Responsibilities of carrying a concealed handgun

This is a discussion on Responsibilities of carrying a concealed handgun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am doing a concealed weapons brief tomorrow at work and I am just looking for more ideas on what everyone thinks are the main ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Responsibilities of carrying a concealed handgun

I am doing a concealed weapons brief tomorrow at work and I am just looking for more ideas on what everyone thinks are the main responsibilities of carrying a concealed weapon? Thanks in advance guys!
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Training, consistency in EDC equipment, mindset. All are good topics to inform about
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member
    Know your rights, know the laws, know the rules (not the same thing), know your equipment, know yourself.

Those more eloquent than I can elaborate, but I think these concepts summarize it pretty well.

TVJ
    KNOW YOUR STATES CIVILIAN USE OF FORCE/LETHAL FORCE LAW COLD

COLD

Avoid any form of the Monkey Dance

From Rory Miller:

This human dominance game, the Monkey Dance, follows specific steps. You have all seen it:

A hard, aggressive stare.
    A verbal challenge, e.g., “What you lookin’ at?”
    An approach, often with the signs of increased adrenaline: gross motor activity of arm swinging or chest bobbing, a change in color, usually with the skin flushing.
    As the two square-off, there may be more verbal exchanges and then one will make contact. It will usually be a two-handed push on the chest or an index finger to the chest. If it is an index finger to the nose it will go immediately to step No. 5. If there is no face contact, this step can be repeated many times until one of the dancers throws
    A big, looping over-hand punch.
    This description is simplified and shows only one side. It must be emphasized that there have been thousands of generations conditioned to play this game in this way. It is easy to get sucked in and a very difficult thing to walk away. Backing down from a Monkey Dance, unless you take or are given a face-saving out, is extremely difficult and embarrassing, especially for young men.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Professional training.

That should envelop everything else.

Oh, and 'always carry, never tell'
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Not shooting innocent people.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

To be safe to the world around you.

To be restrained and mature in your interactions with people.

To be of sound mind and body.

To know when and how to use or not use your firearm.

To know when/where to and not to carry.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

I mentioned this on another thread: the responsibility that accompanies your ability to levy lethal force is huge. You must now avoid confrontations, not engage them. You must de-escalate any potentially bad situation, not cause it to come to a head. You have to be the bigger person, and not allow inconsequential transgressions to become sparks of lethal force scenarios. That means no more middle fingers in traffic and no more FU's to people who are total a/0's and probably deserve a beat down. I think everyone goes through a period of "I'm a badass" when they first start carrying, but for most of us, that quickly wears off. I also agree with the above comments: know your laws, know your gear, engage in meaningful training. If you're discussing lethal force, you could discuss AOJP. Courts have ruled shootings legitimate if all four are present: A=ability of the BG to do you harm. O= opportunity. This usually revolves around proximity, but depends on the weapon. A man with a knife calling you out across the street doesn't have opportunity. A man across the street with a rifle does. J= jeopardy. If you do nothing, might you suffer grave consequences. P= preclusion. Did you do everything in your ability to prevent the situation? Was your application of lethal force the absolute last resort? Some silly states even have an obligation to retreat. Ugh......
    bigdog44 and vrez like this.

Good things mentioned already, but don't forget about being a member of defensivecarry.com ...lots to learn about here.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How about remember to load your gun? And then the above are right on....
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Don't think you're a superhero or a cop because you have a CCW. Plus the other good suggestions above
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

There are innumerable issues we discuss here. You do not mention the makeup of the audience, the reason(s) they have for being there, their experience or knowledge of cc, etc. That always determines the content of any briefing. The subject matter at hand can be adapted many different ways.

Not knowing to whom you are giving this briefing and why, the Number 1 issue my wife and I had to face was simply: could we take another's life in the face of imminent death or grave bodily harm? Then we had to learn what constitutes imminent death or grave bodily harm, and have a detailed knowledge of the state laws where we live and travel.

The issues of gun type, holster selection, concealment strategy, etc. are all minor technical details. Even all this vaunted pistol "training" people tout is a pretty minor detail compared to the vital need to clearly understand under what circumstances you are justified in taking another's life.

Every incident of the use of lethal defense using a concealed weapon I have studied DOES NOT involve someone who spent a bunch of money on CQB or arms training. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that most armed citizens are not going to be Thunder Ranch graduates. They'll simply be ordinary citizens who were fortunate to have a gun on their person when some attacker showed up.
    9MMare, BugDude and vrez like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    the Number 1 issue my wife and I had to face was simply: could we take another's life in the face of imminent death or grave bodily harm?
    Having a gun stuck in your face and your car/possessions stolen makes this a non-issue anymore. My happiest day was pointing him out on a mug sheet. Next.

Know the laws, know your training, know your limits, know your backstop, and know your target (meaning you correctly identify the aggressor and the situation).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Knowledge, Ability, Wisdom...and knowing the difference
    Some important distinctions between these terms that I have come to learn from this forum:

1) Knowledge - obtaining the technical knowledge of what to carry, how to carry, how to employ a firearm, etc.

2) Ability - obtaining the technical skills and ability to employ the knowledge above.

3) Wisdom - practicing strategies and techniques to avoid having to employ that knowledge and ability and recognizing the time when it comes that you can't avoid it and must employ it, then knowing how to handle the aftermath.

*** Most people capable of basic learning can obtain various levels of knowledge, and ability. Wisdom, on the other hand, is a judgement that is learned from either first hand experience or the depth of understanding to learn from the experiences of others.

In my personal opinion, knowledge and ability without wisdom is like building a dragster race car capable of going 300 miles per hour without considering the braking system until you cross the finish line the first time. Too late.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links