30.06 signs in Texas.

30.06 signs in Texas.

This is a discussion on 30.06 signs in Texas. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys. I need some input. The law clearly states that for a 30.06 sign to be legal the letters and background must be "contrasting ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 30.06 signs in Texas.

30.06 signs in Texas.

Hey guys. I need some input. The law clearly states that for a 30.06 sign to be legal the letters and background must be "contrasting colors"
    I have seen a place in town that has the correct verbage on the sign, in English and Spanish. The catch? The letters are semi transparent-grey on clear glass. Very hard to see actually. (the point, I would imagine, these signs are huge)

I am NOT asking for legal advice and anything expressed here are simply opinions. I am fully aware of this. I just wondering what you guys think? I was thinking of contacting the sheriff and talking to them.

As far as my personal opinion... Grey -transparent on clear is not contrasting. I just don't want to be a test case.

Thoughts?

Posted via Tapatalk for the HTC Evo.

VIP Member
    I would take a very cautious position on matters such as this. Legal or not. the property owner has made their wishes clear. You saw the sign. You know they don't want you there. Go somewhere else.

I've seen similar signs where the contrast was inadequate, the size a little off, but I still know what the intent of the property owner is. No need to play games and risk a conviction after extensive litigation over whether or not the sign met the letter of the law. Just stay away and take your business elsewhere or if you must enter, disarm. Its that simple.
    Rotorblade and Buckj like this.

I agree with Hopyard. If they do not want you there than take your business elsewhere. It is not worth the risk if a costly litigation based on a vaque procedure.

I don't think I would want to test it. However, If the sign was clearly not legal (i.e. the letters were too small), I would go about my business with my concealed weapon and not say a word.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Yeah agree with the other posts of if possible just do business somwhere else BUT you are right also, the law is very specific on how the sign and lettering should look.

TxDPS - CHL Sign Posting

Concealed Handgun Licensing

Sign Posting

PROHIBITING HANDGUNS IN A BUSINESS OR OTHER ENTITY
    In order to provide notice that entry on property by a license holder with a concealed handgun is forbidden, Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(A) requires that a written communication contain the following language:

"PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."
    "CONFORME A LA SECCIÓN 30.06 DEL CÔDIGO PENAL (TRASPASAR PORTANDO ARMAS DE FUEGO) PERSONAS CON LICENCIA BAJO DEL SUB-CAPITULO H, CAPITULO 411, CODIGO DE GOBIERNO (LEY DE PORTAR ARMAS), NO DEBEN ENTRAR A ESTA PROPIEDAD PORTANDO UN ARMA DE FUEGO."

Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(B) further states that a sign must meet the following requirements:

includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
    appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
    is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
    Please note that while the language provided above may be downloaded for convenience, it does not meet the requirements of Section 30.06(c)(3)(B) and may not be used as a sign.

Every sign I have seen are in black and white.Don't test it unless you want to lose your CHL.Take your business elsewhere.I have little cards I give to some of them telling them I am complying but taking my business elsewhere and telling all my gun carrying friends to go elsewhere also. sj

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    Hey guys. I need some input. The law clearly states that for a 30.06 sign to be legal the letters and background must be "contrasting colors"
    I have seen a place in town that has the correct verbage on the sign, in English and Spanish. The catch? The letters are semi transparent-grey on clear glass. Very hard to see actually. (the point, I would imagine, these signs are huge)

I am NOT asking for legal advice and anything expressed here are simply opinions. I am fully aware of this. I just wondering what you guys think? I was thinking of contacting the sheriff and talking to them.

As far as my personal opinion... Grey -transparent on clear is not contrasting. I just don't want to be a test case.

Thoughts?

Posted via Tapatalk for the HTC Evo.
    not legal

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I would take a very cautious position on matters such as this. Legal or not. the property owner has made their wishes clear. You saw the sign. You know they don't want you there. Go somewhere else.

I've seen similar signs where the contrast was inadequate, the size a little off, but I still know what the intent of the property owner is. No need to play games and risk a conviction after extensive litigation over whether or not the sign met the letter of the law. Just stay away and take your business elsewhere or if you must enter, disarm. Its that simple.

I agree.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar

These are my thoughts 100%. I don't have anything to prove or need to take any chances with my right to carry. I would disarm or go elsewhere respecting the owners wishes.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Like you, I agree that the sign is not "contrasting colors." However, a jury may not (you clearly saw the sign--contrasting or not), and neither you nor any other law-abiding Texas CC'er needs to be a test case.

Notify the business that the sign does not meet legal requirements, state the reason why, and move on in life. Perhaps you will prevent someone the legal expenses of being a test case.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I posted a similar question a few weeks ago about a 30.06 sign that was about the size of 2 credit cards (one for English, the other for Spanish) I realize the sign will not hold up in a legal situation, but I have not carried in there since. unfortunately, it is one of those things were we pre-paid for swimming lessons for my daughter and it goes on for several weeks so it isn't like I can just take my business elsewhere. However, at some point, perhaps on the last lesson, I plan to speak to a manager and explain to them that the sign is not legal but they are loosing my business and probably anyone else like me. I also plan to show them the number of people in Texas who have a CHL, to show them how much business they are loosing. Also I plan to explain if they do wish to keep the sign and enforce it then they may want to make it comply with the law in size.

That's the plan, anyway.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I'd hate to be the "test Case" on that 30.06 Sign.
    Spend your money else where.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

As has been said, I would simply take my money elsewhere. However, the sign is not legal ... but if the property owner discovers you are carrying he may simply ask you to leave, or he may call 911. You will likely beat the rap, but you will not the ride and the cost to defend yourself.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Not legal and you won't be taking any ride. Most they can do is ask you to leave. If you are concealed, they will never know.

I have made the decision to not carry there so I will explain the rest of the story.

I am part of a Pro-Life group that is holds an annual benefit banquet and silent auction. My dad is on the board of this organization and me and my wife support them as well. For the last 3 years they have had their benefit in the ballroom of this hotel. When I am at the events my SA is always on high alert. There is a lot of radical people out there that disagree and would-could come and cause damage to a lot of people at once. (500-1000 people every year)

They have every main entrance covered with a sign but there is a restaurant that has street level access that doesn't have a sign, I checked and could enter and then proceed into the hotel from there without ever seeing a sign. (Although this post would screw me in court I guess.)

I am going to try and talk to the organizers (via my dad) and see if they would consider a change of venue. I would be more than happy to go talk to the manager of the hotel and explain why we are moving the event (If I was successful in moving it.)
    Otherwise I guess I will inform him his signs are not to code and express my views on said signs. (Nicely, of course.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links