Hurt my back! Now what? - Page 2

Hurt my back! Now what?

This is a discussion on Hurt my back! Now what? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yup, good chiropractors make a world of difference....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Hurt my back! Now what?

Yup, good chiropractors make a world of difference.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    some states require that a gun LOOK like a gun. and some pocket holsters 'disguise' somewhat.
    and politicians being all knowing....

Holdster

hope this works for ua....and
    is my engrish gooder now?
    In Virginia, wallet holsters that cover the slide and can be fired from within the wallet holster are considered an AOW (any other weapon) and require a special AOW license stamp or they are illegal. The ones in which the slide is not covered (as shown in the link) are not considered AOWs in Virginia. Same issue with canes that have blades inside them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Hurt my back! Now what?
    Improvise....adapt.....Following some surgery 2 years ago I carried in crossdraw position for a couple of months. You'll surely think of a way.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Interesting little device... I'd never carry one, but more power to you if you think you can do it safely. I prefer holsters that cover the trigger guard. I don't want to have my gun go off when I sit down and a sucker some kid left in the seat catches through the pocket and pulls the trigger...
    with the 'holdster' or the belt clip, both of which leave the trigger unguarded, many who have purchased the product have had a total of -0- times that it fired unintended.
    I'm gonna go with: if you think something will happen , than do not tempt fate. do not use that product. there are many other types of pocket holsters to choose from so this is not a 'all or nothing' product. however...any in the pocket holster, that stays in the pocket, means that as you remove the gun from its holster, the trigger is being exposed. from my , and many others POV--its a difference that makes no difference. but what is inside your comfort zone is important. as i said--don't tempt fate.

that thing looks like an accident waiting to happen!

ArkhmAsylm; if that was indeed the case, would not there have been many, and prominent articles concerning these dangers. since we have not been reading about them in the last 10 or so years, it is likely because the reality of it is, there is no problem.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

What can be said more?

Appendix or pocket carry seems to be the ticket.

I use a Remora to appendix carry a G23. It's cheap and comfortable.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    with the 'holdster' or the belt clip, both of which leave the trigger unguarded, many who have purchased the product have had a total of -0- times that it fired unintended.
    I'm gonna go with: if you think something will happen , than do not tempt fate. do not use that product. there are many other types of pocket holsters to choose from so this is not a 'all or nothing' product. however...any in the pocket holster, that stays in the pocket, means that as you remove the gun from its holster, the trigger is being exposed. from my , and many others POV--its a difference that makes no difference. but what is inside your comfort zone is important. as i said--don't tempt fate.

that thing looks like an accident waiting to happen!

ArkhmAsylm; if that was indeed the case, would not there have been many, and prominent articles concerning these dangers. since we have not been reading about them in the last 10 or so years, it is likely because the reality of it is, there is no problem.
    Claude, I understand that some may prefer this design for whatever reason. I would think that one of the main reasons for a pocket holster is to cover the trigger to prevent ND/AD. I wouldn't expect to see any articles regarding issues with this design as I can't imagine there are alot of them out there.

On the comparison to "any in the pocket holster", that the trigger is being exposed as you remove the gun - that is the purpose of drawing from a holster, to expose the firearm for possible use, no? The trick there is that the trigger is not exposed until you wish it to be.

That's just my 'pull' on it.

Once Bitten: I'd like to add my voice to the chiropractor suggestions. Just over a year ago I somehow caused a heck of a pain in my back when I was merely leaning on our cat tree! I darned near ended up on the floor, & had a heck of a time moving. Went in my to Chiro & he worked on the issue. The pain was lessened greatly by the time I left & the next morning, nada! He's not bad for being a witch doctor!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    Claude, I understand that some may prefer this design for whatever reason. I would think that one of the main reasons for a pocket holster is to cover the trigger to prevent ND/AD. I wouldn't expect to see any articles regarding issues with this design as I can't imagine there are alot of them out there.
    On the comparison to "any in the pocket holster", that the trigger is being exposed as you remove the gun - that is the purpose of drawing from a holster, to expose the firearm for possible use, no? The trick there is that the trigger is not exposed until you wish it to be.

That's just my 'pull' on it.

Once Bitten: I'd like to add my voice to the chiropractor suggestions. Just over a year ago I somehow caused a heck of a pain in my back when I was merely leaning on our cat tree! I darned near ended up on the floor, & had a heck of a time moving. Went in my to Chiro & he worked on the issue. The pain was lessened greatly by the time I left & the next morning, nada! He's not bad for being a witch doctor!
    1st bold--one is accuracy with the holdster is 2" fast fire groups at 25'

2nd bold is that it keeps the gun from moving about; it maintains position in the pocket.

3rd bold --no gun fires till a finger pulls a trigger. this is true of a gun with its trigger exposed in a draw or in your pocket.

4th-- it has been on the market for more than 10 years and is usually back ordered. how is it that at first you did not know it existed and now you know how many have been made and sold?

id like to agree that different things work for different people for different reasons.
    cause you perceive it to be not as you think it should be in no way negates that it works well for others.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I've hurt myself in bed before, never while sleeping though. You know your getting old when you are more sore getting out of bed than you are getting in. I make more noise getting in bed now than I do when working.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

The older you get the more dangerous a "Power Nap" can be.

One possible temp solution is to move your IWB holster to 10 or 11 for cross draw. That is if your six pack hasn't inflated to a keg or it may prove difficult. If you have the ability to adjust the cant you may have to do some fine tuning to get it just right.

Chiropractor, heat/ice, lots and lots of walking (as much as you can take). You start feeling pain in your legs (sciatic) then time for a neurologist.

Been there, done that, got the surgery to boot. 3 years of sciatic pain in my left leg, now just over 2 years pain free-ish after surgery.

Never had any issues turning at the trunk however so I was able to stick with the 3:30 IWB (not that I need to turn to draw from there). Give your muscles a little time to get un-cranky. After a couple of days and you can't return to your normal carry, then look at other options. For the time being, I'd go with a simple fanny pack holster were I in your shoes. Can always use it for a man purse down the road when you get better.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Puleeze do not worry about a thing. I am from the govmint and obamacare. We will take care of everything.

Thanks for the reminder that the time to prepare for an injury is before the injury. I broke my strong hand and had to start from scratch with new holsters, etc. It never hurts to have options. At least you have good common sidearms that should be easy to find holsters for. Imagine trying to round up a lefty holster for something uncommon in a hurry.

I ran into the ATF re-interpretation of the wallet holster many years ago. It came out about a month after I bought an agency surplus .22mag Hi Standard derringer with holster attached. If you want a real wallet holster thats totally legal, get one. They transfer with a $5 tax stamp.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

OMO, but it sounds like you were napping in a bad biomechanical position and had a facet lock up. Gotta break the pain/inflamation cycle ASAP. Ibuprophen, ice and a good chiropractor will probably have you back to your old self in a few days.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Good advice offered on carry modes and means.

Having been a bad back sufferer for years (finally corrected with surgery last year), here's some good advice: get off the back, get horizontal, and take ibuprofen (Advil) to reduce muscular inflammation. More than anything else, the key to a quick recovery is to stay ahead of the pain. Pain all by itself creates its own set of problems. Also, if we try to keep moving around, pain avoidance causes us to shift how we carry our frame, which leads to cramping up muscles which aren't used to working in new ways, and that complicates and delays recovery.

Longer term, toning the core (abdominal and back) muscles, minimizing the gut and maintaining good posture all contribute to minimizing back problems (right up there with Mom's advice to eat slowly and chew your food well).
    Wow, welcome to my world of pain! I've had a herniated disc for years and when it goes out, it feels like someone shoved a dagger into the spine. The slightest irregular action is what gets me, the last time being stepping out of a pair of shorts!

The traditional "back treatments" may not help a lot for disc issues (more than just a "strain"); time is what heals (until the next bout). I find sleeping the the recliner better than a bed when it flairs up. Lying horizontal makes it next to impossible to arise.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Cross-draw or a fanny pack...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links