Gettysburg National Battlefield Park

This is a discussion on Gettysburg National Battlefield Park within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have looked at the Park's web page and it only says that there may be some facilities that CC is not allowed. (Looks like ...

Thread: Gettysburg National Battlefield Park

I have looked at the Park's web page and it only says that there may be some facilities that CC is not allowed. (Looks like standard boilerplate language for all National parks.) It does not say which ones if any. Does any one know the carry restrictions for the Park? Thanks.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Lead Moderator
    This is one of those time when search is your friend, there have been almost 100 threads on different aspects of park carry. In general you must abide by State laws, and carry inside Federal (National Park Service) buildings is NOT allowed.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Building on rstickle's post, there are buildings you are allowed in...as long as they dont have federal employee administrative facilities. Unfortunately, you may not know from the outside (and all buildings might be posted, legally or not). For example certain shops and restaurants are run by non-govt orgs and would be ok to enter (based on state laws)...but if there is a park ranger office inside for example, then no.

My advice, as an ex-park ranger, is when locking up guns in cars in any park (or anywhere), lock it and all valuables in BEFORE you arrive at your destination, never let anyone see you hiding your stuff. Actually my advice in general is to never lock anything valuable in your car, period, but.....

Enjoy your visit to Gettysburg! I remember visiting as a girl scout. Very cool.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    FIREARM INFO DIRECTLY FROM THE FEDERAL WEB SITE.....................Firearms Information in the Northeast Region's National Parks

Firearms Law Information (updated 2.2.2010)
    The law governing possession of firearms inside a national park changed on February 22, 2010. Visitors may possess firearms within a national park unit provided they comply with federal, state, and local laws.

The role of the responsible gun owner is to know and obey the federal, state, and local laws appropriate to the park they are visiting.

Please remember that federal law prohibits firearms in certain park facilities and buildings. These places are marked with signs at public entrances.

For more specific information please select a state below:
    (Some links are currently inactive - Information is constantly being updated)

Connecticut
    Delaware
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    New Hampshire
    New Jersey
    New York
    Pennsylvania
    Rhode Island
    Vermont
    Virginia
    West Virginia

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Also, by law they have to have signage. So if you can't carry it will be very obvious. Probably this obvious.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Wife and I visited just a few weeks ago. Yes, the museum and other buildings will be off limits but, thanks to driving thru Mass, Maryland, Jersey and others, we decided not to take guns with us. Believe it or not, the gun display at Chicamaga battlefield museum in Georgia, blows Gettysburg away by at least a factor of 30. Seeing is believing.
    Be sure and do lunch or dinner in the tavern, downstairs.
    Going west about 25 miles you come to Chambersburg and, the best darn black powder gun store I have ever seen.

If it is like the Grand Canyon the buildings will be posted. The posting however may be just a little sign on the door saying firearms are prohibited. At the Grand Canyon it was just a black gun buster type sign with black lettering on the glass just like the sign saying only service animals were allowed inside.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    If it is like the Grand Canyon the buildings will be posted. The posting however may be just a little sign on the door saying firearms are prohibited. At the Grand Canyon it was just a black gun buster type sign with black lettering on the glass just like the sign saying only service animals were allowed inside.
    Huh, either it was a private concession or they had it posted wrong. A simple gun buster does not cover the federally mandated signage. Basically, from what I gather, the black text on the sign I posted must be present for it to be legal. Interesting. IANAL, this is not legal advice, bla bla. The full section is available at the link.

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be
    posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal
    facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted
    conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court
    facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under
    subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such
    notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had
    actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

US Code Title 18 Section 930
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

It may vary from one building to another. My wife and I visited Zion National Park in Utah last week. The visitor center (with the gift shop) was posted "no-guns," but the rest-room buildings and the bus-stop buildings were not posted.

My girlfriend manages the interpretive bookstores/giftshops at Zion...again, it has to do with whether or not there are federal employees assigned there (like to a information desk) or if they have offices in the building, etc.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Thanks everyone.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Sponsored Links