Wisconsin SB-93 Personal Protection Act Fact Sheet, published by NRA-ILA

This is a discussion on Wisconsin SB-93 Personal Protection Act Fact Sheet, published by NRA-ILA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The link: http://www.nraila.org/pdfs/PPA%20Sum...20Governor.pdf...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wisconsin SB-93 Personal Protection Act Fact Sheet, published by NRA-ILA

JD likes this.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the update. The Gov was supposed to sign it today. Did he?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Signing it Friday, July 8, 2011, 2:30 PM CST in Wausau, WI. The bill was sponsored by State Senator Galloway, from Wausau.

Congrats Wisconsin!!!
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I am new to this reciprocity thing... but once it's signed, are Minnesota residents with permits set to carry in Wisconsin?

VIP Member
    That'll be a good friday, for sure.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Thanks for the info. It seems that soon I'll be able to cross the river and hang out in WI while carrying (and feeling safer). I've heard it is a beautiful state.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I am new to this reciprocity thing... but once it's signed, are Minnesota residents with permits set to carry in Wisconsin?
    It seems that way.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Good news!

Allows non-residents who have concealed weapons licenses issued by any other state to carry in Wisconsin as long as that jurisdiction requires licensees to submit to a criminal background check comparable to that required for a Wisconsin carry license or the person’s license indicates that he or she volunteered for such a background check.
    �� Authorizes DOJ to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states that may require them in order to honor Wisconsin licenses.
    Authorizes DOJ to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states that may require them in order to honor Wisconsin licenses.
    NOTE that WI residents CANNOT get a non-resident permit from another state and expect WI to honor it. You MUST get a WI RESIDENT permit.

However, note you are required to carry your other ID with you at all times when CCing outside the place where you are residing (like at a guest house/hotel/etc)

Requires concealed weapons licensees to be in possession of their licenses at all times while carrying a concealed weapon off of their own property. In addition, licensees must carry a Wisconsin operator’s license or identification card. Non-residents carrying concealed weapons using an out-of-state license must carry similar forms of identification issued by their state.
    Other highlights (man this bill really knocks down a bunch of things all at once that other states had to go slowly for year after year! Great news!)

Public records protection:
    Specifies that the state may not make licensee information available to the public except in the context of a prosecution for an offense in which the person’s status as a licensee is relevant.
    Bar AND liquor license restaurant exemption, provided no alcohol is consumed
    Exempts licensees from the prohibition against possessing a handgun in establishments that serve alcohol for on-premise consumption as long as the licensee is not consuming alcohol.
    Here's an interesting one, should really help to reduce the places that post gunbuster signs:
    Offers liability protections for those who choose not to prohibit the carrying of concealed weapons on their properties.

This is great news. I visit WI a few times a year and would love to be carrying. Awesomeness.

Wow! Congrats WI!
    WI has some very detailed and concise information in this new law.
    Did I read it correctly on places restricted? Schools are not mentioned?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

They are off limits now. However, the open carry law that prevents carrying any firearm onto school property has a basically unenforceable 1,000 foot rule where firearms are not permitted. Pretty much every hunter in the state has at least unknowingly violated that law because schools are often put on the main roads in the cities. It's never been used without someone breaking another law first.

The CC law will repeal that stupid 1,000 foot rule for all CC permit holders. Basically, everyone who uses a firearm in Wisconsin should get a CC permit just for that alone. It also allows those transporting firearms onto whatever property and to be kept in our personal vehicles. Some very big concessions to current law are being given to CC permit holders.

As it stands, schools are now given the option to allow CC or not. They are local municipalities that can decide for themselves. If a school is not posted, then someone with CC permit can OC or CC in a school. As it stands, they can walk outside of the school with a permit now.

Doesn't go into effect until Nov1, though.

So, from what I've read from the link, and out of state person with a valid permit can carry there? I mean.. without taking a CC course from a Certified Wisconsin Instructor?

Quote Originally Posted by YANG View Post
    So, from what I've read from the link, and out of state person with a valid permit can carry there? I mean.. without taking a CC course from a Certified Wisconsin Instructor?
    Yes, but you will also need to carry your state's ID as well. Also, the permit needs have had a criminal background check similar to WI's own check. Keep in mind, though, that this does not go into effect immediately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links