I keep my P228 in a holster with 4 mags and 6 loaded AR mags in it and can sling it like a man purse or attach it to a pack if need be. Works great, and relatively cheap.

Hawkepaks.com, Inc. for EMS, PPE supplies
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Thanks all. Very helpful, altho I was mostly kidding about taking the SA .45s. I have alot of 9mm ammo on hand, try to buy everytime I can, and have 6 mags I could fill.

Of course you're right....depends on the situation but the basic bug out is just that...basics. So maybe just the mags, filled.

Jwhite75 the 5.11 PushPak I often use as a carry purse is much like what you linked to...I would just clear that out of some things and add more essentials. I do want to check out more of their site tho.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Their stuff is highly underrated and in my opinion a great little secret in that type of merchandise. I love mine and plan on buying more.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Links