Could Use Some Clarity Please!

This is a discussion on Could Use Some Clarity Please! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, Happy 4th to Everyone, Be Safe!!!!!! Being new to this forum and new to C/C I have learned quite a bit, and appreciate all ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Agave
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: Could Use Some Clarity Please!

Could Use Some Clarity Please!

First, Happy 4th to Everyone, Be Safe!!!!!!

Being new to this forum and new to C/C I have learned quite a bit, and appreciate all the experience from LEO'S and Military.
    But some of us , myself included might be a little confused or not really sure of some of the answers given or what they mean. So here goes and here are my questions:

1) I live in GA, From what I have read the Castle Doctrine and the Stand Your Ground Rules apply ?

2) O/C (if you are a law abiding citizen) is legal without any permit? This is where I get confused.

3) As I understand it, you do not have to a c/c licence to o/c?

4) I have read several posts about Printing. I know what it means, as I am starting to learn to dress around the firearm. This can be difficult at times here in the south due to the heat and humidity.
    Been over 100+ with heat index.
    So I guess my question is. If someone can make out the outline of a firearm, or happens to get a glimpse of it cause you are wearing a t-shirt or tank top, is this considered Brandising a firearm which
    is a crime? Or dose the fact that I have a c/c permit and or that o/c is legal cover this.

These are just one of the many questions that I sometimes ask myself as I read some of the posts
    Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards,
    Tom,

Just wanted to add that I dont O/C !!
    Last edited by tclance; July 4th, 2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Do Not O/C

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Georgia doesn't have a concealed carry license. There is a Georgia Firearms License. You need it in order to carry a handgun openly or concealed.
    Hopyard and tkruf like this.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Thanks Agave,
    Keep learning as I go!
    TC

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The first thing I would do is to read the Geogia state statutes on firearms and carrying versus asking a forum for answers. State statutes trump all opinions and forums. Then, if unclear, I might ask for some explanation of some points. You might be surprised to find that some lawyers and many LEOs do not know the legalities of CC and OC, a point I made with several of the LEOs with whom I work.

There have been many firearm law changes in many states recently, my own state of FL included. Some states may not have been updated on the "official" state websites. Keep that in mind. That's where a forum helps as people get updated faster than sites.

Printing is a matter of state law and its wording. In FL it means nothing, and a recent change to law even states that momentary accidental/inadvertant open exposure of a concealed firearm is not a violation of state law.
    Old School and TVJ like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The first thing I would do is to read the Geogia state statutes on firearms and carrying versus asking a forum for answers. State statutes trump all opinions and forums. Then, if unclear, I might ask for some explanation of some points. You might be surprised to find that some lawyers and many LEOs do not know the legalities of CC and OC, a point I made with several of the LEOs with whom I work.

There have been many firearm law changes in many states recently, my own state of FL included. Some states may not have been updated on the "official" state websites. Keep that in mind. That's where a forum helps as people get updated faster than sites.

Printing is a matter of state law and its wording. In FL it means nothing, and a recent change to law even states that momentary accidental/inadvertant open exposure of a concealed firearm is not a violation of state law.
    What he said is good advice!

Here's a handy reference for you:

Handgunlaw.us

It's reasonably up-to-date, but use it as a guide to your state's laws and not as the absolute last word.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You might be surprised to find that some lawyers and many LEOs do not know the legalities of CC and OC, a point I made with several of the LEOs with whom I work.

Thanks OldVet,
    I appreciate the advice. I have read the statutes but they are kind of confusing as well. Thats why I asked for some help. I live in a small rural town.( Come from NY ) The people in the community are real nice and very laid back, but most are still stuck in the Mayberry RFD thing and are not going to change. They think IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN HERE kind of mind frame.Unfourtunatly it dose and has happened although it is always downplayed and you dont actually hear about it untill something really bad happens where as it has to be told because it makes headlines in the larger city.(50 miles away). As far as lawyers and LEO's I tend to agree with you from what Ive read on this forum. So who do I ask?

Regards,
    TC

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Go here for pertainent answers.

Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org

And this page, of the same organization for http://www.georgiapacking.org/gfl.php

Weapons Carry License Section
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Being from ga. The law states oc is legal. Cc requires a permit open doesn't require a permit in this state unless I'm behind on my laws and I don't think I am. Concealed in a vehicle is legal now in ga too, without permit

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CUMMINS View Post
    Being from ga. The law states oc is legal. Cc requires a permit open doesn't require a permit in this state unless I'm behind on my laws and I don't think I am. Concealed in a vehicle is legal now in ga too, without permit
    You are certainly behind.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by tclance View Post
    First, Happy 4th to Everyone, Be Safe!!!!!!

Being new to this forum and new to C/C I have learned quite a bit, and appreciate all the experience from LEO'S and Military.
    But some of us , myself included might be a little confused or not really sure of some of the answers given or what they mean. So here goes and here are my questions:

1) I live in GA, From what I have read the Castle Doctrine and the Stand Your Ground Rules apply ?

2) O/C (if you are a law abiding citizen) is legal without any permit? This is where I get confused.

3) As I understand it, you do not have to a c/c licence to o/c?

4) I have read several posts about Printing. I know what it means, as I am starting to learn to dress around the firearm. This can be difficult at times here in the south due to the heat and humidity.
    Been over 100+ with heat index.
    So I guess my question is. If someone can make out the outline of a firearm, or happens to get a glimpse of it cause you are wearing a t-shirt or tank top, is this considered Brandising a firearm which
    is a crime? Or dose the fact that I have a c/c permit and or that o/c is legal cover this.

These are just one of the many questions that I sometimes ask myself as I read some of the posts
    Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards,
    Tom,

Just wanted to add that I dont O/C !!
    Talk to the authorities in your State : State Police, Permit Office. We're not experts here - and you get the felony - not us - for any well-meaning but incorrect info posted that you act on. Horses Mouth for the Law....

Links