Swearing=public intoxication in VA?

This is a discussion on Swearing=public intoxication in VA? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not sure if this is in the correct place or not so please feel free to move it. I was perusing some of the ...

Thread: Swearing=public intoxication in VA?

I'm not sure if this is in the correct place or not so please feel free to move it. I was perusing some of the VA State code on CCW and came across this and was wondering what some of you think.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308
    J1. Any person permitted to carry a concealed handgun, who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such handgun in a public place, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. Conviction of any of the following offenses shall be prima facie evidence, subject to rebuttal, that the person is "under the influence" for purposes of this section: manslaughter in violation of 18.2-36.1, maiming in violation of 18.2-51.4, driving while intoxicated in violation of 18.2-266, public intoxication in violation of 18.2-388, or driving while intoxicated in violation of 46.2-341.24. Upon such conviction that court shall revoke the person's permit for a concealed handgun and promptly notify the issuing circuit court. A person convicted of a violation of this subsection shall be ineligible to apply for a concealed handgun permit for a period of five years.
    My questioning is as it relates to this part (not that I've ever been convicted of this nor do I plan to):
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-388
    18.2-388. Profane swearing and intoxication in public; penalty; transportation of public inebriates to detoxification center.

If any person profanely curses or swears or is intoxicated in public, whether such intoxication results from alcohol, narcotic drug or other intoxicant or drug of whatever nature, he shall be deemed guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. In any area in which there is located a court-approved detoxification center a law-enforcement officer may authorize the transportation, by police or otherwise, of public inebriates to such detoxification center in lieu of arrest; however, no person shall be involuntarily detained in such center.

(Code 1950, 18.1-237; 1960, c. 358; 1964, c. 434; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1979, c. 654; 1982, c. 666; 1983, c. 187; 1990, c. 965.)
    I suppose that even if it doesn't mean intoxicated it can still bite you in the hind-quarters later. I'm pretty sure non-traffic-related Misdemeanors do affect your permit status in VA. So watch what you say in public folks! I just figured I'd throw this one out there and see what others have to say(ok so I have too much time on my hands).

Assistant Administrator
    I guess it goes to show that when we carry we remain on best behavior - (alert) ''discretion'' being perhaps the operative word.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

AHH yes grasshopper.With power, comes great responsibility

Wow, I better keep my mouth shut
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

We (MI) had a "no profanity in front of women or children" law that got struck down by the MI SC for being unconstituitional on grounds of discrimination by gender.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    When I moved to Virginia Beach in 1983 I was informed that you couldn't even have a beer in your front yard if it was visible to anyone walking by. If you did, you could be charged with public intoxication. I don't know if it was a Va Bch statute or state code. I never checked it out. I hadn't given it any thought in 23 yrs until I came across this thread. It doesn't make any difference to me now since my front porch is blocked from the road by a 100ft wide stand of trees.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova
    I'm not sure if this is in the correct place or not so please feel free to move it. I was perusing some of the VA State code on CCW and came across this and was wondering what some of you think.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

My questioning is as it relates to this part (not that I've ever been convicted of this nor do I plan to):
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-388

I suppose that even if it doesn't mean intoxicated it can still bite you in the hind-quarters later. I'm pretty sure non-traffic-related Misdemeanors do affect your permit status in VA. So watch what you say in public folks! I just figured I'd throw this one out there and see what others have to say(ok so I have too much time on my hands).
    OK, maybe I'm not reading, or understanding, but does this say that if you are convicted of maiming (which should get your CHP revoked anyway) that you are assumed to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs?

I'm confused.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Aw, hell ... I must be drunk.

Can't imagine there's a law on the books that claims an infraction for one "crime" makes you guilty of another. You'd merely be guilty of the first, in any place I can think of. Not sure I follow you on the logic/flow, though.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Hang on guys. The first code cite requires that you be a belligerent drunk to be transported to a detox center. Just being a friendly drunk won't get it done.

The other cite is just laying out the various violations that will get your permit revoked. They are all related to DUI. The manslaughter, maiming et. al. are all while DUI. Just follow the links from the orginial code cite, scroll down to para J1 which has the links to the other code cites which all deal with DUI offenses.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Links