Opinions Needed For Newbie

This is a discussion on Opinions Needed For Newbie within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in NC and have spent the time and money for CCW. Now that I have my permit, I feel restricted about where I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Needed For Newbie

Opinions Needed For Newbie

I live in NC and have spent the time and money for CCW. Now that I have my permit, I feel restricted about where I can legally carry. I will explain why I feel that way.

I have chosen to work as a salesman which requires that I spend a lot of time out in the public. Sometimes I have to go places that I normally would never go. I have been approached so many times for money it isn't funny (about once every 2 weeks)! Most of the time I've been caught off guard, and it never happens the same way twice. As a sales guy, I work with some people (not many) that I don't turn my back on. Who would have ever though marketing would lead me into some of these places? There are days when I collect for services when I'll have $3,000 or more on me.

Anyway, I know that I have to have super awareness of my surroundings, try to keep away from trouble, etc. My problem is that I know I have a higher risk of having a crime committed against me, and I just want to be prepared for the worst. However, some of our laws get in the way of that goal. How does everyone else handle the grey area?! Where does your need for personal protection out-way legal consequences? Understand that I completely accept the reality of today's society, and the position I have put myself into regarding my job. Let me further muddy the water by saying that my choice of transportation is a Jeep with a soft top, which means no personal or property security. Heck, I haven't even begun to talk about when my wife and I take trips, or just go out. I am and have always been a law abiding citizen, it's just getting harder to be one. How does one equal the paying field, when you are expected to be responsible and law abiding, but the criminal isn't?

I'm not looking for legal answers, I understand those. I'm asking for your honest thoughts and opinions. Thanks alot, this is a great forum!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Hi and -

I guess NC folks would be best here to pick up on various specifics but - I sympathize with you greatly. You feel so often I expect - ''damned if I do - damned if I don't''.

In PA our restrictions are so modest and specific that I am sure your work here would be way easier - it's a pity some of the restrictions you have to cope with.

Grey areas tho are and I think always will be - matters for conscience, discretion, risk assessment etc - as long as we stay within the framework of law. I wish I had useful info to give but hope other input will cumulatively at least help your own thought process a bit.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

hi and welcome to the forums... :)
    The past 14 years I have made my living as a salesman. As a ccw holder, I have pondered ideas a plenty, to keep me from being a victim. I will carry even though my work would prefer me not to. I have never seen the rule "no weapons" in any of my past work environs or in the employees handbook.
    One of my arms that I carry in the workplace is a Colt mustang in a back pocket holster. Well hidden and outta sight. I deal with the public and they come to me.
    Since your type of work is a little different. You travel to customers to claim monies. I would have 2 guns. A primary and a back-up. A tactical pocket knife. A cell phone. A pair of mirrored sunglasses. Even OC pepper spray. Maybe other items that you can use depending on legality in that particular area of the country.
    There are companies that make steel boxes that can be bolted or welded to your jeep floor so that you can secure guns, money,etc. They are worth their weight in gold.
    My .02 ...

as a michigander, it'd be helpful to know what specific impediments you have to carrying....

there's the old saying, "If it's concealed, nobody needs to know about it"

Quote Originally Posted by Exmasonite
    it'd be helpful to know what specific impediments you have to carrying....

there's the old saying, "If it's concealed, nobody needs to know about it"
    I'd love a little more info as well on where exactly you are making your sales calls that are prohibiting you to carry before I feel I would be able to make an appropriate response. Are they places that have the "No Firearms" signs up? Restaurants that sell alcohol? Schools?

We definitely have more limitations here than a lot of other states, but it sure beats living in Maryland or DC.

I would ditch the car right off. Situational awareness is going to be your savior. Read all you can about it. If you are well-concealed you are on the right path. I will not disarm myself accept for physically at work ( small liberal art college ). I walk seven blocks to the football stadium in St. Louis, rough area. I carry and have had no problems...I come first as far as I'm concerned.
    Above all, be aware of your surroundings and carry yourself with modest aire of confidence. Walk straight and tall and look other people in the eyes. Don't stare, just give them the impression that you acknowledge them and most importantly are aware of their presence. Bad guys hate that.

Note: post edited by Team American.

I work a lot of restaurants that serve alcohol. I personally don't drink, but our laws here don't assume that I can go into a restaurant without ordering a drink. Even if it is strictly a business call I would be in the wrong (according to the law). I also use public library's to do layouts or emails, etc. I can't believe how many homeless and unemployed are there. It's not a safe place to leave a gun in a locked box in a jeep.

I guess I need to learn how to gather paper work in my jeep without losing situational awareness. Once I'm am approached, most guys leave me well alone after a quick "I'm not an ATM". There is usually too many people for me to keep track of, and work efficiently. I'll need to work on that.

Concealed means no one else knows, unless a police officer decides to talk to me. Not that it has ever happened, but there is the duty to inform...How would you handle that situation?

It just burns me up that honest citizens are treated like we are children who can't handle any responsibility. Why is it all so back-wards! Criminals have the home court advantage when it comes to laws. I guess I'm just going to have to fight for what is right, with the help of like minded individuals to make some changes around here (NC).

Quote Originally Posted by PuNacMC
    I work a lot of restaurants that serve alcohol. I personally don't drink, but our laws here don't assume that I can go into a restaurant without ordering a drink. Even if it is strictly a business call I would be in the wrong (according to the law).

Concealed means no one else knows, unless a police officer decides to talk to me. Not that it has ever happened, but there is the duty to inform...How would you handle that situation?

It just burns me up that honest citizens are treated like we are children who can't handle any responsibility. Why is it all so back-wards! Criminals have the home court advantage when it comes to laws. I guess I'm just going to have to fight for what is right, with the help of like minded individuals to make some changes around here (NC).
    The restaurant rule is total crap. You can't drink while carrying (logically) but they also double dip and say you can't even carry in a restaurant that serves. Considering the fact that CCW holders are the least likey to break the rules, you'd think that saying no drinking while carrying would be enough.

If a cop does talk you, I think the best thing to do is inform him that you are armed. One, it's the law. Two, if somehow it ended up being revealed later on that you were carrying, you'd be worse off than if you came straight out and said you had a gun. Hell, I think it's only a $100 fine or surrender of permit, your choice, for first offense.

Your car is definitely a security problem. I'm not going to suggest you have to get a new one because cars are so damn expensive these days and I don't know your financial situation (I know I can't afford a new car) but it is something to consider. Or maybe even buy a hard top for your Jeep?

As far as carrying in places where you're not supposed to .... that's a tough one. There are people that say, "Concealed is concealed" and others who argue that if you break the rules you're giving the CCW people a bad rap. It's a no win situation and something I think each person who carries must figure out on their own based on what their needs are.

Just my $.02
    Last edited by Todd; August 1st, 2006 at 07:26 PM.

Sucks man. I fortunately work in a place that has no official rule on CCW. Good luck with that.

Lead Moderator
    I do my very best to stay within the confines of the law. I use other legal means of defense that are legal when gun carry is not legal. Situational awareness is heightened in no carry areas.
    A lock box and perhaps parking in different areas might help some. Bottom line it is your butt on the line, either if you get attacked or stopped by PD. Use your best judgment and stay safe.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Rickstir is right. You need a secure vehicle. Get a good folder and carry it at all times. Get the biggest that is legal. Spray was also a good idea. I am never without a weapon of some sort. Like Rickstir said, walk like you own the street. I get a lot of looks but you would be surprised how that will get through a lot of bad areas. (used to work in Washington D.C. The bad sections.)

Work on it. You will find solutions.

Semper Fi

I too am in NC and can not add much. My only police encounters have been a single (my car only) car accident and an expired inspection sticker. Handed him my permit and told him there was a gun in the console. That is as far as it went.

As far as off limit places, I play by the rules, mine and theirs. Make your choices and be thankful and protective of the life God has given you. Sincerely, John

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Is there some other kind of license (like a PI) that will allow you to carry in those places that a regular CHL holder can not carry? If so and you are carrying a lot of monies maybe you can that kind of a license?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

As a nurse I can totally emphasize with your restrictions. It's the reason I do NOT do home health. I'm both legally and morally restricted in carrying at work. I do however maintain a quality folding knife in my work kit and have also studied martial arts since grade scool. Awareness levels peak when I'm unarmed and I always try to park in the most well lit areas I can find. I don't allow people to approach me to and from the vehicle unless I can call them by name. Take some seminars on edged weapons and Unarmed Self Defense from a reputable instructor and keep your head. Good luck.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Be aware and ready to exit the area at anytime....
    Even if you have to fight your way to the door...
    Carry less lethal defense tools on your person and learn how to use them to neutralize the threat...
    Practice defense techniques and stay in shape...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links