Hurt my back! Now what?

This is a discussion on Hurt my back! Now what? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK so I am starting to feel old! I threw my back out somehow while taking a nap! Well, I felt fine before and when ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Hurt my back! Now what?

Hurt my back! Now what?

OK so I am starting to feel old! I threw my back out somehow while taking a nap! Well, I felt fine before and when i Awoke i could not move.
    Normally I carry my G29 IWB at about 4:30 and my SR9C on my left ankle in a Blackhawk holster! ( both work excellently).
    Now I can't reach my ankle or turn far enough to reach my Glock so I am forced to go unarmed! I can only hope this goes away soon!
    I do everything the voices in my wife's head tell me to do!

Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post
    OK so I am starting to feel old! I threw my back out somehow while taking a nap!
    Huh! what the heck were you dreaming about and what was her name....
    Hopyard, Riana and INccwchris like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

What about appendix carry? Do you have a holster that would work for that? or a small gun that you could pocket carry? Oh and hope you feel better soon!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    heck, if you are all that old, how far could you throw it?

time for pocket carry a P380 type; front probably will be less stressful for you.
    try the artofthehide holdster. $45. though not legal in all states. (47 i think are).
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Ouch! I second the idea to do appendix carry if possible, or pocket carry.

On a completely unrelated note, Claude do you have a link to that holster? I've never heard of a holster that was illegal in any state. What makes it so?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    some states require that a gun LOOK like a gun. and some pocket holsters 'disguise' somewhat.
    and politicians being all knowing....

Holdster

hope this works for ua....and
    is my engrish gooder now?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Well, I hope you get better real soon. You could always use a shotgun as a crutch!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

TVJ
    Appendix Carry

Dale Frickie Archangel holster.

Stay armed

Adapt.

http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/products.htm
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Interesting little device... I'd never carry one, but more power to you if you think you can do it safely. I prefer holsters that cover the trigger guard. I don't want to have my gun go off when I sit down and a sucker some kid left in the seat catches through the pocket and pulls the trigger...
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Good advice offered on carry modes and means.

Having been a bad back sufferer for years (finally corrected with surgery last year), here's some good advice: get off the back, get horizontal, and take ibuprofen (Advil) to reduce muscular inflammation. More than anything else, the key to a quick recovery is to stay ahead of the pain. Pain all by itself creates its own set of problems. Also, if we try to keep moving around, pain avoidance causes us to shift how we carry our frame, which leads to cramping up muscles which aren't used to working in new ways, and that complicates and delays recovery.

Longer term, toning the core (abdominal and back) muscles, minimizing the gut and maintaining good posture all contribute to minimizing back problems (right up there with Mom's advice to eat slowly and chew your food well).
    Hopyard, 9MMare and Snider like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post
    I threw my back out somehow while taking a nap!

I'm searching for something really clever but all I can cone up with is, Yep, you are old you 'ol dinosaur bone.

As a fellow G29 carrier, I feel sympathy for you.

WRT your need for pain-free carry, I too recommend a pocket carry. For me, it's a wheelie (S&W 360 with full load 357 maggie numbs).

OR, lay back down, recreate whatever it is that made you cripple yourself, and maybe it will reverse itself.

...and get well soon
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    OP, it does look like alternative carry techniques are called for. Hope your issue is resolved soon.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    some states require that a gun LOOK like a gun. and some pocket holsters 'disguise' somewhat.
    and politicians being all knowing....

Holdster
    Dude!! That's not a holdster (or a holster), it's a holester...that thing looks like an accident waiting to happen!

I found this to be an interesting read while researching this "any other weapon" classification:

ATF Online - Firearms - Guides - Identification of Firearms

That probably rules out my next purchase: Gallery: Top Ten Weird iPhone 4 accessories : Shiny Shiny
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Recently had a slip/fall in the shower & damn near broke a few ribs. I spent the next 4 weeks only pocket carrying a 357 magnum j-frame. It was the only thing that was accessible and concealed well.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    As one who was once wheeled out of my office, face down on a garbage can, I truly feel your pain. It doesn't take much of a wrong move for some of us to end up crawling on all fours.

I have happily avoided any episodes the last decade or so. Things that help-- 1) What Gasmitty wrote. 2) Lots of cushioning of the heels of my shoes. 3) Core strengthening and flexibility.

I think that instead of worrying about how you will carry, you should plan on recovering from your present acute episode. You might recover quickly, a couple of days, and the carry issue will go away. Good luck.

What gasmitty said!

And I'd also recommend you check out a chiropractor. I've had back issues similar to yours, and the chiropractor helped a lot. If you go often enough and follow their advice, you can avoid that surgery altogether.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links