Traveling to CA.

This is a discussion on Traveling to CA. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, I work for a engineering firm, so I'm having to brush up on my state gun laws. Quick question: Would like some clarification ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Traveling to CA.

Traveling to CA.

Hi guys,
    I work for a engineering firm, so I'm having to brush up on my state gun laws. Quick question: Would like some clarification on CA carry/handgun laws. I know Cali DOES NOT recognize my state's (NC) CCP, but I'm going to be there for a few weeks working, then driving back to NC, so I want at least one of my handguns with me.

I've looked through HandgunLaw, & other sites but can't seem to find answers for my specific questions.

1.Will I be protected under the FOPA if my handgun is kept in my hotel room, or locked in a case in the vehicle while I work??

2. How does the high-cap mag ban affect NON-Residents?? all the mags I own are at least 12 rnds.

3. If I do carry, say end of day out to dinner, I'm under the impression I'll be breaking the law??

Thanks,

Matt

2. Remove Ads

1. I think it is ok, but not completly sure. I did it that way the last time I went to CA.
    2. I don't think you can legally bring a 12 rnd mag into CA. I had to buy a 10 round mag for my pistol when I went 2 years ago.
    3. I believe you will be breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by futinshool View Post
    1. I think it is ok, but not completly sure. I did it that way the last time I went to CA.
    2. I don't think you can legally bring a 12 rnd mag into CA. I had to buy a 10 round mag for my pistol when I went 2 years ago.
    3. I believe you will be breaking the law.
    1. You cannot keep a loaded gun locked in your car (the magazine must be kept separately.) Loaded in your room is fine, but I wouldn't leave it there while I was gone!
    futinshool is correct on 2 and 3.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

GAHH!!.. freaking Komifornia...

I'm not buying 10 rnd mags just to take em out when I cross outta there.. & the gun I was planning to carry, 10 rnders are not available for it anyway.

EDIT: Actually, after doing some looking around, NONE of my handguns have 10 rnd mags on the market.

Oh well. Guess I'll pray I dont have a run-in with LEO's.

sounds like you shouldn't be taking a gun with you then
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

You know, It just rubs me wrong to see an State website say, "No. You may not carry a weapon if you are not a resident".

SCREW FREAKING CALIFORNIA..

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    sounds like you shouldn't be taking a gun with you then
    Oh I'm taking one. I'm not driving a vehicle by myself across country without one.

I was born and raised in california

Here the deal with the high caps - you can have them, however you cannot load them, or place them into the weapon. As long as they where legally purchased out of state. You cannot at anytime in the state have a loaded firearm in your car. You do have to have your ammo seperate from your firearm- That is locked seperate. Your firearm cannot be easily accessed while driving the vehicle, neither can your ammunition. That is to say, if your weapon is in your trunk, and your ammo is in the back seat your good. You can have your weapon loaded in your hotel room, however not with the high caps. Depending on where your going, depends on how harsh they are on these laws. Im from a place called Bakersfield, people and LE tend to be more gun tolerant. DO not play though, your firearm will be confiscated, you will be fined - heavily- and the chances of you getting your firearm back prior to a lengthy waiting period is nill. However, you can have a bag - like a 5.11 tac shoulder bag- with seperate zipper containers - place your unloaded firearm in the compartment locked with small key locks(like for a suitcase), and the loaded mag in another - locked or not your choice ( the mag) - and your Legal. You can walk down the street with your ammo locked up and your weapon unloaded on your hip. See California's laws on Lawfull unloaded Open Carry. Again, if the high-cap mag is loaded, it can be assumed that your intend to use it in the firearm, and your screwed. Hope this helps. I was Born in California - no choice - RESIDENT OF TEXAS BY THE GRACE OF GOD

One way to have the gun of your choice for the trip is to stop at a gunshop outside of the state and drop off your gun for a "cleaning". You can get it cleaned and inspected by a gunsmith and it will sleep safe and secure and legal in a shop safe until you come back to pick it up for the return trip.

I wouldn't trust the laws in CA to carry there under questionable circumstances, my family likes having me around too much.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

You know what is so sad about this thread (and so many like it)?? Here we have someone who is twisting himself into knots to try and do the right thing so he will be able to defend himself if needed. A law abiding citizen. In CA (and other places) there are 10,000 gang bangers running around with guns stuffed in their pants and nothing happens to them. I am sure that the local LE knows who a lot of them are. There is something so wrong with this...

Get a small lock box that opens with a key that can be cabled around the passenger seat frame. Put the unloaded firearm in the box and leave the key in the lock. Put the mag in the center console where you can reach it quickly. The requirement is that the firearm and the ammo have to be separated by a lock, the glove box doesn't count. As long as you aren't doing anything dumb you won't have a problem.....don't open carry an unloaded firearm and don't carry on your person without a permit..it's not worth it.
    FYI....just so you know, the first offense for carrying a firearm without a permit, if the firearm belongs to you and you don't have gang affiliations is a misdemeanor but you probably won't get your weapon back anytime soon and it could affect your carry status where you reside as well as your next gun purchase. I'm not sure how or if that would show up when they run your name through the system.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic30 View Post
    Here the deal with the high caps - you can have them, however you cannot load them, or place them into the weapon. As long as they where legally purchased out of state. You cannot at anytime in the state have a loaded firearm in your car. You do have to have your ammo seperate from your firearm- That is locked seperate. Your firearm cannot be easily accessed while driving the vehicle, neither can your ammunition. That is to say, if your weapon is in your trunk, and your ammo is in the back seat your good. You can have your weapon loaded in your hotel room, however not with the high caps. Depending on where your going, depends on how harsh they are on these laws. Im from a place called Bakersfield, people and LE tend to be more gun tolerant. DO not play though, your firearm will be confiscated, you will be fined - heavily- and the chances of you getting your firearm back prior to a lengthy waiting period is nill. However, you can have a bag - like a 5.11 tac shoulder bag- with seperate zipper containers - place your unloaded firearm in the compartment locked with small key locks(like for a suitcase), and the loaded mag in another - locked or not your choice ( the mag) - and your Legal. You can walk down the street with your ammo locked up and your weapon unloaded on your hip. See California's laws on Lawfull unloaded Open Carry. Again, if the high-cap mag is loaded, it can be assumed that your intend to use it in the firearm, and your screwed. Hope this helps. I was Born in California - no choice - RESIDENT OF TEXAS BY THE GRACE OF GOD
    Now isn't that so generous of Commiefornia, they'll let you carry an empty gun! WOW! I'd rather have a hammer. They deserve what they have. When you vote for stupid politicians...you get stupid laws! As long as people go there, and spend money there, it won't ever change. Hit them in their wallets, they'll catch on eventually.

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by mstomb View Post
    You know what is so sad about this thread (and so many like it)?? Here we have someone who is twisting himself into knots to try and do the right thing so he will be able to defend himself if needed. A law abiding citizen. In CA (and other places) there are 10,000 gang bangers running around with guns stuffed in their pants and nothing happens to them. I am sure that the local LE knows who a lot of them are. There is something so wrong with this...
    Exactly.
    Absolutely nuts.

I DO like the gunshop idea, but I'm flying out. Looks like I'm just going to carry & try my best to avoid any situation that would lead to a LEO confrontation. & its not so much defending myself in Cali, as it is the cross country trip back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Medic30 View Post
    Medic30, you absolutely do not know what you are talking about with regard to CA law.

To the OP,

1. Yes, CA laws suck!
    2. You can have a loaded handgun in your hotel room. The hotel room is your residence.
    3. You can keep a handgun in your vehicle if it is in a locked container (not the glove box or center console). Loaded magazines can be kept in the same locked container, but cannot be inserted into the gun. You can drive around like this to your heart's content. No restrictions on where you can drive (excepting military bases, federal facilities, etc.).
    4. You cannot legally bring your 12-round magazines into the state, unless they are disassembled. You can block them to hold only 10 rounds, but the modification has to be permanent. If you are caught with +10 magazines, it would not be too far of a stretch to assume that you imported them since you are from out of state.
    5. You cannot concealed carry your handgun at any time (legally).
    6. There are provisions for carrying openly, but the gun must be unloaded. However, in doing this, there are other restrictions such as school zone rules that can get you into hot water. I do not recommend carrying openly. You will likely be stopped by the police if you do so. Not because you are necessarily doing anything illegal, but because the ninnys get nervous and call MWAG to the police.

Welcome to California. Do yourself a favor and get in and out as fast as you can.
    mprp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elitematch View Post
    Oh well. Guess I'll pray I dont have a run-in with LEO's.
    Good Luck! You have no idea how much of a risk your taking. Just don't make the stupid mistake in thinking your constitutional rights mean ANYTHING once you cross that border. There is no such thing as a "fair" trial if you arrested with a gun in a commie state. I know, I'm from one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links